Running gimp from another program

Post by Kenneth Schar » Tue, 23 Apr 2002 06:39:38

I've done a search through the documentation on the gimp.org site and
havn't found what I need (though I think maybe a perl script might
work).  What I want to do is to use the gimp as a .tif file viewer, and
open, close, and print .tiff images under control of another program.

If anyone here is a Ham operator familiar with the ARRL QST view cd roms
you know these run only under windows (wine seems to fail on this).  The
cd roms have a database of which .tif files belong to any single page of
any issue of QST magazine in the collection.  There is a SQL data base
which looks up the desired .tiff files (you can search by author,
article title, month/year of issue, etc).

I want to write a program to read the database on the cdrom (it's in
comma limited field ascii format and I can write a program to read this
in an convert to SQL tables for mySQL or Postgressql).  After the SQL
front end querries the database and the desired files are found I need
to call the gimp to display the files (one page at a time) and offer the
user a chance to page forward, backward, resize the image, or print it.

I need to know how to access a running session of the gimp from an other
program (probably written in C++ using GTK) and issue it commands to
open a .tiff file and display it, resize, print, and close the file.

Script-fu might do this? or perhaps Perl-fu? but what is the interface
from a c++ program?
Hate to say it but but what I want to do was easy under VB-script with
MS office aps (flame bait I know), I hope Linux can do this better!

Any help here please!  Point me to the right documentation and I will
read it!  Thanks!

1. Running Gimp through a rlogin

Hi,

I am trying to use gimp to take a screenshot of the entire screen.
The machine which I am trying to capture from does not have gimp
installed; however, I can do a rlogin to a machine on the network that
does have gimp.  It freezes on my everytime I try to take the
screenshot.  Has anyone had luck doing a screenshot over a remote
login?

Thanks in advance for any insight,
Mark

2. Texture mapped polygon techniques

3. batching Windows, GIMP stalls after 15 or so runs

4. textures on FIREGL 1000

5. run gimp-plugins without X-Server?

6. Best "Web" Text creator?

7. Newbie: run Gimp from command line

8. How to load images into already running Gimp?

9. Error running Gimp!

10. Tell running Gimp to open a file

11. Errors running gimp 1.2.0 on Solaris 2.6

12. running gimp on dumb terminals