Running Gimp through a rlogin

Post by Mar » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 06:50:29

Hi,

I am trying to use gimp to take a screenshot of the entire screen.
The machine which I am trying to capture from does not have gimp
installed; however, I can do a rlogin to a machine on the network that
does have gimp.  It freezes on my everytime I try to take the
screenshot.  Has anyone had luck doing a screenshot over a remote
login?

Thanks in advance for any insight,
Mark

Post by Nick Levert » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:49:12

>Hi,

>I am trying to use gimp to take a screenshot of the entire screen.
>The machine which I am trying to capture from does not have gimp
>installed; however, I can do a rlogin to a machine on the network that
>does have gimp.  It freezes on my everytime I try to take the
>screenshot.  Has anyone had luck doing a screenshot over a remote
>login?

I do it like this.

The local machine (the one I want the shot of) has a console running
under X.

The local machine's /etc/ssh/ssh_config has (or this could be in your
own ~/.ssh/config) :

Host *
    ForwardX11 yes

The remote machine's /etc/ssh/sshd_config has

X11Forwarding yes

I then do

and then

I can then take screen shots at will - just tested it, I almost ended up
typing into the snapshot of this window :)

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/                      ... So express yourself ...

1. batching Windows, GIMP stalls after 15 or so runs

I needed to convert some 500 images from black-and-white (and
intermediate greys) to red-and-white and red-and-orange. This is not
an interactive task, and is best done using a tool such as
ImageMagick, but I could not imagine how to do it in ImageMagick, so I
decided to use the GIMP for this batch job.

I wrote a Script-Fu with the following function:

(define (script-fu-bcrm infile outfile infg inbg outfg outbg)

(let*
  (
    (img (car (file-png-load 1 infile infile)))
    (drawable (car (gimp-image-active-drawable img)))
  )

  (gimp-convert-rgb img)
  (plug-in-color-map 1 img drawable infg inbg outfg outbg 0)
  (gimp-convert-indexed img 0 0 16 0 1 "")
  (file-png-save 1 img drawable outfile outfile 0 9 0 0 0 1 0)
  (gimp-image-delete img)
))

This function is called by another functions that runs through a list
of file names and passes them as arguments 'infile' and 'outfile'.

However, after running the function about 15 times, GIMP for Windows
hangs and I need to kill the program to restart it. Does anyone have
an idea as to why this happens? Is there anything I can do to measure
what goes wrong?

--
Real Men Don't Need Anaesthetics

2. tiff for delphi AND kylix?

3. run gimp-plugins without X-Server?

4. Rendermorphics Reality Lab & BRender

5. Running gimp from another program

6. help in colors of "set contour"

7. Newbie: run Gimp from command line

8. 2d bbox of an object

9. How to load images into already running Gimp?

10. Error running Gimp!

11. Tell running Gimp to open a file

12. Errors running gimp 1.2.0 on Solaris 2.6

13. running gimp on dumb terminals