WinGimp not showing opened images?

Post by Stephanie Gobl » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I just downloaded and installed WinGimp onto a Pentium/NT40 system ...
it acts like it is working, but I open files and the workspace stays
light grey.

I tried BMP, GIF, and JPG with no luck.  The pictures open to what
is approximately the right size working area, but there's no image.  If
I open them with a browser or other editing program, they are there.

Have I missed a simple operating quirk?

Tsu

Post by Olivier Ripol » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I just downloaded and installed WinGimp onto a Pentium/NT40 system ...
> it acts like it is working, but I open files and the workspace stays
> light grey.

> I tried BMP, GIF, and JPG with no luck.  The pictures open to what
> is approximately the right size working area, but there's no image.  If
> I open them with a browser or other editing program, they are there.

> Have I missed a simple operating quirk?

> Tsu

Can you see their thumbnail in the 'Layers and Channels' window ?
I had a similar display problem after using some scripts, but switching off
and on the visibility of the layer could solve that, updating the display.

I also run wingimp (or gimpwin ;-) ) on NT4.0, and do not have your
problem, but the November version seems to be quite buggy. Maybe you should
download the previous one (August). Many people report this one is better
(but it has less functionality).

Sincerely,

Olivier.

Olivier Ripoll
Institut de Microtechnique
rue A.-L. Breguet, 2
2000 Neuchatel
Suisse

tel. : (+41/0) 32 718 32 82
fax. : (+41/0) 32 718 32 01

Post by Tor Lillqvis » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I just downloaded and installed WinGimp onto a Pentium/NT40 system ...
> it acts like it is working, but I open files and the workspace stays
> light grey.
> I tried BMP, GIF, and JPG with no luck.  The pictures open to what
> is approximately the right size working area, but there's no image.  If
> I open them with a browser or other editing program, they are there.

I haven't heard of problems like that before. What display mode do you
use? Are you perhaps using 256-colour mode? That is known not to work
properly, but I can't remember in what way it works funnily, maybe in
the way you describe.

WinGimp not showing opened images?

Post by Tsu Dho Nim » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I just downloaded and installed WinGimp onto a Pentium/NT40 system ...
>it acts like it is working, but I open files and the workspace stays
>light grey.

>I tried BMP, GIF, and JPG with no luck.  The pictures open to what
>is approximately the right size working area, but there's no image.  If
>I open them with a browser or other editing program, they are there.

>Have I missed a simple operating quirk?

Well this is like soooooooo embarrassing!!!  I forgot I had been
making screen grabs for WinHelp and had my display set to 16
colors to eliminate image editing.

Given more colors to work with, it's showing the images perfectly
now.  Now if I can find where I downloaded the manual to I should
be able to get it running.

(Mortified, I slink back into my cubicle.)

Tsu Dho Nimh

When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like
politicians invoking morality and children - grab your wallet and/or
your kid and run for your life.

WinGimp not showing opened images?

Post by Tsu Dho Nim » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>I haven't heard of problems like that before. What display mode do you
>use? Are you perhaps using 256-colour mode? That is known not to work
>properly, but I can't remember in what way it works funnily, maybe in
>the way you describe.

YUP ... another case of user error.  I've been in 16-color mode
for a couple of weeks, and forgot about it.

Tsu Dho Nimh

When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like
politicians invoking morality and children - grab your wallet and/or
your kid and run for your life.

WinGimp not showing opened images?

Post by David Mois » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 07 Dec 1999 09:16:17 +0100, Olivier Ripoll

>I also run wingimp (or gimpwin ;-) ) on NT4.0, and do not have your
>problem, but the November version seems to be quite buggy. Maybe >

I have a different kind of visibility problem with the November
release:  There is *no* text in GIMP windows.  Menu bars open, but
there's no text.  Dialog boxes open.  No text.  At all.  The text
doesn't even seem to be placed on the screen.

