Converting a grey palette to a colour palette ?

Converting a grey palette to a colour palette ?

Post by David Bowle » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

 Can anyone show me how to change a bitmaps 16/256  colour grey shades
palette into a colour one ?

Post by Joe C. Hech » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>  Can anyone show me how to change a bitmaps 16/256  colour grey shades
> palette into a colour one ?

They are in color. Then colors are just the RGB values for gray shades.

Joe
--
Joe C. Hecht

(850) 689-0877 121 Louise Dr. Crestview, FL 32536
http://home1.gte.net/joehecht/index.htm

Converting a grey palette to a colour palette ?

Post by Kurt Barthelmess (Tea » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

David -

If you've already got 256 shades of gray, then it is a color bitmap.
All you have to come up with is a technique for converting a
particular shade of gray into a particular color. With that, you can
use the Copy method, once for each shade of gray / color.

Good luck.

Kurt

Converting a grey palette to a colour palette ?

Post by Wayne Herber » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

To turn grey into color you will need to assign a color that you wish to use
for each shade of grey.  For example, with 16 grey shades, most people would
select the color black for shade level 00 and white for shade level FF.
What you do for the in between colors is a matter of taste.

Same holds true for 256 colors.  You must select colors for each grey shade,
often from the analysis of the image you are trying to colorize... false
color images are created this way.

When one takes a color image to a grey image there can be a loss of
information and that is why you must supply color info to go back to color.

Wayne Herbert

--
Wayne Herbert
Manager, Computer Products

Vox:  713.522.7949
Fax:  713.521.3202

"Why is it only drug dealers and software developers call their clients
'users'?"

Converting a grey palette to a colour palette ?

Post by Adam Roslo » Fri, 31 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I think What you are trying to do is what Hollywood has done to the old
Black and white movies . This is not an easy task because the gray
component already contains RGB values of various magnitudes and who's to
say what is red and what is blue If you a watch a Black and white movies
then see the colorized version you'll probably say something like Hey I
thought her hair was brown not red. Well maybe it was but the person doing
the colorizing thought it should be red.

Quote:>  Can anyone show me how to change a bitmaps 16/256  colour grey shades
> palette into a colour one ?

1. RGB->Palette Palette->RGB->Palette Batch-converting

Hi!
Does anyone know, how to manage this:

I've got 1000+ images in RGB or with an own palette of 256 colours.
I have created a palette named MyPal and want to convert all these images to
this palette.

Settings:

Use custom palette: MyPal
Floyd-Steinberg
NO transparency
DO NOT remove unused colours

I'm using GIMP 1.1.19/Win32 :-( my Linux was messed up a couple of weeks ago

2. Reality is....

3. how to convert a palette to another palette without viewing the gif

4. Help - can't download pov for win95!

5. Setting a grey-scale palette

6. Q: 3D maze visibility/non-axis aligned walls (Marathon)

7. Change grey palette to blue

8. Free Fonts?

9. 24bit palette to 8 bit palette

10. DUMP GIF PALETTE Palette Routine Please !

11. Need a program to create optimal palette and map images to this palette

12. Generate a common 256 color palette - RĂ©aliser une palette commune de 256 couleurs

13. DIC palette vs.RGB palette