Icons at more than 16 colours in D5?

Post by Martin Holme » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 04:38:32

HI there,

I'm trying to assign an icon to Application.Icon in D5, and it seems
that even if the icon is at 256 colours, Delphi converts it to 16
colours (which looks pretty bad). So my questions are:

1. Is there any way to make D5 accept/display 256-colour icons for the
application?

2. Do later versions of Delphi have better support for higher colour
depths in application.icon?

All help appreciated,
Martin

Icons at more than 16 colours in D5?

Post by Le Minh Hoan » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:14:50

I've never tested in D5. But in Delphi 6 and D7, assigning 8bit, 24bit,
32bit colors icons is OK.
(16x16, 32x32, event 128x128 are also ok:-) )

Quote:> HI there,

> I'm trying to assign an icon to Application.Icon in D5, and it seems
> that even if the icon is at 256 colours, Delphi converts it to 16
> colours (which looks pretty bad). So my questions are:

> 1. Is there any way to make D5 accept/display 256-colour icons for the
> application?

> 2. Do later versions of Delphi have better support for higher colour
> depths in application.icon?

> All help appreciated,
> Martin

Icons at more than 16 colours in D5?

Post by Michael Rottmeie » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:16:11

Hi,

Quote:> 1. Is there any way to make D5 accept/display 256-colour icons for the
> application?

Don't know.

Quote:> 2. Do later versions of Delphi have better support for higher colour
> depths in application.icon?

Delphi 7 and Delphi 6 don't seem to have problems with 256-colour icons.

Best wishes,
Michael

Icons at more than 16 colours in D5?

Post by Jens Grusche » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:34:08

Quote:> I'm trying to assign an icon to Application.Icon in D5, and it seems
> that even if the icon is at 256 colours, Delphi converts it to 16
> colours (which looks pretty bad). So my questions are:

I've never had any problems using icons with more than 16 colors in D5 (no
problems with Delphi 3 either). Can you tell what exactly you are doing?

Jens

1. 16 x 16 icons

I am looking for a collection of 16x16 icons.
I know that there are a number of places with the
standard 32x32 icons, but I need ones like those
used in File Manager (the folders, documents, etc..)
but I am looking for much greater variety.

If anyone knows of any available collections of
such icons, I would very much appreciate someone
steering me to the right ftp site (or Web page).

Thanks.

        -- Michael S Post

P.S. A response by e-mail is preferred, but posting
     to the newsgroup is OK too.

2. BSP

3. 16 color icon to 16 gray scale ???

4. newbie: opengl and renderman???

5. Quantization to 16 or 64 colours ?

6. Alpha-Channel Question

7. TIFF file size change from 256 to 16 colours

8. Newbie looking for tutorials

9. 4bit (16 colours) textures in Max

10. XP 32-bit alpha-blended icons in D5?

11. D5 has better support for icons!

12. Always 16 color icons in apps.

13. > 16 colour icons in tray