making lots of previews at once (populating .xvpics)

Post by robert » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 04:37:40

>> You can't just rename pnm files.  They are a specific type of graphics
>> format.  If you have the netpbm package installed, there is a converter
>> to various other file formats.  Since it's command line, a shell script
>> to loop through them all isn't too hard to write.

>> BTW, my gqview saves the thumbnails as png's.  Also gimp will read pnm
>> files just fine.  No need to rename, which is just confusing gimp.

> I guess you would confuse GIMP if you *don't* rename them. They are
> saved in PNM format but with the name of the original! So if you have
> foo.jpg and foo.gif GIMP writes two thumbnails into the preview
> directory but leaves the names unchanged.

> Ciao,
>    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Not entirely correct.  Suppose the original picture was called me.jpg .
When gqview saves the thumbnail, it saves it as me.jpg.png (at least my
version does; I checked before posting).  The original poster was talking
about chaning the png (or pnm in his case) extension to something else
without actually converting the file.  *That* would confuse gimp, or any
other program that tries to determine file type by extension.

Post by hou5to » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 07:49:31

>>I'd like to create all of the previews (thumb nail summaries) for a
>>directory full of images at once, without having to manually click the
>>generate-preview button for each one (in the load image panel).

> I like using GQview (shipped with Mandrake and probably Redhat?), which
> will create thumbnails and cache them in .xvpics as an option. It
> allows use of an outside editor like GIMP - right click on thumbnail
> followed by editor select. Works really great.

I tried using GQView 1.2.1, .... well, I opened the program and went to
a directory of pictures, but I don't see how to print out a page of
thumbnails.

making lots of previews at once (populating .xvpics)

Post by Roman Frol » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:07:18

Quote:> > guash is the only way (i think so) if you are working on windows as i do :-|

> > Roman

> i'm sure you can mess with imagemagik on win32, or get a version of
> DBP that is compiled correctly, but yes, it's much easier with GUASH.

guash satisfy me now :-)

Roman

Post by Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsc » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 04:47:08

> Not entirely correct.  Suppose the original picture was called me.jpg .
> When gqview saves the thumbnail, it saves it as me.jpg.png (at least my
> version does; I checked before posting).

So what? gqview is not GIMP.

Quote:>  The original poster was talking
> about chaning the png (or pnm in his case) extension to something else
> without actually converting the file.

We are talking about GIMPs thumbnails within the .xvpics subdirectory.
Those are actually pnm format but with the original file's extension.

Quote:>  *That* would confuse gimp, or any
> other program that tries to determine file type by extension.

GIMP doesn't determine the file type within .xvpics but expects it to
be pnm -- whatever extension it has. So if you want to populate .xvpics
you have to make thumbnails with the correct size in pnm format and rename
them to whatever name and extension the original has. Everything else
confuses GIMP.

Ciao,
        Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch