How to load images into already running Gimp?

How to load images into already running Gimp?

Post by Chris Baile » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 03:14:45

How can I open images repeatedly from the command line, without invoking
new instances of The Gimp?  e.g. I'd like to do:

# gimp image1.jpg
 <The Gimp launches for the first time, and loads up image1.jpg>
# gimp image2.jpg
 <image2.jpg is opening in the existing instance of The Gimp>

Basically, I don't want to have to go to the File->Open menu to open
images in all cases.

Is there a way to achieve this maybe with Script-Fu or am I just missing
something obvious?

How to load images into already running Gimp?

Post by Michael Schumache » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 03:37:39

Am Mon, 5 Nov 2001 schrieb Chris Bailey:

Quote:> How can I open images repeatedly from the command line, without invoking
> new instances of The Gimp?  e.g. I'd like to do:

> # gimp image1.jpg
>  <The Gimp launches for the first time, and loads up image1.jpg>

Try :

# gimp-remote -n image2.jpg
The Gimp opens another window or starts a new instance if there isn't one
yet.

HTH,
Michael

Post by Olivier Ripol » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 21:48:14

> How can I open images repeatedly from the command line, without invoking
> new instances of The Gimp?  e.g. I'd like to do:

> # gimp image1.jpg
>  <The Gimp launches for the first time, and loads up image1.jpg>
> # gimp image2.jpg
>  <image2.jpg is opening in the existing instance of The Gimp>

> Basically, I don't want to have to go to the File->Open menu to open
> images in all cases.

> Is there a way to achieve this maybe with Script-Fu or am I just missing
> something obvious?

why don't you simply drag and drop them from your file manager to the
toolbox (does not unfortunately works with Konqueror, gimp does not yet use
XDND - but gmc, Nautilus and Windows explorer do work)

Sincerely,

Olivier.

1. How to execute a command in an already-running gimp

I'd like to open another picture in an already-running
gimp by issuing a command on the shell command line.
If gimp is not running it should be started.
For example Netscape does exactly this by

  netscape --remote <remote-command>

I was digging my way through the gimp documentation but could
not find a hint. Any suggestions?

2. How to i put reflections/shadows on my images?

3. How to open a image under a running GIMP session from command line

4. HELP: Microtek MSF-300C scanner

6. Wrapping an Image Around a Spheroid Object??

7. How to load high-color pics into a Delphi 3 image list at run time

8. Balloon Help for Delphi 3.0?

9. How to add a image behind another Image that is already exist

10. Running Gimp through a rlogin

11. batching Windows, GIMP stalls after 15 or so runs

12. run gimp-plugins without X-Server?

13. Running gimp from another program