How to write Cad apps

Post by Bj?rn Jonsso » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I'm writing a Cad application and would like to be able to do things like
rotating, moving, erasing and so on by clicking on each object. I've seen
this in some applications and would like to know how to deal with that as
regarding the coding.
Is there anyone that knows how to do so please answere.
Bj?rn Jonsson

How to write Cad apps

Post by Robert Chaf » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>  I'm writing a Cad application and would like to be able to do things like
>  rotating, moving, erasing and so on by clicking on each object. I've seen
>  this in some applications and would like to know how to deal with that as
>  regarding the coding.
>  Is there anyone that knows how to do so please answere.
>  Bj?rn Jonsson

I wrote a somilar app last year. I had similar questions but when I
actually got down to coding it, I found it much easier than I
expected. I had a variable that told me what mode I was in (zoom,
move, resize) and a pointer to a base class representing the objects I
was working on. You have to draw all the objects and grab handles but
it is not difficult, I used a TImage.

Robert Chafer

1. Sources needed to write CAD Viewer

Would anyone out there have, or know where to find, source files (for
Windows 95, preferably Microsoft Visual C++, using MFC) for the following
:

A simple CAD-program, that

1. allows to draw lines, circles, arcs, texts, in fact, all the usual
stuff you find on a technical drawing
2. can perform a select on specific items on the screen near the cursor
position, to delete these or perform some other action
3. has the possibility to add dimensions based on lines, points, center
of circles,
4. allows zoom, pan, window,
5. can store this drawing
6. can load a drawing from a file on disk
7. and can do this as a result of doubleclicking the file in the Windows
explorer
8. can do a bit of OLE stuff (client, server)
9. can print the drawing via the standard Windows mechanism
10. or even allows printing the part of the screen that is in the window

A lot to ask, I agree

Items 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 are essential, the rest would be nice to have

The purpose of my request is to be able to adapt these sources to build a
viewer for .SHE files, which is the file format of the MEDUSA (by
Computervision) 2D CAD software.

Thanks to anyone even starting to think of helping me !

Please reply to :
Jan Deklerck

2. PHIGS vs. OpenGL [Re: OpenGL is *the* standard, was Re: Alex St John on D3D,OGL, and John Carmack]

3. Writing CAD programs for 3D games?

4. TEACHING POSITION, 2D, PRATT INSTITUTE, NYC

5. Scrolling

6. How to write 3D CAD programs?

7. Watermarking for copyright ... is not secure as they say...

8. Writing CAD with OI, OK?

9. Using drawing tablets w/X-Windows to access mainframe CAD app

10. cheap cad-type apps

11. LightWave and CAD app. compatibility

12. Job: US-PA-Pittsburgh - Programmer CG and CAD apps with Lisp