how triangles per frame in opengl??

Post by aking_b_ » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 19:25:12

how triangles per frame when not feeling slowly??

4000~5000;or 5000~10000; or 10000~40000~

If I draw triangles 40000~50000 per frame, I feel speed slow down very
quickly~~
how can I optimize that??

thanks~

how triangles per frame in opengl??

Post by Ananth B » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 19:45:32

Hi,
    There is no fixed number of triangles that "OpenGL can draw". OpenGL can
draw as many triangles as the drivers/implementation allow it to. It depends
on the hardware capabilities, the efficiency of the code, the driver, etc.

What you will need to do for an app is fix some target hardware. Then,
maximize the speed for that hardware. That is about the best you can do.

As for as maximizing the number of tiangles u draw (on the target hardware),
try the following techniques

1. Dont draw what you  cant see (some kind of hierarchial culling scheme)
2. Draw it fast (Nowadays, hardware and drivers do better if a lot of
triangles are thrown at it on a single go. Use compiled vertex arrays and
glDrawElements)
3. Dont do matrix multiplication yourself. Use the TnL hardware (standard
glMultMatrixf's, glRotatef's  and so on) as much as possible.
4. Use SSE and 3DNow! as much as possible for your calculations.

Of course, answering this question is what Computer Graphics is all about.
So I'm sure I've left out about a million points here (~_^)

Regards,
Ananth B.

Quote:> how triangles per frame when not feeling slowly [snip]

how triangles per frame in opengl??

Post by aking_b_ » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 21:52:12

thanks for your help~~~~~

can you give me any document about SSE or 3Dnow ?~~~thanks again ~^^

> Hi,
>     There is no fixed number of triangles that "OpenGL can draw". OpenGL
can
> draw as many triangles as the drivers/implementation allow it to. It
depends
> on the hardware capabilities, the efficiency of the code, the driver, etc.

> What you will need to do for an app is fix some target hardware. Then,
> maximize the speed for that hardware. That is about the best you can do.

> As for as maximizing the number of tiangles u draw (on the target
hardware),
> try the following techniques

> 1. Dont draw what you  cant see (some kind of hierarchial culling scheme)
> 2. Draw it fast (Nowadays, hardware and drivers do better if a lot of
> triangles are thrown at it on a single go. Use compiled vertex arrays and
> glDrawElements)
> 3. Dont do matrix multiplication yourself. Use the TnL hardware (standard
> glMultMatrixf's, glRotatef's  and so on) as much as possible.
> 4. Use SSE and 3DNow! as much as possible for your calculations.

> Of course, answering this question is what Computer Graphics is all about.
> So I'm sure I've left out about a million points here (~_^)

> Regards,
> Ananth B.

> > how triangles per frame when not feeling slowly [snip]

how triangles per frame in opengl??

Post by Ananth B » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 23:33:35

Hi,
    Try this link. Quexal seems quite good http://www.tommesani.com/
(PS : I use Exentia myself, but I havent come across an equivalent C/C++
implementation)

Regards,
Ananth B.

Quote:> thanks for your help~~~~~

> can you give me any document about SSE or 3Dnow ?~~~thanks again [snip]

how triangles per frame in opengl??

Post by aking_b_ » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 13:27:58

great, thanks a lot~~~

> Hi,
>     Try this link. Quexal seems quite good http://www.tommesani.com/
> (PS : I use Exentia myself, but I havent come across an equivalent C/C++
> implementation)

> Regards,
> Ananth B.

> > thanks for your help~~~~~

> > can you give me any document about SSE or 3Dnow ?~~~thanks again [snip]

1. How many triangles per frame?

What is the number of triangles per frame that can be displayed by current
consumer-level graphics cards (without hardware T&L, say TNT2) with current
consumer-level PCs (PIII 500, for ex) ?  Assume 30fps.

It seems as though the bottleneck is not with the rasterizer (the graphics
card).  For example, I seem to remember reading that the TNT2 can do around
7 million triangles/sec, which works out to 233,333 triangles/frame at
30fps.  This poly count is obviously much higher than what current
applications are capable of.

So, I'm assuming the bottleneck is with the Transformation and Lighting
stage.

Therefore, the question is maybe more appropriately: how many triangles can
a consumer PC transform and light per frame at 30fps?

Also, here's an observation: as soon as systems are capable of displaying as
many triangles per frame as there are pixels -- 1,310,720 for a 1280x1024
display -- applications should be able to eliminate both texture mapping and
gouraud shading altogether, and instead just do a flat shade of each
polygon.

Brian

2. PostScript halftone dictionaries

3. triangles with per face normals SLOWER than per vertex normals

4. ELSA MAXtreme for 3D Max

5. Triangle mesh with different texture per triangle

6. MAX 2 Documentation

7. GeForce Pro: Over 25 million triangles per second?

8. suche spezial grafik-funktion

9. VideoShop: frames per second info?

10. What can achieve 30 frames per second?

11. How many frames per second in NTSC?

12. scripts executed once per frame?

13. 2 files per frame-why?