making lots of previews at once (populating .xvpics)

making lots of previews at once (populating .xvpics)

Post by Dan Hi » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 05:37:27

I'd like to create all of the previews (thumb nail summaries) for a
directory full of images at once, without having to manually click the
generate-preview button for each one (in the load image panel).

I suppose that there must be some way to do it (possibly with a script?).

I'm using gimp 1.2.3 on redhat 7.3 (gnu/linux).

Thanks in advance for any pointers (especially to a faq if this is on it).

dan

Post by Leonard Even » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:03:12

> I'd like to create all of the previews (thumb nail summaries) for a
> directory full of images at once, without having to manually click the
> generate-preview button for each one (in the load image panel).

You can do that with the Image Magick package which is a standard part
of any RH distribution.  If you don't have it, you can install it from
the rpm package.

In particular, the convert function will create thumbnails of the
desired size and you can just copy them into the .xvpics subdirectory of
the given directory.  The the gimp should see them as thumbnails.  I
don't know just what size they should be but a little experimentation
should suffice.

I could write a script for you, but you could do with the practice if
you've never done it before.

Once my thumbnails have been created---which happens any time I save an
image I've been working---I use the following script to create a single
file which I can display.

#!/bin/bash
cd $1/.xvpics
echo $1
montage -label %f *  /d/index/$1.png
display /d/index/$1.png

I can display this with the display command, but I find it easier to
view them from a web page.

Quote:

Post by David Hodso » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:56:24

> I'd like to create all of the previews (thumb nail summaries) for a
> directory full of images at once, without having to manually click the
> generate-preview button for each one (in the load image panel).

You might want to try dbp, a gimp plugin for batch processing.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~hodsond/dbp.html

Not as comprehensive as ImageMagick, but much easier for simple stuff.

--
David Hodson  --  this night wounds time

Post by Gail Koont » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:20:59

> I'd like to create all of the previews (thumb nail summaries) for a
> directory full of images at once, without having to manually click the
> generate-preview button for each one (in the load image panel).

I like using GQview (shipped with Mandrake and probably Redhat?), which
will create thumbnails and cache them in .xvpics as an option. It
allows use of an outside editor like GIMP - right click on thumbnail
followed by editor select. Works really great.

--
Gail Koontz             Retired in my home state
836 Mallard Rd.         ... and loving it!

making lots of previews at once (populating .xvpics)

Post by Roman Frol » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:43:21

open image in gimp from directory you want to get preview, then on the
image right-button and file, guash

Roman

Post by Phil Harp » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 05:09:14

> open image in gimp from directory you want to get preview, then on the
> image right-button and file, guash

> Roman

that's assuming that you have Guash installed. it can be retrieved
from registry.gimp.org

anyone know where nautilus stores it's thumbnails, i'm pretty sure it
does .xvpics but i'm not at home at the moment.

Phil.

making lots of previews at once (populating .xvpics)

Post by Dan Hi » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 04:33:39

Hi All,

Thanks for all of the followups: here are some questions/issues about them:

(1) Len suggested using the Image Magick programs, particularly convert.

    Thanks Len for the suggestion.

    My problem with convert is that i don't know how to use the -size option,
    and there doesn't seem to be a -format option:
      convert source_file.jpg -size 80x54 target_file.jpg
    doesn't work.  It creates a file, but the size, as seen from the identify
    program, is much larger.  Also, the gimp's thumbnails seem to be in
    pnm format, but the file names don't reflect this.  (And the -size
    option for convert source_file.jpg -size 80x54 target_file.pnm also
    doesn't work for me.)

    My Image Magick version is 5.4.3.

    Otherwise i'd be happy to use this and write a script to automate
    the process.  Thanks again Len for the suggestion, and i wish i
    could follow it.

(2) David suggested that i use the plugin described at
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~hodsond/dbp.html

    Well, i downloaded it, and it compiles, and i even
    managed to get it into the gimp (i think, anyway: i
    used File > Preferences, then Directories > Plug-Ins
    to add the directory for it, and restarted the gimp).

