other scripting languages?

Post by Bernd Fuhrman » Sat, 03 May 2003 16:07:22

Hi!

I need to write some scripts for The Gimp (should run with Windows and Linux
version at least), however Scheme is driving me mad. So, what alternatives
do I have?

I tried to get jgimp to work, but I could not find a working version
(corrupt ZIP file).

How do the other scripting systems work with the menus?

Thx in advance

B. Fuhrmann

other scripting languages?

Post by William Kendri » Sat, 03 May 2003 17:49:52

> Hi!

> I need to write some scripts for The Gimp (should run with Windows and Linux
> version at least), however Scheme is driving me mad. So, what alternatives
> do I have?

Perl and Python, if I'm not mistaken.

-bill!

--

http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill/    http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill/resume/

other scripting languages?

Post by Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsc » Sat, 03 May 2003 17:56:18

>> I need to write some scripts for The Gimp (should run with Windows and Linux
>> version at least), however Scheme is driving me mad. So, what alternatives
>> do I have?

> Perl and Python, if I'm not mistaken.

But AFAIK not under Windows!?

Ciao,
        Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

other scripting languages?

Post by Bernd Fuhrman » Sat, 03 May 2003 18:42:54

> >> I need to write some scripts for The Gimp (should run with Windows and
Linux
> >> version at least), however Scheme is driving me mad. So, what
alternatives
> >> do I have?

> > Perl and Python, if I'm not mistaken.

> But AFAIK not under Windows!?

> Ciao,
> Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Exactly. Both use the Linux infrastructure to call perl/python. Has anybody
got a working version of that java thing? Is it usable (unlike scheme which
does not even have a de*, standard output, and so on)?

other scripting languages?

Post by Gour » Sat, 03 May 2003 20:16:12

> Perl and Python, if I'm not mistaken.

What about Ruby (http://tinyurl.com/at5c  :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

other scripting languages?

Post by Geoffrey Summerhaye » Sun, 04 May 2003 03:42:47

> Hi!

> I need to write some scripts for The Gimp (should run with Windows and Linux
> version at least), however Scheme is driving me mad. So, what alternatives
> do I have?

> I tried to get jgimp to work, but I could not find a working version
> (corrupt ZIP file).

> How do the other scripting systems work with the menus?

What's driving you mad about SIOD?

Admittedly the included scripts aren't the best from a programmer's
POV and SIOD isn't RnRS compliant by a long shot. But it does have
a small footprint and very good access to Gimp functions.

--
Geoff

other scripting languages?

Post by Bernd Fuhrman » Mon, 05 May 2003 05:25:05

>>Hi!

>>I need to write some scripts for The Gimp (should run with Windows and Linux
>>version at least), however Scheme is driving me mad. So, what alternatives
>>do I have?

>>I tried to get jgimp to work, but I could not find a working version
>>(corrupt ZIP file).

>>How do the other scripting systems work with the menus?

> What's driving you mad about SIOD?

Debugging them, lack of documentation, unneccessary brackets (guess I
need a better editor) in general and the worst thing: it's not fast.
It took about a minute to color 200x200 pixels which is not usable for a
simple handmade draw-rectangle function. So should one recommend to
write extensions to gimp in this language? I seriously doubt that. On
the other hand it would be cool to have a portable language for this and
all future gimp-versions. So what would you choose to write some cool
filters? C/C++? Scheme?

Quote:> Admittedly the included scripts aren't the best from a programmer's
> POV and SIOD isn't RnRS compliant by a long shot. But it does have
> a small footprint and very good access to Gimp functions.

> --
> Geoff

other scripting languages?

Post by Michael Schumache » Mon, 05 May 2003 05:58:36

> > What's driving you mad about SIOD?

> Debugging them, lack of documentation, unneccessary brackets (guess I
> need a better editor) in general and the worst thing: it's not fast.
> It took about a minute to color 200x200 pixels which is not usable for
> a simple handmade draw-rectangle function. So should one recommend to
> write extensions to gimp in this language? I seriously doubt that. On
> the other hand it would be cool to have a portable language for this
> and all future gimp-versions. So what would you choose to write some
> cool filters? C/C++? Scheme?

SIOD (aka Script-Fu) intends to be some kind of macro 'recorder', used
to write script that call other plugins and scripts with predefined
values.

If you want to write filters (these are plug-ins), use C, C++ or Java
(if you find a working JGimp).

Michael

--

The GIMP (deutsch)   : http://www.gimp.de

other scripting languages?

Post by Phil Harp » Wed, 07 May 2003 10:14:58

> >>Hi!

> >>I need to write some scripts for The Gimp (should run with Windows and Linux
> >>version at least), however Scheme is driving me mad. So, what alternatives
> >>do I have?

> >>I tried to get jgimp to work, but I could not find a working version
> >>(corrupt ZIP file).

> >>How do the other scripting systems work with the menus?

> > What's driving you mad about SIOD?
> Debugging them, lack of documentation, unneccessary brackets (guess I
> need a better editor) in general and the worst thing: it's not fast.
> It took about a minute to color 200x200 pixels

how did you manage that, was calling bucket fill not a viable option?
Quote:> which is not usable for a
> simple handmade draw-rectangle function. So should one recommend to
> write extensions to gimp in this language? I seriously doubt that. On
> the other hand it would be cool to have a portable language for this and
> all future gimp-versions. So what would you choose to write some cool
> filters? C/C++? Scheme?

for scripts perl or scheme for filters you'd really have to do some
clever use of other scripted filters(like warpsharp perl-fu and
unsharp script-fu)otherwise do it in C

you might like to give the scheme tutorials at the bottom of
http://gug.sunsite.dk/?page=tutorials a go.

Quote:> > Admittedly the included scripts aren't the best from a programmer's
> > POV and SIOD isn't RnRS compliant by a long shot. But it does have
> > a small footprint and very good access to Gimp functions.

> > --
> > Geoff

1. If somobody could give me the full description to POV-Ray's script language

Hello!
I'm trying to do something cool in POV-Ray, but I know only the basics of
it's script language. If somebody could give me an address to any WWW
archive containing full descritpion of POV script language or send me his
own sources (containing a lot of tricks and effects) I would be very
grateful to him.

2. Deleting part of the Construction History.

3. Creating drawings with script language

4. Shortcuts in Canvas 5

5. DVE script language (e.g. EVT Effect files)

6. ZM needs review!

7. Fonts for world language scripts

8. Texture Object Extension

9. RayTrace Script Language Definition