jpg to mpg?

Post by Todd » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 04:50:32

Can gimp be used to convert a bunch of jpg pictures to a mpg video?  If so,
how, if not do you know of any open source project that does?

jpg to mpg?

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 03:28:15

> Can gimp be used to convert a bunch of jpg pictures to a mpg video?

As far as I know gimp is not able to save mpeg video. However, it is able
to save animated gifs. At least this applies to gimp 1.2.

Quote:> if not do you know of any open source project that does?

The convert program which is a part of ImageMagick could do this.

You could also use transcode which is another open source program.

Another program is mencoder which comes with mplayer.

regards Henrik
hc2(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

jpg to mpg?

Post by maxel » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 03:41:10

You may be able to do this with cinepaint, a GNU program with a GIMP
feel.  It's apparently used in hollywood to alter, repair, manipulate
multiple frames of a motion picture file.

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:28:15 +0200, "Henrik Carlqvist"

>> Can gimp be used to convert a bunch of jpg pictures to a mpg video?

>As far as I know gimp is not able to save mpeg video. However, it is able
>to save animated gifs. At least this applies to gimp 1.2.

>> if not do you know of any open source project that does?

>The convert program which is a part of ImageMagick could do this.

>You could also use transcode which is another open source program.

>Another program is mencoder which comes with mplayer.

>regards Henrik

jpg to mpg?

Post by Phil Harp » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 09:55:21

i don't recall being able to produce animations in
CinePaint/FilmGIMP(which isn't a GNU program with a GIMP feel, but a
primative GIMP release with high colour depth support) it saves out to
some strange formats, but none were videos last time i looked, may
have changed by now though...

it's used in holywood for work on massively high-res frames of film,
not to generate MPEG videos.

indeed both GIMP 1.2 and 1.3 can export to animated GIF(256c limit
though), and possibly MNG(but i haven't tracked down a plug-in).

MEncoder can produce MJPEG from static frames in sequence, so may be
your best bet, nice documentation here
http://mp.dev.hu/DOCS/encoding.html

> You may be able to do this with cinepaint, a GNU program with a GIMP
> feel.  It's apparently used in hollywood to alter, repair, manipulate
> multiple frames of a motion picture file.

> On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:28:15 +0200, "Henrik Carlqvist"

> >> Can gimp be used to convert a bunch of jpg pictures to a mpg video?

> >As far as I know gimp is not able to save mpeg video. However, it is able
> >to save animated gifs. At least this applies to gimp 1.2.

> >> if not do you know of any open source project that does?

> >The convert program which is a part of ImageMagick could do this.

> >You could also use transcode which is another open source program.

> >Another program is mencoder which comes with mplayer.

> >regards Henrik

jpg to mpg?

Post by Todd » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 11:41:15

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I found a freeware program that does it
all nicely, called Slide Show Movie Maker.

Quote:> Can gimp be used to convert a bunch of jpg pictures to a mpg video?

Post by Spamles » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 18:53:04

> i don't recall being able to produce animations in
> CinePaint/FilmGIMP(which isn't a GNU program with a GIMP feel, but a
> primative GIMP release with high colour depth support) it saves out to
> some strange formats, but none were videos last time i looked, may
> have changed by now though...

> it's used in holywood for work on massively high-res frames of film,
> not to generate MPEG videos.

> indeed both GIMP 1.2 and 1.3 can export to animated GIF(256c limit
> though), and possibly MNG(but i haven't tracked down a plug-in).

> MEncoder can produce MJPEG from static frames in sequence, so may be
> your best bet, nice documentation here
> http://mp.dev.hu/DOCS/encoding.html

I often do an animation (titles and others) in Gimp's GAP
and, at the end, change the files (frames) to jpeg.

mplayer/mencoder can read multiple JPEG files as a movie
and encode (usually I use a named pipe, since otherwise
it is too large, called stream.yuv and use mplayer to
output to yuv which automatically writes to file
stream.yuv, and cat that named pipe into yuvscaler
to set it up for burning to an (S)VCD).

jpg to mpg?

Post by Spamles » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:24:19

> Can gimp be used to convert a bunch of jpg pictures to a mpg video?  If so,
> how, if not do you know of any open source project that does?

Are they the same size? The frames in a "movie"?

Do you want to animate/move them around during an animated
title?

mplayer can read/display a sequence of JPG images as a movie.
To burn to a (S)VCD ([Super] Video CD) you will need a sound
file (it can be all silence, but you need the sound file)
and vcdimager.

mencoder can encode the sequence of jpgs to various formats.

To create a video cd, I use mplayer with a named pipe for
YUV output and "cat" that into transcode to set it up
for mpeg2 and then use vcdimager/cdrdao to create the SVCD.

Gimp does have an interface if you have the right libraries,
however.

Gimp's GAP plugin (gimp animation plugin) takes a sequence
of files named whatever_0001.xcf, whatever_0002.xcf, etc.
(you can try *.jpg but to make full use of GAP you would
have to convert to xcf, for example, if you want to add
layers with extra animation or move one image over another
and create animation frames from that action).

Load the first file. (whatever_0001.xcf). Right click.
On the toolbar choose VIDEO. There is an encode option.

For example, the mpeg2 encode says you must first convert
from jpg or xcf to ppm or yuv format (there is an option
for FRAMES_CONVERT). mpeg1 encode says jpeg format will
work (you would not have to convert the frames).

This is just an interface to the mpeg encoder programmes
which must be installed (so it is not really GIMP that
does the conversion, but it can invoke a converter).

