a repeat region within a repeat region

Post by Craig S » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 06:55:16

The setup of this scenario is stumping me.  Here's the scoop:

I have 2 database tables.  One is a client projects table and the other is a
client tasks table.  The tasks table hold the subdivisions of all projects.
The projects table is linked to the client record and the tasks table is
linked to both the project id the task falls under and the client record.
(by linked, i mean that there is a column for the client's name in the
projects table, and columns for both the client's name and project id that
each task is related to)

I have set up a recordset to pull up all projects for a given client with
repeat region.  The next part is what's stumping me:

I'd like to list all the tasks under each project that the above mentioned
recordset pulls up. This would essentially require a repeat region within
the main repeat region.  Seems like the right thing to do but I can't for
the life of me figure out how to set up the recordset filter to match the
task id# to the project id#.  It had to be dynamic depending on the project
that its under.

Confused?  I sure am.  Any thoughts on how to match this second recordset up
with the first on a per record basis.

ie.

Project 1
        Task 1 related to project 1
        Task 2 related to project 1
        Task 3 related to project 1
Project 2
        Task 4 related to project2
        Task 4 related to project2

--
Regards,

Webmaster / Server Admin

http://www.eliquid.com
(519) 973-1930

a repeat region within a repeat region

it's called a nested repeat region and there are instructions and extensions
for it at www.basic-ultradev.com

--
Nancy Gill
Team Macromedia Volunteer for UltraDev

> The setup of this scenario is stumping me.  Here's the scoop:

> I have 2 database tables.  One is a client projects table and the other is
> client tasks table.  The tasks table hold the subdivisions of all
projects.
> The projects table is linked to the client record and the tasks table is
> linked to both the project id the task falls under and the client record.
> (by linked, i mean that there is a column for the client's name in the
> projects table, and columns for both the client's name and project id that
> each task is related to)

> I have set up a recordset to pull up all projects for a given client with
> repeat region.  The next part is what's stumping me:

> I'd like to list all the tasks under each project that the above mentioned
> recordset pulls up. This would essentially require a repeat region within
> the main repeat region.  Seems like the right thing to do but I can't for
> the life of me figure out how to set up the recordset filter to match the
> task id# to the project id#.  It had to be dynamic depending on the
project
> that its under.

> Confused?  I sure am.  Any thoughts on how to match this second recordset
up
> with the first on a per record basis.

> ie.

> Project 1
>         Task 1 related to project 1
>         Task 2 related to project 1
>         Task 3 related to project 1
> Project 2
>         Task 4 related to project2
>         Task 4 related to project2

> --
> Regards,

> Webmaster / Server Admin

> http://www.eliquid.com
> (519) 973-1930

1. Nesting Repeat region in the middle of another repeat region

I know how to do a nested repeat region when the nested region is at the end
of the parent repeat region but I have to create a nested region that falls
in the middle of the parent region. For example, I apply a regular repeat
region to the entire table that holds the recordset (5 rows altogether).
Then I select only the 2nd row which I want to be the nested region. Then
from rows 3-5, the parent repeat region continues. I've tried doing it this
way but it only works successfully for the first record. The second record
onward only repeats the parent repeat region and does not process the nested
repeat region.

Any ideas on how to do this either with sql or repeat regions.

I'm using DWmx, Access97 (the above I did in DW UD4 Thomas Muck's nested
repeat region server behaviour)

2. Net Services Problem

3. Repeat Region - Repeat Region -Repeat Region !!!!

4. need help: submit-action?

5. Delete Record within a Repeat Region

6. Rollover Drop-Down Boxes

7. Repeat region within a form text box.

8. Subtotals for level break within repeat region

9. Updates within repeat region

10. Problem with repeat region within ASPemail body

11. Grouping and titling records within a repeat region

12. Multiple Insert within a Repeat Region