Linux & Wacom Serial Tablet

Post by Liz » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:29:12

Hello all,

I just installed Lycoris Linux about a week ago and would like to get my
wacom serial tablet to work with Gimp. I tried getting help over at the
forums on the Lycoris site, but no one has been able to help me as of
yet & the only other person that inquired about this before me wasn't
able to get much help either.

So can someone here help a total linux dumb dumb on how to go about
getting my tablet  working? I don't quite understand the instructions I
found in the howto.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Liz
http://www.tutsuite.com

Linux & Wacom Serial Tablet

Post by Phil Harp » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 22:09:29

> Hello all,

> I just installed Lycoris Linux about a week ago and would like to get my
> wacom serial tablet to work with Gimp. I tried getting help over at the
> forums on the Lycoris site, but no one has been able to help me as of
> yet & the only other person that inquired about this before me wasn't
> able to get much help either.

> So can someone here help a total linux dumb dumb on how to go about
> getting my tablet  working? I don't quite understand the instructions I
> found in the howto.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Liz
> http://www.tutsuite.com

i don't own a tablet of any sort i'm afraid, so i can't offer any
hands on advice but http://gug.sunsite.dk/tutorials/ayoros1/ although
for USB versions may be of some use,
http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/ might be usefull as well, but i'm
sure you'll find howtos on google

Linux & Wacom Serial Tablet

Post by Jon M. Kay » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 01:04:24

Quote:> So can someone here help a total linux dumb dumb on how to go about
> getting my tablet  working? I don't quite understand the instructions I
> found in the howto.

I'm not sure about Lycoris, but most other Linux distributions have the
Wacom drivers installed, but not activated.  You'll need to edit your
configuration file to activate them.

First, *backup* your current configuration file, which will probably be in
        /etc/X11/XF86Config   or
        /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Then,  add the Wacom lines below your mouse section.  The relevant sections
of my configuration file are below.  Use your own mouse section instead
of mine; I just included mine to show where the Wacom lines belong in the
file.

Finally, restart X.  Your tablet and mouse should both work.  If not,
change all of the instances of "ttyS1" to "ttyS0", because you may
have your tablet on a different serial port than I do.  Restart and try
again.  This should work for you.  It works fine on my system.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "stylus"
    Driver      "wacom"
    Option      "Type" "stylus"
    Option      "Mode" "Absolute"
    Option      "Suppress" "6"
    Option      "Device" "/dev/ttyS1"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "eraser"
    Driver      "wacom"
    Option      "Type" "eraser"
    Option      "Mode" "Absolute"
    Option      "Suppress" "6"
    Option      "Device" "/dev/ttyS1"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "cursor"
    Driver      "wacom"
    Option      "Type" "cursor"
    Option      "Mode" "Absolute"
    Option      "Suppress" "6"
    Option      "Device" "/dev/ttyS1"
EndSection

~~~~| Kaye      ISyE/Psych Undergrad  The freshmen each bring a little in with
~~~~|/\|^\              Georgia Tech  them, and the seniors take none away, so
\__/ \/| |         Atlanta, GA 30332  knowledge accumulates." fortune -s

Linux & Wacom Serial Tablet

> > I just installed Lycoris Linux about a week ago and would like to get my
> > wacom serial tablet to work with Gimp. I tried getting help over at the
> > forums on the Lycoris site, but no one has been able to help me as of
> > yet & the only other person that inquired about this before me wasn't
> > able to get much help either.

> > So can someone here help a total linux dumb dumb on how to go about
> > getting my tablet  working? I don't quite understand the instructions I
> > found in the howto.

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> > Liz
> > http://www.tutsuite.com
> i don't own a tablet of any sort i'm afraid, so i can't offer any
> hands on advice but http://gug.sunsite.dk/tutorials/ayoros1/ although
> for USB versions may be of some use,
> http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/ might be usefull as well, but i'm
> sure you'll find howtos on google

http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/main
definitely, I just downloaded the driver and carefully followed the
instructions (that were easy for a serial tablet).

I got it working in half an hour and it workst great with the gimp.

Regards, pollux.

Linux & Wacom Serial Tablet

Post by Tut Suit » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 22:15:21

Jon,

Much thanks for the info. Maybe it's just me, but I found the howto a bit
confusing or maybe I just wasn't looking in the right place.

This seems simple enough. I'm going to switch on over to Linux & try this.

Thanks again for all your help.

Liz
http://www.tutsuite.com

> > So can someone here help a total linux dumb dumb on how to go about
> > getting my tablet  working? I don't quite understand the instructions I
> > found in the howto.

> I'm not sure about Lycoris, but most other Linux distributions have the
> Wacom drivers installed, but not activated.  You'll need to edit your
> configuration file to activate them.

> First, *backup* your current configuration file, which will probably be in
> /etc/X11/XF86Config   or
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

> Then,  add the Wacom lines below your mouse section.  The relevant
sections
> of my configuration file are below.  Use your own mouse section instead
> of mine; I just included mine to show where the Wacom lines belong in the
> file.

> Finally, restart X.  Your tablet and mouse should both work.  If not,
> change all of the instances of "ttyS1" to "ttyS0", because you may
> have your tablet on a different serial port than I do.  Restart and try
> again.  This should work for you.  It works fine on my system.

> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
> EndSection

> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier  "stylus"
>     Driver      "wacom"
>     Option      "Type" "stylus"
>     Option      "Mode" "Absolute"
>     Option      "Suppress" "6"
>     Option      "Device" "/dev/ttyS1"
> EndSection
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier  "eraser"
>     Driver      "wacom"
>     Option      "Type" "eraser"
>     Option      "Mode" "Absolute"
>     Option      "Suppress" "6"
>     Option      "Device" "/dev/ttyS1"
> EndSection
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier  "cursor"
>     Driver      "wacom"
>     Option      "Type" "cursor"
>     Option      "Mode" "Absolute"
>     Option      "Suppress" "6"
>     Option      "Device" "/dev/ttyS1"
> EndSection

knowledge.

Post by David Ballar » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:39:39

> Hello all,

> I just installed Lycoris Linux about a week ago and would like to get my
> wacom serial tablet to work with Gimp. I tried getting help over at the
> forums on the Lycoris site, but no one has been able to help me as of
> yet & the only other person that inquired about this before me wasn't
> able to get much help either.

> So can someone here help a total linux dumb dumb on how to go about
> getting my tablet  working? I don't quite understand the instructions I
> found in the howto.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Liz
> http://www.tutsuite.com

You might try here.

http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/
--
Where ever you go, there you are.

1. Wacom tablet & Write problem

Sorry for the long re-post text but ... I, too, have the exact same symptoms.

Write pukes and displays the error "Not enough memory to run Write ... blah
blah blah".

If any solutions to this conundrum are discovered please inform me.
I do use Write quite often.

Anyway thanks for clarifying that error for me.

2. Wintoon and VB5. Will it work.

3. ? re: PSPb5 & Wacom Tablet

4. A simple geometry problem

5. Wacom tablet & Dualhead monitors

6. 640x480 on indigo2

7. Graphire & Graphire2 Wacom tablets

8. Help me with fit-deformation

9. Wacom 4x5 tablet & PS 3.0

10. Problem with Artisan & Wacom Intuos tablet (NT)

11. SGI & Wacom tablet problems

12. WACOM tablets & the GIMP