Brush dialog related

Post by Srinivas » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:06:11

I use gimp1.2.3
1)The brush dialog in my version does not have opacity and mode options,
whereas the books I read show those. What can I do to simulate those
options in my version?
2)Some brushes(later in the menu) have edit options(like radius) while
the simple ones do not... why?
3)Do I have to create my own new brushes even for simple shapes like a
square or \ (resembling backward slash) or is there a way to convert the
empty square brush to a solid square brush or a / brush to a \ brush?

Srinivas S  (srinivasgargi at yah00 dot com)

Brush dialog related

Post by William Kendri » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:27:58

> I use gimp1.2.3
> 1)The brush dialog in my version does not have opacity and mode options,
> whereas the books I read show those. What can I do to simulate those
> options in my version?

The tools have those.  For example, the paintbrush tool.
Double-click it and the "Tool Options" dialog will appear.
Notice the "Opacity" slider and "Mode" pulldown at the top.

Quote:> 2)Some brushes(later in the menu) have edit options(like radius) while
> the simple ones do not... why?

Most brushes are bitmap images.  The editable ones are defined mathematically.
You set radius, hardness, angle, and aspect ratio.  Those brushes were made
with the "New" button in the "Brush Selection" dialog.

If you wish to edit or create bitmap brushes (like the "x"-shaped ones,
the green pepper, the yellow/orangish animated sparkly thing,e tc.), you
can just use The Gimp to edit them!

Quick example...  create a new 30x30 image with a transparent background.
Select a very small brush and then draw something in black on this new image.
(Like a star, or a happy-face.)

Go to Save the image.  In the filename text field, type ".gimp-1.2" and hit
[Tab].  You should now be inside your "~/.gimp-1.2/" directory in the
file browser.

Double-click the "brushes" directory in the "Directories" selector on the left.

Type a filename for your file, like "star.gbr" or "face.gbr".

The important thing here is (1) it's going in your "brushes" directory
and (2) the name of the file has ".gbr" at the end.

When you hit "Save" or press [Enter], a "Save as Brush" dialog should
appear.  Here, you can name the brush (edit the "Description" text field)
and change the default spacing of the brush.

Now, bring up the "Brush Selection" dialog, and click the "Refresh" button
at the bottom left of it.

Voila!  In there somewhere will be the new brush you just created!
Now you can paint with it, using the Pencil, Paint Brush, Eraser,
Air Brush, Convolver, Dodge/Burn tool and Smudge Tool!

You can also Edit->Stroke selections with it, and so forth. :^)

I do agree, though, that it'd be kinda nice if you could have Gimp load
a bitmap brush by clicking the "Edit" button in the brush dialog, rather
than having to track down the brush in "/usr/local/somewhere/something/"
and then save it to your "~/.gimp-X.Y/brushes/" directory.

It'd be much more user-friendly if it did all this junk FOR you. :^)

Of course, I too am using 1.2.3, and haven't played with any more recent
versions, so maybe the new versions already DO all this! ;^)

But, at least now you know how to do it. :^)

Quote:> 3)Do I have to create my own new brushes even for simple shapes like a
> square or \ (resembling backward slash) or is there a way to convert the
> empty square brush to a solid square brush or a / brush to a \ brush?

The Brush Editor thingy seems a little useless in Gimp (at least v. 1.2.3);
i.e., I don't think you can make a 'Square' brush.

It might be nice if there were more attributes.  Like rather than just
being circles/ellipses, if you could define polygonal brushes.
("Four sided, no rotation, 1:1 aspect ratio" to get a square;
"Four sided, 45 deg. rotation, 10:1 aspect ratio" to get a "/" or "\")

Anyway... hope this helps some!  Good luck!

-bill!

--

http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill/       http://newbreedsoftware.com/tuxpaint/

Brush dialog related

Post by Srinivas » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 01:26:40

Thanks a lot for the help!

Srinivas

> [...]

> Of course, I too am using 1.2.3, and haven't played with any more recent
> versions, so maybe the new versions already DO all this! ;^)

> But, at least now you know how to do it. :^)

> > 3)Do I have to create my own new brushes even for simple shapes like a
> > square or \ (resembling backward slash) or is there a way to convert the
> > empty square brush to a solid square brush or a / brush to a \ brush?

> The Brush Editor thingy seems a little useless in Gimp (at least v. 1.2.3);
> i.e., I don't think you can make a 'Square' brush.

> It might be nice if there were more attributes.  Like rather than just
> being circles/ellipses, if you could define polygonal brushes.
> ("Four sided, no rotation, 1:1 aspect ratio" to get a square;
> "Four sided, 45 deg. rotation, 10:1 aspect ratio" to get a "/" or "\")

> Anyway... hope this helps some!  Good luck!

1. brushes dialog box 7.0

Hi!
I have upgraded from 6 to 7 and I don't like the new dialog for brushes when
you click the brush: box all you can change with the slider is the diameter.
I miss the old dialog box where you could adjust the softness of the brush
and also change the flatness and adjust the angle. Can someone tell me where
adobe has relocated these tools?
Thanks,
Paul

2. Creating AVI files

3. On Open Dialog & Save Dialog Box

4. Please Help Me!!!

5. WTB: Kurta XGT Pressure Sensitive Pen

6. Crosshairs on a brush when using liquefy brush

7. Merge MetaFiles??

8. PS5 Brushes-any Painter 5 like brushes?

9. Art History Brush/Paint Brush

10. Soft Brush vs. Hard Brush Question