DBImage compression

Post by Lance Robald » Sat, 31 May 2003 23:08:34

Is there any way to compress a DBImage before posting?  I have an Oracle
table with a LOB field to store images in.  I'm reading the image into a
DBImage component from  a file, then posting the record into Oracle.  This
takes up massive amounts of space, especially if the image is a full page
color document.

Thanks,
Lance Robaldo

DBImage compression

Post by Stephen R. Phillip » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 01:14:40

> Is there any way to compress a DBImage before posting?  I have an
> Oracle table with a LOB field to store images in.  I'm reading the
> image into a DBImage component from  a file, then posting the record
> into Oracle.  This takes up massive amounts of space, especially if
> the image is a full page color document.

> Thanks,
> Lance Robaldo

It depends one what you want to do. If the image must be losslessly
compressed and you are dealing with 8R8G8B data then you can set the type
as a compressed windows bitmap or you can use a different filter such as
JPEG (lossy) or PNG. You do have to go through some contortions <grin> for
storing the data in the said format but it's entirely possible, JPEG
compression works best on natural images PNG works best on images with a
lot of constant space (IE documents).

PNG will work for small color spaces also so it's not too big of a problem.

Stephen

1. DBImage with JPEG

Hi,

I'm looking for a DBImage-component which can use JPEG-bitmaps, so that
the database will not becomes so large.

Is there anywhere a component for BCB3 ?

Markus

2. PC/Unix for graphics?

3. DBImage

4. I need help on API and pixel color. HELP!!!

5. Graphic format TGA

6. URGENT How do you get a scrollbar on a DBImage

7. asd

8. Scroll Bars For DBImage

9. Printing a DBImage

10. X,Y Plotting using DBImage

11. How to display jpeg picture in DBImage?

12. Storing DBimage in Paradox