Centering a selection

Post by Peter Erickso » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 05:18:40

I am trying to create a circle that is exactly centered within a square
image size, but am unsure how to do this. I know that I can set the rulers
to a particular place and calculate what the fixed size of the circle should
be, but I was wondering if there was an easier way to do this. I would like
to be able to create a circle with with selection tool, fill it in with a
color and then center it keeping the selection. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Centering a selection

Post by William Kendri » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 06:24:20

> I am trying to create a circle that is exactly centered within a square
> image size, but am unsure how to do this. I know that I can set the rulers
> to a particular place and calculate what the fixed size of the circle should
> be, but I was wondering if there was an easier way to do this. I would like
> to be able to create a circle with with selection tool, fill it in with a
> color and then center it keeping the selection. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Why not start at the upper left corner of the square, and then stretch the
oval selection down and to the right?  You can hold [SHIFT] once you've
started the selection, and the aspect ratio of the oval will remain 1:1
(e.g., it will be a perfect circle).

This is probably much less tedious than trying to determine the exact
center of the shape, and then stretching the oval outwards from there.
(e.g., using the [CTRL] key modifier, which causes the shape to be centered
around the spot you first clicked, rather than that spot being a corner.)

Good luck!

--

http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill  http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=billkendrick