Measure tool

Post by Beda Szukic » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 23:55:41

Hello

The measure tool is very useful. Is there a possibility to not simply
show the data, but to export them to some database or program?

If I want to know of wich race my bees are, I take 50 wings and measure
some distancies and geometrical relations of several points on the wings
of the bees in question. Last time I did this manually with a microfilm
projector. The measure tool of gimp seems to me the perfect tool to
collect these data, but I would be glad to be able to export these data
and not to write them down.

Maybe gimp is too big for a simple measurement like this. Do you happen to
know some other program wich does the same?

Greetings                      Beda

Measure tool

Post by James Waldb » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:21:12

> The measure tool is very useful. Is there a possibility to not simply
> show the data, but to export them to some database or program?

> If I want to know of which race my bees are, I take 50 wings and measure
> some distancies and geometrical relations of several points on the wings
> of the bees in question. Last time I did this manually with a microfilm
> projector. [...] I would be glad to be able to export these data
> and not to write them down.

I doubt that the measure-data can be exported without modifying gimp
source code in measure.c.  I think that just before line 366, ie
    measure_tool->function = FINISHED;
you can add code of your own to write out elements of
measure_tool->x[i] and y[i] for i = 0 to 2 and see what you get.

Another approach would be to force the image into an indexed color
mode, add dots of unique color at points you want to measure,
save the image in a simple format like BMP, read the image with
a simple post-processor and have it output the data you want.

Tool options -- I noticed in the code that Measure-distances-
and-angles has a bunch of options I didn't know about before;
see list below.
-jiw

"Use Info Window" - This check-button turns on/off the option
of displaying measured distance and angle in a separate window
as well, rather than only on the status line.

MOVING - Hold Alt (first) and left-press (second) and move the mouse
to move the measure-line around without changing length or angle.

Vertical measurements - Left-press (first) and hold Alt (second)
for vertical-clamped measurements.

Horizontal measurements - Hold Ctrl and left-press and then move
the mouse for horizontal-clamped measurements.  Or left-press
first and then hold Ctrl, makes no difference.

Included angles - To measure an included angle ABC:  Measure AB
in the usual way (left-press at A, move to B, left-release).
With cursor near B, hold Shift, then move to C.

For vertical guide at a measure point [without dragging out
a guide from rulers in the usual way]:  put cursor near a
measure point; hold Alt; left click.

For horizontal guide at a measure point: put cursor near a
measure point; hold Ctrl; left click.

1. Measure tool doesn't work

When I click the line doesn't show up. I tried rebooting and also
reinstalling photoshop. I am using photoshop 7.

Thanks!
Mary

2. Change/Save Icon in Existing .EXE

3. Measure Tool in Plugin

4. WANTED: Graphic Artist

5. Measure Tool

6. Measure Tool Question

7. Exporting Measurements to Excel (MEASURE TOOL)

8. Measuring Tool

9. PS6.01 Where is the measuring tool?