In other words ... it can be done :-)

(I use Gimp's GAP sometimes to create animated titles
 and use mplayer/transcode/vcdimager to put them
 on SVCDs)

jpg to mpg?

Post by Spamles » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:04:27

> mencoder can encode the sequence of jpgs to various formats.

Using mencoder.

The libavcodec supports mpeg1 video (apparently not mpeg2) (I am using
mplayer/mencoder .90rc5 since I had some problems with the final .90)

Let me convert some images all to the same size ... what am I sure
will work (I don't want to spend too much time on this test) ...
320x240 will surely work. I have some jpeg's and png's of various
sizes ... let me use ImageMagick and convert them.

Let me check them ... say, 5 seconds each for a slide show.
That is a frames per second of 1/5=.2

mplayer -fs -mf "on:fps=.2:type=jpg" "*.jpg"

(one needs the quotation marks around the "*.jpg"
 or else mplayer would play the first, then close down,
 then open up and play the second, then close down ...
 with the quotation marks, it takes this as a sequence
 of jpg's to play as part of a movie)

   -fs: full screen
   -mf: multiple files: on   (on)
                        fps  (frames per second: .2, five seconds each)
                        type (jpeg images)

Now let's convert this to an mpeg1 movie at 29.97 frames per second (NTSC
format) (this will duplicate frames so the final movie will have 29.97
frames per second but the frames will show each image for five seconds
each).

Two possibilities:

 mencoder -mf "on:fps=.2:type=jpg" -ofps 29.97 -ovc lavc -lavcopts "vcodec=mpeg1video" -o "myfile.mpg" "*.jpg"

This provides an AVI result with mpeg1 encoding.

 mencoder -mf "on:fps=.2:type=jpg" -ofps 29.97 -ovc lavc -lavcopts "vcodec=mpeg1video" -of mpeg -o "myfile.mpg" "*.jpg"

provides lots of error messages, but an *mpg file but each frame only
lasts 1/30th of a second.

 mencoder -mf "on:fps=.2:type=jpg" -ofps .2 -ovc lavc -lavcopts "vcodec=mpeg1video" -of mpeg -o "myfile.mpg" "*.jpg"

gives lots of error messages and an mpeg1 file where each frame lasts 5 seconds.

(the files play in mplayer)

  -ofps:     output file frames per second
  -ovc:      output codec
  -lavcopts: options for the lavc codec
  -of:       output format (avi/mpeg)
  -o:        output filename

jpg to mpg?

Post by Spamles » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:06:01

> i don't recall being able to produce animations in
> CinePaint/FilmGIMP(which isn't a GNU program with a GIMP feel, but a
> primative GIMP release with high colour depth support) it saves out to
> some strange formats, but none were videos last time i looked, may
> have changed by now though...

> it's used in holywood for work on massively high-res frames of film,
> not to generate MPEG videos.

> indeed both GIMP 1.2 and 1.3 can export to animated GIF(256c limit
> though), and possibly MNG(but i haven't tracked down a plug-in).

They also (if you have loaded a file with name something_0001.[type])
have a video item on the <IMAGE> toolbar (right click on the image)
which can invoke mpeg_encode or mpeg2encode. mpeg2encode suffices
(you will then also have the option to create mpeg1). You would first
have to convert the images to ppm format (images [something]_0001.[type]
[something]_0002.[type], etc.: use the Frames_Convert option and give
the extension ppm) then the VIDEO|ENCODE to mpeg2 will - not encode.
It will create a parameter file for encoding the files and a tiny
script you can run (it will optionally run it, but sometimes it
could not find it). All it does is run:

 mpeg2encode paramter_file movie_name

(I have had problems playing an mpeg2 encoded file created from
 ppm images on mplayer .90rc5 - it plays ok, but cannot stop! The
 last frame locks up mplayer - it is not the format for if I use
 "mplayer -frames 20 [movie.name]" so it does not reach the last
 frame, it still locks up when it tries to stop.
 I haven't had problems when using mplayer to play a sequence
 of jpegs while sending the output to stream.yuv, a named pipe,
 and "cat"ting that into yuvscaler and them mpeg2encode for SVCD
 format (size, fps, etc.))

So ... mpeg2encode, but it may take some time to work out the
command line switches or parameter file format for encoding.
You can use GIMP to create that parameter file.

Quote:> MEncoder can produce MJPEG from static frames in sequence, so may be
> your best bet, nice documentation here
> http://mp.dev.hu/DOCS/encoding.html

It can encode them into may different formats.

1. Looking for a .JPG to .MPG converter

Hey all,

Sorry, I am new and I know this is probably a redundant question, but
I am looking for an app that has command line parameters and can take
a directory of .JPG files and convert them into a single .MPG movie
file.  Does such a thing exist?  I currently have the movies stored as
.AVI files, but they are to big to be sending over the internet.
Thanks for any help.

2. What do you call this?

3. Generating movie(mpg,jpg) of image(bmp,jpg,gif)

4. Request: Character Animation

5. Converting TGA, JPG or GIF to MPG or AVI

6. Chordal Axis Transformation

7. FAQ on JPG,MPG,GIF,BMP WHERE ????

8. PCX format changes.

9. how to extract jpg image from mpg ?

10. TGA, FLI, MPG, and JPG utilities needed for unix/sun

11. HELP Playing an MPG and loading a JPG in CBuilder

12. Thumbnails of JPG & MPG frames