Tell running Gimp to open a file

Post by Thomas Lotz » Sun, 01 Apr 2001 09:54:21

Hi,

I'm writing a TCL program that browses images, among
other things. I'd like to add a the possibility to
open the current image in Gimp. This is easily
accomplished by calling

gimp $myfile &

However, this starts a new Gimp for every image. How
can I find out whether Gimp is already running, and
tell the running Gimp to open my file? Is there any
command line switch or something similar? (I'm using
Gimp 1.2.1 under Linux.)

Thanks and greetings,

Thomas

--

http://www.thomas-lotze.de       http://www.bannertausch-b150.de
http://thestories.cjb.net

Post by Simon Budi » Sun, 01 Apr 2001 20:39:24

> However, this starts a new Gimp for every image. How
> can I find out whether Gimp is already running, and
> tell the running Gimp to open my file? Is there any
> command line switch or something similar? (I'm using
> Gimp 1.2.1 under Linux.)

There is the tool gimp-remote, which contacts a running gimp
and tells him to load the image. It has also switches to start
a new Gimp when no active Gimp is found.

Bye,
        Simon
--

Tell running Gimp to open a file

Post by Thomas Lotz » Mon, 02 Apr 2001 04:15:27

Simon Budig schrieb:

Quote:> There is the tool gimp-remote,

Can I get it stand-alone somewhere? It is not
contained in Ximian's Gimp distri which I happen
to use :o((

Cheers, Thomas

--

Post by Simon Budi » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 08:47:39

> Simon Budig schrieb:
>> There is the tool gimp-remote,

> Can I get it stand-alone somewhere? It is not
> contained in Ximian's Gimp distri which I happen
> to use :o((

Huh?

$ dpkg -S gimp-remote
gimp1.2: /usr/bin/gimp-remote
gimp1.2: /usr/share/man/man1/gimp-remote.1.gz

$ dpkg -s gimp1.2
Package: gimp1.2
[...]

Version: 1.2.1-0.ximian.1
[...]

Vieleicht hat der RPM-Maintainer entschieden, es in das -devel
Paket zu packen? Notfalls kann man sich das auch aus den Gimp-Sourcen
herauskratzen...

Gruesse,
        Simon
--

Tell running Gimp to open a file

Post by Thomas Lotz » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 09:07:14

Simon Budig schrieb:
Quote:

> $ dpkg -S gimp-remote

[...]

Debian?  I'm on RedHat...

Quote:> Vieleicht hat der RPM-Maintainer entschieden, es in das -devel
> Paket zu packen?

Probably it has ended up in the developers package,
but I didn't download the beast this weekend (slow
connection from home...). I'll give it a try this
week.

Quote:> Notfalls kann man sich das auch aus den Gimp-Sourcen
> herauskratzen...

Well, compiling from the sources is the brute-force
way; if nothing helps, I'll resort to that.

BTW: funny enough, the documentation for gimp-remote
is contained in the RedHat package:

$ rpm -ql gimp |grep 'remote'
/usr/man/man1/gimp-remote.1
/usr/share/gimp/1.2/help/C/gimp_remote.html

$ rpm -ql gimp |grep 'bin/'
/usr/bin/gimp

$ rpm -qi gimp
Name    : gimp        Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version : 1.2.1       Vendor: Ximian, Inc.
Release : 0_helix_2   Build Date: Fre 26 Jan 2001 21:24:48

Cheers, Thomas

--

http://www.thomas-lotze.de       http://www.bannertausch-b150.de
http://thestories.cjb.net

1. Attachments/files open real slow when running/after running PS6.1

Under Windows NT4 SP6 with PIII 833 & 256 RAM my PC runs well and reacts quickly when opening files within explorer or attachments on email (ie Word/Excel), until I open PS6.1 (PC sits on large corporate network but all files and software kept/run locally).

Once PS is open, opening files can take up to 1 minute (30 secs to open application & further 30 secs to display file). If I was to open launch application only then it would open as normal but the delay in opening the file would still occur. Closing PS makes no difference, after opening I have to reboot PC to recover speed.

All latest Office and NT service packs have been re-installed, PSv6 uninstalled and re-installed and 6.1 fix re-applied.

Besides Office, other main apps. installed are PageMaker 6.5 and Acrobat 5.

Any help gratefully received!
--

Mark Sreeves & Derry Pitcaithly

2. Has someone compiled gnuplot 3.6 pl328 for MS-DOS yet?

3. How to open a image under a running GIMP session from command line

4. Newbie Question

5. Opening eps (Illustrator files) in GIMP

6. Plotting P[i]/P[0] from a file of data points

7. How can I tell I have 6.01 running?

8. Sharing 3DS4 over a Network

9. Running Gimp through a rlogin

10. batching Windows, GIMP stalls after 15 or so runs

11. run gimp-plugins without X-Server?

12. Running gimp from another program

13. Newbie: run Gimp from command line