OT -- purpose of temp folder in XP ?

Post by [ [ [ [ [[]] ] ] ] » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 02:18:48

Hi, sorry to ask this here but I don't know anyone who might have the answer
to this:

What is the purpose of  this "temp" folder under administrator settings in
Windows XP?

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp

There are over 1 G of files in this folder...are they duplicates which can
be erased without damaging their originals?

Thanks.

OT -- purpose of temp folder in XP ?

Post by Jerry Bake » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 05:19:18

Quote:

> Hi, sorry to ask this here but I don't know anyone who might have the answer
> to this:

> What is the purpose of  this "temp" folder under administrator settings in
> Windows XP?

> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp

> There are over 1 G of files in this folder...are they duplicates which can
> be erased without damaging their originals?

> Thanks.

That's where temporary stuff is stored. Just like C:\Windows\Temp in
Windows 95 & 98.

--
Jerry Baker

Automatic predefined ALT and TITLE text for all images
Insert Image+ Extension
http://dreamweaver.bakerweb.biz/insert_image.html

OT -- purpose of temp folder in XP ?

Post by Alla » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 06:01:24

but can it safely be deleted...i too have a monstrous temp folder

> > Hi, sorry to ask this here but I don't know anyone who might have the
answer
> > to this:

> > What is the purpose of  this "temp" folder under administrator settings
in
> > Windows XP?

> > C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp

> > There are over 1 G of files in this folder...are they duplicates which
can
> > be erased without damaging their originals?

> > Thanks.

> That's where temporary stuff is stored. Just like C:\Windows\Temp in
> Windows 95 & 98.

> --
> Jerry Baker

> Automatic predefined ALT and TITLE text for all images
> Insert Image+ Extension
> http://dreamweaver.bakerweb.biz/insert_image.html

OT -- purpose of temp folder in XP ?

Post by David R. Wheele » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 06:47:38

Yes, with a work of caution... if you get a prompt that <filename> or <foldername> is a system file *do not* tell it to delete it.

Files that can be safely deleted include temporary setup files, downloaded program files, temporary internet files, old chkdsk files, the recycle bin, temporary files, temporary office files, offline files, and old catalog files for the content indexer (if indexing is turned on).

The safest method for doing this is to run Disk Cleanup. ( Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup ). It's also available in the right-click context menu in My Computer ( Right-click on a drive icon | Properties | General | Disk Cleanup ).

If you do decide to do this manually, it's safer to leave all files modified within the past seven days.

HTH

--

Dave

<hint>Press F1, you might be surprised</hint>

1. How to clean Internet temp Folder?

you can't stop it .

change extension of txt file to say .... gif
flash can load it and on the first hand user won't realize , if they really
want to find they will no matter what you do anyway.....

2. Script error.....i think? HELP!!!

3. Protect swf file from being downloaded into Temp Folder

4. FORM_MAIL

5. QW3 TRIALWILL NOT INSTALL SOMETHING ABOUT TEMP FOLDER

6. can this be done?

7. forcing cache to temp files folder

8. Reord thats are not show when a date passes!

9. Windows Temp Folder

10. Temp folder

11. Temp folder overload

12. find Temp folder