Gif liberation day is here

Post by robert » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 23:32:42

Today the patent on gifs expires, so now gimp can legally use the extra
gimp software to save gifs and some tiffs (which use the formally patented
compression method).

Of course, IMHO, png is still a better format.

Gif liberation day is here

Post by Phil Harp » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:56:03

> Today the patent on gifs expires, so now gimp can legally use the extra
> gimp software to save gifs and some tiffs (which use the formally patented
> compression method).

> Of course, IMHO, png is still a better format.

erm, yay... but of course them being legal wont make be use them any
more than i already do.

Gif liberation day is here

Post by A.J.B 2.K. » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:06:44

does this meen i can do animation again in gif?

Quote:> > Today the patent on gifs expires, so now gimp can legally use the extra
> > gimp software to save gifs and some tiffs (which use the formally
patented
> > compression method).

> > Of course, IMHO, png is still a better format.

> erm, yay... but of course them being legal wont make be use them any
> more than i already do.

Gif liberation day is here

Post by Phil Harp » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 08:06:29

what was stopping you previously?

> does this meen i can do animation again in gif?

> > > Today the patent on gifs expires, so now gimp can legally use the extra
> > > gimp software to save gifs and some tiffs (which use the formally
>  patented
> > > compression method).

> > > Of course, IMHO, png is still a better format.

> > erm, yay... but of course them being legal wont make be use them any
> > more than i already do.

Gif liberation day is here

Post by William Kendri » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:30:52

> what was stopping you previously?

I remember hearing something-or-other about Unisys apparently suggesting
they'd go out and try to gather licensing fees (the number "$5000" comes to
mind for some reason) from websites using GIF files that weren't
created with licensed software.  (e.g., software produced by companies who
had paid Unisys a license for the LZW code used in generating GIFs).

On the Linux side of things, I think someone came out with the "ungif"
library ("libungif") which saved valid GIF format files without actually
using the Unisys-patended LZW compression algorithm.  That likely caused
much larger GIF files than necessary, but avoided the sticky patent issue.

Hopefully someone who KNOWS (rather than just vaguely remembers, like me ;) )
will post a better answer. ;)

-bill!

--

http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill/       http://newbreedsoftware.com/tuxpaint/

Gif liberation day is here

Post by A.J.B 2.K. » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:31:49

the fact the gif wasn't free in gimp

> what was stopping you previously?

> > does this meen i can do animation again in gif?

> >  patented

> > > erm, yay... but of course them being legal wont make be use them any
> > > more than i already do.

Gif liberation day is here

Post by PShut » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:09:18

>Today the patent on gifs expires, so now gimp can legally use the extra
>gimp software to save gifs and some tiffs (which use the formally patented
>compression method).

Only true in the USA I think. Some other countries have a year or so
to go.

Peter Shute

1. Announce: Free Valentine's Day Animated GIF's

    Notice: Free Valentine's Day Animated GIF's from Ulead

Ulead Systems Inc. would like to notify you that we have
free festive animated GIF images for Valentine's Day.

Send your sweetheart an email with the animated GIF of your
choice, or use them for your Web site. In either case, the free
Valentine's Day images are more environmentally friendly than
sending flowers and less fattening than chocolates.

To get your free Valentine's Day animated GIF's, visit the Ulead
Systems Web site at:  http://www.ulead.com/webutilities/

While you're there, be sure to take a look at all of the award
winning Ulead Systems web graphics utilities
such as GIF Animator, SmartSaver, Web Album, WebRazor
and more.

Happy Valentine's Day from Ulead Systems!

2. GraphicConverter file size

3. NOTICE: Free Valentine's Day Animated GIF's

4. TRON.. how did they do it?

5. Announce: Free Animated GIF of the Day

6. Please!

7. NOTICE: Free Valentine's Day Animated GIF's

8. A great new TECNOLOGY INFORMATION WEB SITE

9. Announce: Free Valentine's Day Animated GIF's

10. Announce: Free Animated GIF of the Day

11. Announce: Free Valentine's Day Animated GIF's

12. NOTICE: Free Valentine's Day Animated GIF's

13. Announce: Free Animated GIF of the Day