I have the August release still, but for the moment I don't have
either version on Windows (I have 1.1.13 for my Linux partition;  it's
broken in a *different* way (Gtk-Perl doesn't compile) :)

Take care,

Dave

Invisible Disability:  http://www1.shore.net/~dmoisan/invisible_disability.html
GE Superradio FAQ: http://www1.shore.net/~dmoisan/faqs/superradio/gesr_faq.html
Sangean ATS-909 FAQ: http://www1.shore.net/~dmoisan/faqs/sangean/ats909faq.html

WinGimp not showing opened images?

Post by Tom B » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> >I also run wingimp (or gimpwin ;-) ) on NT4.0, and do not have your
> >problem, but the November version seems to be quite buggy. Maybe >

> I have a different kind of visibility problem with the November
> release:  There is *no* text in GIMP windows.  Menu bars open, but
> there's no text.  Dialog boxes open.  No text.  At all.  The text
> doesn't even seem to be placed on the screen.

I tried the November Win 32 also and also had some font and
display problems. All the fonts seemed large and I had some scroll and
selection problems. I reverted back to the older version. Luckily I
had the older version saved that I could revert.

It may have been my fault, I may not have completely purged the right
gtk and .dll files from my system before the install because GIMP
uninstall failed.

--
    Tom B.  Naples

Post by Tor Lillqvis » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I have a different kind of visibility problem with the November
> release:  There is *no* text in GIMP windows.  Menu bars open, but
> there's no text.  Dialog boxes open.  No text.  At all.

This is a known problem on some Windows versions and/or with some
versions of Arial (or Helvetica). (I was being a bit too optimistic
about what information Windows gives a program about fonts.) For a more
detaiulled explanation, see
http://www.egroups.com/group/gimpwin-users/53.html and 49.html. My next
snapshot will contain a workaround.

Post by Tsu Dho Nim » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>> I have a different kind of visibility problem with the November
>> release:  There is *no* text in GIMP windows.  Menu bars open, but
>> there's no text.  Dialog boxes open.  No text.  At all.

>This is a known problem on some Windows versions and/or with some
>versions of Arial (or Helvetica). (I was being a bit too optimistic
>about what information Windows gives a program about fonts.) For a more
>detaiulled explanation, see
>http://www.egroups.com/group/gimpwin-users/53.html and 49.html. My next
>snapshot will contain a workaround.

  I'm playing with the AUGUST release - it's working quite well,
and the graphics artist in the next cube was trying his BEST not
to get jealous about the number of filters and textures that came
with it and the rendering speed.
  I have the oldest and slowest Pentium in the office (no
coprocessor, 133MHZ, 128M of RAM) and it's slow - but not nearly
as slow as PhotoShop on the same machine.
  Once I get used to it it's going to be anice tool.

  THANKS!

Tsu Dho Nimh

When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like
politicians invoking morality and children - grab your wallet and/or
your kid and run for your life.

1. WinGIMP - Show Brush Area?

Is there a way to have GIMP show the area the brushes will affect
as part of the cursor?  (the August build, not the buggy November
one)

I checked most of the settings and didn't see any "Show Brush
Size" options I could check.

Aside from that and a tendency to leave the script_fu process
running on NT it's working pretty well.

Tsu Dho Nimh

When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like
politicians invoking morality and children - grab your wallet and/or
your kid and run for your life.

2. Help getting started with Schroeder 92 Vertex classification

3. VkPopupMenu::show(XEvent) not showing?

4. HyperVoxels 2.0 problems... not that perfect !

5. Background image not showing in Layout LW6

6. Filter Foundry plugin - make your own filters

7. Help,Treeview and ToolButton can not show Image on some video card

8. openpicturedialogue does not show jpg image

9. OPEN/image TIPS: Attention Wang OPEN/image document imaging sites

10. Failure to open Jpeg image from stream: Quantization table 0x00 was not defined

11. Images not opening on mac

12. Opening and saving flat image files (not *.bmp)