Swedish characters

Post by Kutznets » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:48:22

I'm using Gimp with RH9. Anywhere else in Gnome swedish characters
(???) works perfectly. But when I'm using Gimps textool it produces
two ugly characters (an A with a tilde sign over it and a yen
character if I press the letter ?).

A funny thing is when I copy the characters from texttool and paste it
in a texteditor, it become the real character I want to write. And
when I copy a swedish character from a texteditor and paste it in
Gimp, the ugly character appears again.

Anyone who have any solution to this?

/Fredrik

Swedish characters

Post by robert » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:03:22

Hopefully, the answer is simple.  I have had a similar problem with the
copyright symbol.  In the text tool box (the one where you type the text
after you select the text tool and click on the image), you can pick the
font.  You must pick a font that supports the character you are trying to
type.  Otherwise, the character becomes something else.

> I'm using Gimp with RH9. Anywhere else in Gnome swedish characters
> (???) works perfectly. But when I'm using Gimps textool it produces
> two ugly characters (an A with a tilde sign over it and a yen character
> if I press the letter ?).

> A funny thing is when I copy the characters from texttool and paste it
> in a texteditor, it become the real character I want to write. And when
> I copy a swedish character from a texteditor and paste it in Gimp, the
> ugly character appears again.

> Anyone who have any solution to this?

> /Fredrik

Swedish characters

Post by Hans Ericso » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 01:26:36

Kutznetsov:

Quote:> I'm using Gimp with RH9. Anywhere else in Gnome swedish characters
> (???) works perfectly. But when I'm using Gimps textool it produces
> two ugly characters (an A with a tilde sign over it and a yen
> character if I press the letter ?).

I have the same problem. As far as I understand, the problem is that RedHat9
uses UTF-8 as the default character set. But I haven't been able to figure
out how to change the default character set and getting it to work with
GIMP.

--
Hasse E.