I don't get it???.......scale confusion

Post by ozi » Mon, 28 May 2001 00:22:36

Hi,
I'm a little confused. If I place a tube object the default x and y
size is 400m (bottom right hand corner). If I change this (x & y) to
205 (for example) then I double click on tube icon in the object list
it says the 'outer radius' is 200m ??? Shouldn't it be 102.5m ???

Why does this happen. I want to create accurate drawings for
engineering purposes how do I do this?

Thanks,
ozi

I don't get it???.......scale confusion

Post by Filo Bedd » Mon, 28 May 2001 02:26:00

Hmm ... First, u mean X & Z right? They are both 400 by default. Not X & Y.

When I tinkered I noticed the same thing. No matter what I resize to under
the co-ordinates manager the outer-radius is still 200.
However, if you use the active tools on the object (those little orange
sliders then radius changes in the properties of the object accordingly.
Likewise, if I changed the outer-radius size in the objects properties (for
example to 102.5, which give me a size of 205 as you wanted) it also works.
I don't know what the co-ordinate method doesn't work, but I'm pretty sure
that it's not a bug or idiosyncrasy, since we are upto version 6.3 of C4D
.
My guess would be it's because of way you have to adjust two sizes (X&Z) and
you may not chose a symmetrical measurement which the primitive generator
algorithm for the tube (or others) needs to accurately work out the radius?

So... the solution. Just set your radius in the objects properties to get
the size your after (102.5outer-rad for X&Z=205).

FB

Quote:> Hi,
> I'm a little confused. If I place a tube object the default x and y
> size is 400m (bottom right hand corner). If I change this (x & y) to
> 205 (for example) then I double click on tube icon in the object list
> it says the 'outer radius' is 200m ??? Shouldn't it be 102.5m ???

> Why does this happen. I want to create accurate drawings for
> engineering purposes how do I do this?

I don't get it???.......scale confusion

Post by Matthew O'Neil » Mon, 28 May 2001 02:24:44

Quote:> I'm a little confused. If I place a tube object the default x and y
> size is 400m (bottom right hand corner). If I change this (x & y) to
> 205 (for example) then I double click on tube icon in the object list
> it says the 'outer radius' is 200m ??? Shouldn't it be 102.5m ???

Using which version? In XL7 the default is 200 long with a radius of 50
(hence  x and z are both 100)

Mash

Post by ozi » Mon, 28 May 2001 12:09:19

> > I'm a little confused. If I place a tube object the default x and y
> > size is 400m (bottom right hand corner). If I change this (x & y) to
> > 205 (for example) then I double click on tube icon in the object list
> > it says the 'outer radius' is 200m ??? Shouldn't it be 102.5m ???

> Using which version? In XL7 the default is 200 long with a radius of 50
> (hence  x and z are both 100)

> Mash

XL6

Sorry I meant X and Z. I don't really care what the defaults are but
what I can't work out is why changes I make in the Coordinates Tab
(bottom right) aren't reflected in the object properties window (dbl
click on the tube icon). As I said if I place a tube x & z are 400 and
the properties window reveals an outer radius of 200, Ok that's
correct. Now if I change the size by typing in 210 (for example) in
the coordinates tab for x & z then I check the outer radius in the
properties and it's still 200??? Why isn't it 105?

Perhaps this is by design but I can't work out why...

ozi

Post by ozi » Mon, 28 May 2001 12:18:59

> Hmm ... First, u mean X & Z right? They are both 400 by default. Not X & Y.

Sorry I did mean x & z.

Quote:

> When I tinkered I noticed the same thing. No matter what I resize to under
> the co-ordinates manager the outer-radius is still 200.
> However, if you use the active tools on the object (those little orange
> sliders then radius changes in the properties of the object accordingly.

Your right but the sliders are not much good for accurate drawings.

Quote:> Likewise, if I changed the outer-radius size in the objects properties (for
> example to 102.5, which give me a size of 205 as you wanted) it also works.
> I don't know what the co-ordinate method doesn't work, but I'm pretty sure
> that it's not a bug or idiosyncrasy, since we are upto version 6.3 of C4D
> .

Well what else is it?. Even using symetrical measurements it reports
it incorrectly. Even if it's by design it's certainly not intuitive or
logical.

Quote:> My guess would be it's because of way you have to adjust two sizes (X&Z) and
> you may not chose a symmetrical measurement which the primitive generator
> algorithm for the tube (or others) needs to accurately work out the radius?

I'm glad you understood what I was saying. I can see what you mean but
I think it would make more sense if the outer radius reported the
largest radius just to avoid confusion.

Quote:> So... the solution. Just set your radius in the objects properties to get
> the size your after (102.5outer-rad for X&Z=205).

> FB

Thanks for you reply,
ozi

1. GL's 2D blit confusion--Best image quality/speed with glDrawPixels vs glRect

hi-

I would like to use glDrawPixels to blit several images on a variable size
screen (viewport info).  However, using glPixelZoom causes the standard
aliasing and pixel dropout associated with scaling.

Is there anyway to use glDrawPixels with linear-interpolation between the
colors?

I assume it is a much faster call than loading a texture, setting an
Orthoganal Projection, and using glRect to get the smooth blending (there
are all those transforms...[which may be avoided with identity matrices ?
]...plus mapping to NDC & the viewport...plus quad setup for the texture
itself...)

Is there something i have missed about DrawPixels...?

In the Red book, they suggest redrawing the pixels several times using
alpha transparancy and glRasterPos jittering to smooth the DrawnImage, yet
redrawing several times instead of one linearly blended blit is even more
performance heavy.

Any help is much appreciated-
thanks

--
aDios

jake Kolb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What_if Productions
www.whatif-productions.com

??????
 ^     ^
 (Q)(Q)
     ,\,
  \----/
     []
     []
     []

2. AutoRedraw issue with Polyline API

3. MP43 AVI's don't work even after fixes

4. Corel Draw 4 error: cant load "rasterized" on export to any raster graphics format (TIF, JPG, GIF, BMP etc)

5. don't try to pull locally while you're moulding throughout a new frame

6. glArrayElement vs TNT

7. don't call superbly while you're creeping alongside a hot boat

8. Need Help?