Efficient OpenGL rendering...

Post by Rosario De Chiar » Tue, 20 May 2003 21:26:49

Hello everybody, my first time on the group.
A little "phylosophical" question:
Which is the most efficient rendering loop for OpenGL
rendering ?
TTimer (or Windows WM_TIMER message) ?
Or Application->IdleLoop ?

I've tried both:
Application->IdleLoop leech the whole cpu time. What i get is a very fast
rendering with a slowed down system.
TTimer i get a fast system with a not very fast rendering.

So i'm confused.

Any idea ?

Thank you in advance.
Rosario De Chiara

Efficient OpenGL rendering...

Post by Nikumar » Wed, 21 May 2003 01:00:05

Hi Rosario,

I usually use " Application->OnIdle = IdleLoop; ".
In order to save CPU performance, I set the second parameter for the
"IdleLoop" function, which is boolean, true as follows;

void __fastcall TMyClass::IdleLoop( TObject*, bool &done )
{
    done = true; // same as default
       .
       .

Quote:}

This avoids unnecessary rendering.

Nikumaru

Quote:> Hello everybody, my first time on the group.
> A little "phylosophical" question:
> Which is the most efficient rendering loop for OpenGL
> rendering ?
> TTimer (or Windows WM_TIMER message) ?
> Or Application->IdleLoop ?

> I've tried both:
> Application->IdleLoop leech the whole cpu time. What i get is a very
fast
> rendering with a slowed down system.
> TTimer i get a fast system with a not very fast rendering.

> So i'm confused.

> Any idea ?

> Thank you in advance.
> Rosario De Chiara

Efficient OpenGL rendering...

Post by Jarno Haapasaar » Sat, 24 May 2003 01:35:47

Hi,

    I have replaced the TTimer with TThread calling the rendering routine
through Synchronize-method. This way I get faster rendering than with
TTimer, but my system does not slow down - the GUI maintains its
responsiveness.

Regards,

    Jarno

Quote:> Hello everybody, my first time on the group.
> A little "phylosophical" question:
> Which is the most efficient rendering loop for OpenGL
> rendering ?
> TTimer (or Windows WM_TIMER message) ?
> Or Application->IdleLoop ?

> I've tried both:
> Application->IdleLoop leech the whole cpu time. What i get is a very fast
> rendering with a slowed down system.
> TTimer i get a fast system with a not very fast rendering.

> So i'm confused.

> Any idea ?

> Thank you in advance.
> Rosario De Chiara

Efficient OpenGL rendering...

Post by Rosario De Chiar » Wed, 28 May 2003 01:06:54

Ciao Jarno,
it's a great idea. I was thinking about it, and you gave
the words my thought. Now what about to give some code too ?
:)

Really, i'd like to read some sample code because i've never
used thread before.

Thank you in advance,
Rosario

> Hi,

>     I have replaced the TTimer with TThread calling the rendering routine
> through Synchronize-method. This way I get faster rendering than with
> TTimer, but my system does not slow down - the GUI maintains its
> responsiveness.

> Regards,

>     Jarno

> > Hello everybody, my first time on the group.
> > A little "phylosophical" question:
> > Which is the most efficient rendering loop for OpenGL
> > rendering ?
> > TTimer (or Windows WM_TIMER message) ?
> > Or Application->IdleLoop ?

> > I've tried both:
> > Application->IdleLoop leech the whole cpu time. What i get is a very
fast
> > rendering with a slowed down system.
> > TTimer i get a fast system with a not very fast rendering.

> > So i'm confused.

> > Any idea ?

> > Thank you in advance.
> > Rosario De Chiara

1. Efficient Phong lookup table generation (or any non-efficient ones)

Howdy,

        I am looking to build a rendering system and was looking for
pointers in developing an efficient lookup table for Phong shading.
I have begun to think about how to construct a lookup table of
normals and figured this was a good place to start.  Are there any
code examples of how to do this, or any papers or books on the
subject?  I have a book on advanced animation techniques by Watt and
Watt there doesn't seem to be any specific examples on how to
'digitize' a set of normals for lookup, which I suppose I would use
in turn to generate a shading lookup table.

        Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

                -scott

2. Lipsync in L6..HELP!

3. Efficient rendering of unstructered meshes

4. Dragon...

5. most cost efficient rendering farm?

6. Lisensing for Maya

7. Efficient rendering

8. Efficient level rendering

9. Efficient algorithm to render raindrop particles?

10. efficient mesh rendering

11. Most efficient GL function/subroutine for sphere rendering

12. most efficient way to send vertices to OpenGL?