Fastest Processor for use in Cinema 4D????

Fastest Processor for use in Cinema 4D????

Post by Ian Wend » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:09:53

Well, having access to a number of different kinds of computers at my job in
a Circuit City, I decided to conduct a little test. I downloaded the demo of
Cinema 4D XL 6 from Maxon's website for both PC and Mac and installed on a
number of different machines. I then set each machine up with the same
desktop resolution and color depth and then proceded to render one of the
example files that comes with the demo with the standard settings. In other
words, this test is easily duplicated by anybody with access to the web. The
settings and scene used are as follows.
Resolution: 1024 X 768 X 32
Scene file rendered: Inverse volumetrics in the 6.1 example folder under
lighting.
Machines used in test:
Hewlett Packard Pentium 4 1.4 Gigahertz
128 MB PC600 RDram
60 GB 5400 rpm harddrive
Windows ME

Compaq Athlon 1 GigaHertz
128 MB PC100 SDram
40 GigaByte 7200 rpm harddrive
Windows ME

Hewlett Packard Pentium 3 933 Mhz
128 MB PC133 SDram
40 GigaByte harddrive
Windows ME

Compaq 800 Mhz Duron
64 MB PC100 SDram
40 GigaByte harddrive
Windows ME

Apple IMAC 500 Mhz G3
128 MB PC100 SDram
20 Gigabyte harddrive
Latest version MacOS (9 Something )

Apple G4 Cube 450 Mhz
64 MB PC100 Sdram
20 Gigabyte harddrive
Latest version MacOS (9 something)

Ofcourse the G4 is at a disadvantage with only 64 megs of ram, but so is the
Duron which is also running the memory hog that Windows ME is with active
desktop enabled.
Here are the results:

P4 : 48 seconds

PIII : 36 seconds

Athlon : 26 seconds

G3 : 45 seconds

G4 : 49 seconds

Duron : 37 seconds

There you have it.
Now I am aware that most of these systems being major namebrands like Compaq
and Hewlett Packard are not exactly optimized for speed, but I feel this
test still provides an interesting insight in to which processor will do the
best job in rendering in Cinema 4D XL 6. Also most of these systems would
greatly benefit from additional memory, most notably the G4 Cube and the 800
Duron. If anybody has a G4 and would be willing to run this same test I
would very much like to see the results. Remember, no settings were changed
and rendering was done in the main view window in Cinema 4D. I just opened
the file and hit the render button. Let me know what you think. To me it
looks like the AMD processors do the best job..What do you guys think???
Regards

Ian Wendt

Post by Stephen Marriot » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:30:53

> What do you guys think???

FYI - Maxon have a tool for doing benchmarks -
ftp://ftp.cinema4d.com/pub/cinema4d/cinebench/

--

HiSOFT, The Old School, Greenfield, Bedford, MK45 5DE, UK
Tel: +44 1525 718181 Fax: +44 1525 713716 Freecall: 0500 223 660

Fastest Processor for use in Cinema 4D????

Post by psyonicdream » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 01:30:56

I have a question on this, a friend and myself did the same sort of test
as Ian and his computer seems to be about 10% faster than mine?
The problem is that his machine is a P3-450 with 64mb and mine is a
P3-550 with 256mb.  Any ideas what could cause this problem?  We
are both using Cinema 4D XL5

Psyonic (ICQ 61534348)
www.aspexdesign.co.uk or www.aspexdesign.net
"Movies don't create psychos, movies make psychos more creative"

> > What do you guys think???

> FYI - Maxon have a tool for doing benchmarks -
> ftp://ftp.cinema4d.com/pub/cinema4d/cinebench/

> --

> HiSOFT, The Old School, Greenfield, Bedford, MK45 5DE, UK
> Tel: +44 1525 718181 Fax: +44 1525 713716 Freecall: 0500 223 660
> http://www.hisoft.co.uk/ PGP public key on request.ICQ#:29793027
> http://aist.co.uk/ http://cinema4d.co.uk/ http://speedyshop.com/
> AFFILIATES NETWORK - http://www.hisoft.co.uk/cgi-bin/gp?pg=an.main

Fastest Processor for use in Cinema 4D????

Post by psyonicdream » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:14:28

I ran the Benchmark program on my system, do the result's look
normal to you?

Cinebench 2000 V1.0 Performance

Tester           : Psyonic

Processor        : Intel Pentium III - 550mhz
Number of CPUs   : 1
Physical Memory  : 256mb
Operating System : Windows 98 SE

Graphic Card     : ATI All In Wonder 32mb
Resolution       : 800x600
Color Depth      : 32bit

Shading (CINEMA 4D)      : 5.09 CB
Shading (OpenGL)         : 7.04 CB
Raytracing (Single   CPU): 5.11 CB
Raytracing (Multiple CPU): --- CB

OpenGL Shading is 1.38 times faster than CINEMA 4D Shading!

Psyonic (ICQ 61534348)
www.aspexdesign.co.uk or www.aspexdesign.net
"Movies don't create psychos, movies make psychos more creative"

Fastest Processor for use in Cinema 4D????

Post by Matthew O'Neil » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:37:11

Quote:> the file and hit the render button. Let me know what you think. To me it
> looks like the AMD processors do the best job..What do you guys think???
> Regards

I totally agree (said with a smug grin, an Athlon 750 at home and 1 gig at
work ;))

Although maybe the cinebench program which uses XL6 to do accurate
benchmarks would have been better? That also takes into account editor
speed, which would have helped the macs i believe.

--
Matthew O'Neill - Mash

Fastest Processor for use in Cinema 4D????

Post by Matthew O'Neil » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 04:40:42

Quote:> I have a question on this, a friend and myself did the same sort of test
> as Ian and his computer seems to be about 10% faster than mine?
> The problem is that his machine is a P3-450 with 64mb and mine is a
> P3-550 with 256mb.  Any ideas what could cause this problem?  We
> are both using Cinema 4D XL5

Alot also depends on what settings youre using and the other hardware
omponents. If he has 133MHz Ram with a CAS latency of 2, then he will win
over a faster CPU with slower ram and CAS. What speed harddrive? is DMA
enabled? is his overclocked, what motherboard (Very important!) they all
make a difference.

--
Matthew O'Neill - Mash

1. Has anyone used Cinema 4D?

I think I'm about to spring for Cinema 4D. The Mac version costs 699 UKP
here (499 if "upgrading" from EIAS/Strata Studio Pro) and from what I have
seen of the demo it looks amazing value with its innovative built-in
modeller, animator, ik, special effects, etc. Moreover, the speed and
quality of the Raytrace render engine look very close to EIAS to me, but at
a fraction of the price and with an easier GUI. Has anyone had any
real-world experience of this software? I would be very interested to hear
any first-hand opinions, good or bad.

Stan
--
Stan The Man
+++Naked under this Macintosh+++

2. Slide printer advice

3. ANNOUNCE: CINEMA 4D XL Release 6

4. Looking for 5 experienced animators and 1 visual effect supervisior

5. An Introduction to Cinema 4D article and seminar available

6. POV convertors ?

7. Spezielle Cinema 4D Objekte gesucht

8. Looking for an old driver !

9. Cinema 4d Textures???

10. OT. Cinema 4D XL 6 FS

11. ***RFD: Cinema 4D and it's own Newsgroup***

12. Cinema 4D Newsgroup