Changing screens and click buttons uses and doesn't return memory

Changing screens and click buttons uses and doesn't return memory

Post by Jeshu » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 09:54:02

I have a application that when clicking buttons and opening screens the memory (viewed via task manager in Win NT4) goes up.  When I return to the main screen the memory doesn't return to what it was before clicking or changing screens.  I have used memory sleuth from turbopower but it doesn't report any changes!  Does anyone know what may be happening.  I'm using Delphi 4.  This application is a long term run app so several months maybe required and increases in memory usuage is a concern.

Changing screens and click buttons uses and doesn't return memory

Post by Flavius Vespasianu » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 10:56:19

Quote:

> I have a application that when clicking buttons and opening screens the
> memory (viewed via task manager in Win NT4) goes up.  When I return to
> the main screen the memory doesn't return to what it was before
> clicking or changing screens.  I have used memory sleuth from
> turbopower but it doesn't report any changes!  Does anyone know what
> may be happening.  I'm using Delphi 4.  This application is a long term
> run app so several months maybe required and increases in memory usuage
> is a concern.

Memory allocators generally work by enlarging the virtual address space to
create large chunks of memory. From these, it allocates and returns the
chunks for applications. The allocators generally do not shrink the virtual
address space once memory is returned.

If your memory sleuth says you are not losing memory then take its word.

Changing screens and click buttons uses and doesn't return memory

Post by Jeshu » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 11:44:01

Thanks,

That makes sense.  Another interesting thing I found was that when
minimising lots of memory was returned and maximising brought the levels up
again (but not to the same level).  I suppose that the virtual memory is
returned when minimising and as the app requires it more memory is
allocated.

> > I have a application that when clicking buttons and opening screens the
> > memory (viewed via task manager in Win NT4) goes up.  When I return to
> > the main screen the memory doesn't return to what it was before
> > clicking or changing screens.  I have used memory sleuth from
> > turbopower but it doesn't report any changes!  Does anyone know what
> > may be happening.  I'm using Delphi 4.  This application is a long term
> > run app so several months maybe required and increases in memory usuage
> > is a concern.

> Memory allocators generally work by enlarging the virtual address space to
> create large chunks of memory. From these, it allocates and returns the
> chunks for applications. The allocators generally do not shrink the
virtual
> address space once memory is returned.

> If your memory sleuth says you are not losing memory then take its word.

1. Printed copy doesn't look like what's on screen

I guess this is probably a common problem.  I have a photo that looks
beautiful on my screen and lousy on the printer.  It is a high quality
printer.  I am actually making these photos for a brochure, but it
won't be printed using this printer.  I'm not sure what to do.  I guess
I could alter the image, perhaps through trial and error, so it looks
good on the printer and lousy on the screen.  But I don't know if that
makes any sense since we are using an outside printing company to print
the brochures.  I realize I could go trial and error with the printing
company's printer, but I am wondering what else I can do.  There are a
lot of shots and there would probably be several back and forths for
each shot.  Is there a question I can ask the printing company, or a
color profile I can get from them, so I don't have to view each tweaked
version of each shot that their printer prints?

Thanks,

Peter

2. Strange transformation tool behavior

3. My right mouse button doesn't work in MAX 4.2

4. Extensions by hardware

5. Right Mouse Button doesn't react anymore

6. X ware

7. glDeleteTextures doesn't free memory??

8. Riva TNT allocates lot of memory and doesn't free it

9. Button, Button, who's got the button?

10. Changing Colors - Replace Color doesn't do it

11. tool cursor doesn't change