    But i'm so green and clueless i don't know how to get
    to the Input page David's web site describes (i don't
    know anything about using plugins).

    Thanks David for writing the software and gpl'ing it,
    putting it on a web page, and pointing it out, and if
    i were a little more competent i'd use it, but i don't
    know how to use plugins.  Anybody who wants to point out
    a faq on what must be a trivial operation please do so,
    and thanks.

(3) Gail suggested using GQview, which i can invoke by
    typing gqview.  And indeed, if you select the View > Thumbnails
    options, it will generate thumbnails for (at least) all of the
    jpg documents in the directory you are in.  There is an
    Edit > Options menu, which leads to a panel with an image tab
    in which you can specify to cache thumbnails.

    It does cache the thumbnails, although not in .xvpics but in
    some directory ~/.gqview_thmb, and they're not named the way
    gimp likes them, but with a .pnm tacked on the end of each.

    But it's easy enough to write a script which moves all the
    thumbnails into .xvpics and renames them (which i did).

    However, if you do, then gimp doesn't recognize them, but
    instead complains
        Thumbnail doesn't have the 'P7 332' header.

    Thanks again Gail for the suggestion, which wouldn't have
    occurred to me, and i wish i could take the final step to
    make it work (putting in the P7 332 header).

(4) Roman suggested open image in the directory for the preview,
    then `on the image right-button and file, guash'.

    I'm not quite sure if this a typo (guash for push?), or just some
    other piece of information that i'm not clued in on.

    But i don't want to push the button hundreds of times, if it
    is push.  I would like to do it a whole directory at a time.

    Thanks Roman anyway for the suggestion, i appreciate all the help
    i can get.

So thanks to all (Len, David, Gail, Roman), and sorry i'm not such
a good student.  You are all very helpful teachers though.

dan

making lots of previews at once (populating .xvpics)

Post by Dan Hi » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:53:13

Thanks very much Phil and Roman: following Phil, i found, compiled,
and installed guash, and following Roman i used it.

(This does leave some loose ends, because the methods so kindly
suggested by Len, Gail, and David all look interesting as well,
but i had some problems with each of them as i posted previously.)

Thanks again everybody for all the help.

dan

Post by Blinky the Shar » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:38:35

>     My problem with convert is that i don't know how to use the -size option,

man convert will give you the options and syntax.  You can't just stick
them in in random order.

Quote:>     and there doesn't seem to be a -format option:
>       convert source_file.jpg -size 80x54 target_file.jpg

You wanted resize, not size.  Size refers to the original image.

Quote:>     doesn't work.  It creates a file, but the size, as seen from the identify
>     program, is much larger.  Also, the gimp's thumbnails seem to be in

--
Blinky                              Linux RU 297263
Spam: The Boulder Pledge   http://snurl.com/boulder

Post by Phil Harp » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:57:46

> Thanks very much Phil and Roman: following Phil, i found, compiled,
> and installed guash, and following Roman i used it.

> (This does leave some loose ends, because the methods so kindly
> suggested by Len, Gail, and David all look interesting as well,
> but i had some problems with each of them as i posted previously.)

> Thanks again everybody for all the help.

> dan

> >> open image in gimp from directory you want to get preview, then on the
> >> image right-button and file, guash

> >> Roman

> >that's assuming that you have Guash installed. it can be retrieved
> >from registry.gimp.org

> >anyone know where nautilus stores it's thumbnails, i'm pretty sure it
> >does .xvpics but i'm not at home at the moment.

> >Phil.

heh, glad we could help.

if you can't find DBP it's under <toolbox> - Xtns - Batch Process

Post by David Hodso » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:16:14

> if you can't find DBP it's under <toolbox> - Xtns - Batch Process

D'OH!

It really doesn't say that anywhere on the Web page, does it?
OK, it's fixed now.

