different jpeg types???

Post by jo » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:57:55

HI

I have an epson stylus photo 915 printer which can print pictures
from a cf card. I succesfully wrote an image in jpeg from gimp
to the card and could print it after having inserted the card into
the printer. However, today I saved another image, and the printer
didn't recognize the jpeg. When I put the cf card into my camera
it read 'incompatible jpeg type'. Does gimp save it's jpegs in
different 'types'? I couln't figure out if there are any settings
to do this...

jos

different jpeg types???

Post by Phil Harp » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 21:58:57

> HI

> I have an epson stylus photo 915 printer which can print pictures
> from a cf card. I succesfully wrote an image in jpeg from gimp
> to the card and could print it after having inserted the card into
> the printer. However, today I saved another image, and the printer
> didn't recognize the jpeg. When I put the cf card into my camera
> it read 'incompatible jpeg type'. Does gimp save it's jpegs in
> different 'types'? I couln't figure out if there are any settings
> to do this...

> jos

when you export JPEGs there are a number of different settings you can
use, the subsampling, optmise and progresive options are the ones i
would look at as far as non standard JPEGs go.

different jpeg types???

Post by robert » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 03:33:43

I would check the progressive setting first.  From the cjpeg man page:
"...progressive JPEG is not yet widely implemented, so many decoders will
be unable to view a progressive JPEG file at all."

For those not familiar with it, a progressive jpeg, the picture is stored
in multiple scans of increasing quality.  This allows the picture to be
more quickly displayed over a slow link, although with low quality.  As
more of the picture is downloaded, the quality improves.

If you want to remove the progressive, and don't have access to the
original file, on *nix machines, a program called jpegtran is available
(part of the libjpeg-progs-6b package). Supposedly it can change the jpeg
type (make a progressive non-progressive) in a lossless manner, along with
a few other modifications.

> HI

> I have an epson stylus photo 915 printer which can print pictures from a
> cf card. I succesfully wrote an image in jpeg from gimp to the card and
> could print it after having inserted the card into the printer. However,
> today I saved another image, and the printer didn't recognize the jpeg.
> When I put the cf card into my camera it read 'incompatible jpeg type'.
> Does gimp save it's jpegs in different 'types'? I couln't figure out if
> there are any settings to do this...

> jos

different jpeg types???

Post by Dave Near » Tue, 13 May 2003 20:46:28

On 14 Apr 2003 01:57:55 -0700, jos said:

Quote:> I have an epson stylus photo 915 printer which can print pictures
> from a cf card. I succesfully wrote an image in jpeg from gimp
> to the card and could print it after having inserted the card into
> the printer. However, today I saved another image, and the printer
> didn't recognize the jpeg. When I put the cf card into my camera
> it read 'incompatible jpeg type'. Does gimp save it's jpegs in
> different 'types'? I couln't figure out if there are any settings
> to do this...

I have found in the past that greyscale jpegs are not recognised
by a number of external packages. If you are converting an image
to greyscale before saving it to jpeg, re-convert it to rgb
before saving. This may solve your problem.

Dave.

--
                David Neary,
        E-Mail: bolsh at gimp dot org

1. Drawing different line types at different line width

It must be simple, but I don't know how to draw different (broken) line
types (more than the four
standard in windows) at different line width. With API only four broken
line types can be drawn
with only one width. I'm programming with Visual C++ Version 1.52
(16-bit).
How can I do it? Where can I find any information?

Any suggest will be greatly appreciated.

Bye, Kees

2. RapidApp (Vk) / Xt WorkProc Timing?

3. Height and width from different image file types

4. Space Orb 360 control

5. Need Help with different image types

6. Antialiased Polygons

7. PAPERPORT 5.1 software and different scanner types

8. glXMakeCurrentReadSGI with different visual types

9. ImageVision: ilSubtractImg of different types

10. Compatibility amongst different types of Postscript

11. Definition of different types of light sources