How to crop a selection of fixed size?

Post by Michael Bade » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 21:45:02

Hi,

I'd like to cut a rectangle of fixed size out of a photography.
That means, I'd like to be able to define a rectangle of the
desired size (say, 200x300 pixels) and move this rectangle over
the picture like a stencil, until I find a nice selection, and
then crop the image to this rectangle.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Michael

Post by Michael Bade » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 00:25:23

>> I'd like to cut a rectangle of fixed size out of a photography.
>> That means, I'd like to be able to define a rectangle of the
>> desired size (say, 200x300 pixels) and move this rectangle over
>> the picture like a stencil, until I find a nice selection, and
>> then crop the image to this rectangle.

>> Is there an easy way to do this?

> Yes..  On the main Gimp toolbox, choose crop..  (It's a little knife
> or scalpel).  Now, click anywhere on your image once.  You'll get a
> text box that will allow you to size and move your selection at the
> pixel level.  You'll know what to do when you see it..

Ah, thanks.
However, it would be even nicer if you could move the crop window with
the mouse keeping the window size intact.
Typing in the pixel offsets is OK but sometimes a bit tedious ...

Michael

How to crop a selection of fixed size?

Post by Lee J. Moor » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 00:38:38

[..]

Quote:> it would be even nicer if you could move the crop window with
> the mouse keeping the window size intact. [..]

You can.  Grip the bottom-left or top-right of the crop box with the
mouse....and move it! :-)

Regards
--
Lee J. Moore
Remove the monarchy to email

Post by Leonard Even » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 00:55:18

> Hi,

> I'd like to cut a rectangle of fixed size out of a photography. That
> means, I'd like to be able to define a rectangle of the desired size
> (say, 200x300 pixels) and move this rectangle over the picture like a
> stencil, until I find a nice selection, and then crop the image to this
> rectangle.

> Is there an easy way to do this?

Let me echo the suggestion that you just use the crop tool.  Let me add
though that two of the boxes at opposite corners move the box and the
other two at the other two opposite corners can be used to change its
size.   The corners for moving the box are marked with a + when you
click on them.  As the other fellow said, just play with it a bit, and you will
see what to do.   It is not very hard.

Let me also add that you may want to use the rulers and guides to choose
the box size first.   The crop boundaries will snap to them, but you can
move the box afterwards or resize it if need be.

Quote:

Post by Michael Bade » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 01:57:30

>> it would be even nicer if you could move the crop window with
>> the mouse keeping the window size intact. [..]

> You can.  Grip the bottom-left or top-right of the crop box with the
> mouse....and move it! :-)

So, indeed everything is there ... you just have to find it :-)

Thanks a lot

Michael

Post by Olivier Ripol » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 22:05:24

> >> it would be even nicer if you could move the crop window with
> >> the mouse keeping the window size intact. [..]

> > You can.  Grip the bottom-left or top-right of the crop box with the
> > mouse....and move it! :-)

> So, indeed everything is there ... you just have to find it :-)

> Thanks a lot

> Michael

Alternatively, you can use a selection (it is possible to specify the size
of a selection in the tools options window), then drag it where you want
(press ALT while draggging, or with some window managers, CTRL+ALT while
dragging), and then use the crop tool. There is an option that says "from
selection" and will adjust your cropping size to the active selection.

Sincerely,

Olivier.

1. * Cropping using a dynamic, but fixed ratio, selections

Yes, easily.

--
Literary forums; Onyx, a game of sexual exploration; Xero, the industrial
magazine of art, fiction and photography; fine-art photo gallery--all at

2. (no subject)

3. Cropping to a fixed size

4. Maya-to-Premiere

5. ??fixed size cropping

6. what's a Video Toaster

7. Fixed size Cropping: how to do?

8. particle storm

9. Crop to fixed size?

10. cropping at fixed size and resolution

11. 4.01 crashing on fixed size crop

12. Fixed size selections

13. CROP 'problem' fix for PS5