--
David Hodson  --  this night wounds time

making lots of previews at once (populating .xvpics)

Post by robert » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:07:12

You can't just rename pnm files.  They are a specific type of graphics
format.  If you have the netpbm package installed, there is a converter to
various other file formats.  Since it's command line, a shell script to
loop through them all isn't too hard to write.

BTW, my gqview saves the thumbnails as png's.  Also gimp will read pnm
files just fine.  No need to rename, which is just confusing gimp.

> Hi All,

> Thanks for all of the followups: here are some questions/issues about
> them:

<snip>
> (3) Gail suggested using GQview, which i can invoke by
>     typing gqview.  And indeed, if you select the View > Thumbnails
>     options, it will generate thumbnails for (at least) all of the jpg
>     documents in the directory you are in.  There is an Edit > Options
>     menu, which leads to a panel with an image tab in which you can
>     specify to cache thumbnails.

>     It does cache the thumbnails, although not in .xvpics but in some
>     directory ~/.gqview_thmb, and they're not named the way gimp likes
>     them, but with a .pnm tacked on the end of each.

>     But it's easy enough to write a script which moves all the thumbnails
>     into .xvpics and renames them (which i did).

>     However, if you do, then gimp doesn't recognize them, but instead
>     complains
>         Thumbnail doesn't have the 'P7 332' header.

>     Thanks again Gail for the suggestion, which wouldn't have occurred to
>     me, and i wish i could take the final step to make it work (putting in
>     the P7 332 header).

<snip>

making lots of previews at once (populating .xvpics)

Post by Roman Frol » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:02:45

Quote:> (4) Roman suggested open image in the directory for the preview,
>     then `on the image right-button and file, guash'.

>     I'm not quite sure if this a typo (guash for push?), or just some
>     other piece of information that i'm not clued in on.

>     But i don't want to push the button hundreds of times, if it
>     is push.  I would like to do it a whole directory at a time.

>     Thanks Roman anyway for the suggestion, i appreciate all the help
>     i can get.

guash is the only way (i think so) if you are working on windows as i do :-|

Roman

Post by Phil Harp » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:15:00

> > (4) Roman suggested open image in the directory for the preview,
> >     then `on the image right-button and file, guash'.

> >     I'm not quite sure if this a typo (guash for push?), or just some
> >     other piece of information that i'm not clued in on.

> >     But i don't want to push the button hundreds of times, if it
> >     is push.  I would like to do it a whole directory at a time.

> >     Thanks Roman anyway for the suggestion, i appreciate all the help
> >     i can get.

> guash is the only way (i think so) if you are working on windows as i do :-|

> Roman

i'm sure you can mess with imagemagik on win32, or get a version of
DBP that is compiled correctly, but yes, it's much easier with GUASH.

Post by Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsc » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:33:53

> You can't just rename pnm files.  They are a specific type of graphics
> format.  If you have the netpbm package installed, there is a converter to
> various other file formats.  Since it's command line, a shell script to
> loop through them all isn't too hard to write.

> BTW, my gqview saves the thumbnails as png's.  Also gimp will read pnm
> files just fine.  No need to rename, which is just confusing gimp.

I guess you would confuse GIMP if you *don't* rename them. They are saved
in PNM format but with the name of the original! So if you have foo.jpg
and foo.gif GIMP writes two thumbnails into the preview directory but
leaves the names unchanged.

Ciao,
        Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

1. making graphics for webpages (once more)

is there no one turtorial anywhere on how to make webgraphics in paint shop
pro for the web? I know i have seen one somewhere but i cant remember the
adress. and i dont mean just like buttons and tubes and things like that but
menus and art, and graphics, an whole disign, please help, i realy need to
know. Sam

2. Help given on Max2/Softimage

3. Making lots of TBitmaps out of one bmp

4. SDK 1.2 Help

5. Making high quality Pict Previews of EPSF files?

6. SMALLER JPEGs

7. Error making preview...

8. WANTED: C++-Library/class/source-code for *.CGM (Computer Graphics Metafile)

9. making thumbnail previews

10. Making preview

11. .xvpics

12. How do remove this folder .xvpics