Suitabliity of DirectDraw with BCB

Post by Trevo » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm tring to create a 3D application to be able to draw objects and
place them in a model of a workplace. I also need to be able to extract
data from each model.

I have a few questions that I need answered before I start into serious
code  :

1/ Can it be done? and has anybody else tried something like this?
2/ Is it possible to use DirectDraw with builder for this application?
3/ Is DirectDraw very suitable for this application?
    If not, what would be more suitable?
4/ Which version of DirectX has the version of DirectDraw that would be
best suited for this application? And Does it matter?

From doing a bit of research, it seems that DirectDraw is the way to go
with this application, as it seems to be used a lot for graphics in
games. If I'm going in the wrong direction, can somebody please tell me
the right direction.

Any help in answering the above questions would be greatly appreciated,
and not forgotten. Also any help to get me started would be of greater
value.

Trevor

Suitabliity of DirectDraw with BCB

Post by Trevo » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Sorry I also need to mention that this application has to work in Win
NT/95/98/and 2000 when it is released,

> Hi all,

> I'm tring to create a 3D application to be able to draw objects and
> place them in a model of a workplace. I also need to be able to extract
> data from each model.

> I have a few questions that I need answered before I start into serious
> code  :

> 1/ Can it be done? and has anybody else tried something like this?
> 2/ Is it possible to use DirectDraw with builder for this application?
> 3/ Is DirectDraw very suitable for this application?
>     If not, what would be more suitable?
> 4/ Which version of DirectX has the version of DirectDraw that would be
> best suited for this application? And Does it matter?

> From doing a bit of research, it seems that DirectDraw is the way to go
> with this application, as it seems to be used a lot for graphics in
> games. If I'm going in the wrong direction, can somebody please tell me
> the right direction.

> Any help in answering the above questions would be greatly appreciated,
> and not forgotten. Also any help to get me started would be of greater
> value.

> Trevor

Suitabliity of DirectDraw with BCB

Post by Borla » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi Trevor,

Quote:> 1/ Can it be done? and has anybody else tried something like this?

Yes, and Yes.

Quote:> 2/ Is it possible to use DirectDraw with builder for this application?

Yes. Chapters 31(DirectDraw) and 32(Direct3D RetainedMode) of "Borland C++
Builder3 Unleashed" discuss this. C++Builder 4 had some DirectDraw examples
in the Examples\ddraw.

Quote:> 3/ Is DirectDraw very suitable for this application?
>     If not, what would be more suitable?

Yes, but unless you've written your own triangle rasterizer I would
recommend Direct3D (which uses DirectrDraw) or OpenGL(x-platform), or
Glide(3dFX only).

Quote:> 4/ Which version of DirectX has the version of DirectDraw that would be
> best suited for this application? And Does it matter?

The more recent the better.

Quote:> From doing a bit of research, it seems that DirectDraw is the way to go
> with this application, as it seems to be used a lot for graphics in
> games. If I'm going in the wrong direction, can somebody please tell me
> the right direction.

It is true that DirectDraw give you fast access to/from the video memory.
However, it simply gives you
a linear frame buffer. If you want to write 3D application in it, you will
have to write a rasterizer.

Good Luck,
//jt

Suitabliity of DirectDraw with BCB

Post by Mark Hac » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Trevor,

For your application to work in Win NT 4.0 (with Service Pack 4 installed)
it has to use DirectX 3.0. Versions of DirectX higher than 3 do not work in
Windows NT 4.0. There is an "unsupported" version of DirectX 5 that you can
install on Windows NT 4.0 at http://www.dephi-jedi.org/ to make it run
DirectX 5 applications.

Hacker...

Sorry I also need to mention that this application has to work in Win
NT/95/98/and 2000 when it is released,

> Hi all,

> I'm tring to create a 3D application to be able to draw objects and
> place them in a model of a workplace. I also need to be able to extract
> data from each model.

> I have a few questions that I need answered before I start into serious
> code  :

> 1/ Can it be done? and has anybody else tried something like this?
> 2/ Is it possible to use DirectDraw with builder for this application?
> 3/ Is DirectDraw very suitable for this application?
>     If not, what would be more suitable?
> 4/ Which version of DirectX has the version of DirectDraw that would be
> best suited for this application? And Does it matter?

> From doing a bit of research, it seems that DirectDraw is the way to go
> with this application, as it seems to be used a lot for graphics in
> games. If I'm going in the wrong direction, can somebody please tell me
> the right direction.

> Any help in answering the above questions would be greatly appreciated,
> and not forgotten. Also any help to get me started would be of greater
> value.

> Trevor

1. DirectDraw and BCB 6.0

    Hi!

    I'm interested in DirectDraw windowed mode under BCB 6.0 for drawing
lines with color and width (single, double...). I initialise the DirectDraw
main object, create surfaces and I can even plot some pixels on the screen.
I need, specially, speed. Is there a method for drawing lines on a surface
(for them to appear on the screen) or I have to write my own one?

    thx

2. Redirect Gnuplot graph to a bitmap file

3. directdraw in bcb form

4. Windows Dialogs under DirectX7 for VB?

5. Implementing DirectDraw in BCB 5

6. BCB 1.0 to BCB 3.0 problem...

7. TImage in BCB 5 and BCB 6

8. BCB-Tools.com & The TDx_Library (DirectX 7.0a Component Libs for BCB)

9. Free Voronoi C++ code for Windows (BCB, VC++)

10. opengl BCB component

11. GLUT and BCB