Using Fill Patterns (newbie Q)

Post by Peter Willia » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 21:50:04

Hi Folks,

        I have just installed The Gimp for Windows (v1.2... yes I know
it's probably not the latest) and I saw that it has Fill Patterns. I
worked out how to select the fill pattern but what do I do next? For
example I want to draw a rectangle and fill it with the current fill
pattern or draw a circle and fill it with the fill pattern. How do I
do this.... what are the steps for drawing a rectangle the filling it
with a pattern?

        I want to do this to make some simple buttons + learn how to
use The Gimp.

Regards,
        Peter W.
Canberra, Australia

Post by Spamles » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:37:26

> Hi Folks,

>    I have just installed The Gimp for Windows (v1.2... yes I know
> it's probably not the latest) and I saw that it has Fill Patterns. I
> worked out how to select the fill pattern but what do I do next? For
> example I want to draw a rectangle and fill it with the current fill
> pattern or draw a circle and fill it with the fill pattern. How do I
> do this.... what are the steps for drawing a rectangle the filling it
> with a pattern?

You would not draw a rectangle, but select a rectangular region
on one of your layers.

Before that, double click on the bucket fill item (at least it is
a double click in Linux). There are options for the fill. Foreground,
background and current pattern. Choose the pattern as your fill option.

Click on the pattern sample on the main menu and choose the pattern
you want.

With some layer selected on your image, click the rectangle select
item on the menu.

Now use that to select a rectangular region.

Now you are set.

With the rectangular region showing its "marching ants" border
(it is selected), click on the bucket fill item on the menu.

Now just click in the rectangular region you have selected.

So ... configure the bucket fill for the pattern fill you
want. Select something using a select tool. Click on/in the
selected region with the bucket fill tool selected as the
action to take.

Quote:>    I want to do this to ... learn how to use The Gimp.

You will :-)

Using Fill Patterns (newbie Q)

Post by Peter Willia » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 03:41:10

Thank you so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!

>> Hi Folks,

>>        I have just installed The Gimp for Windows (v1.2... yes I know
>> it's probably not the latest) and I saw that it has Fill Patterns. I
>> worked out how to select the fill pattern but what do I do next? For
>> example I want to draw a rectangle and fill it with the current fill
>> pattern or draw a circle and fill it with the fill pattern. How do I
>> do this.... what are the steps for drawing a rectangle the filling it
>> with a pattern?

>You would not draw a rectangle, but select a rectangular region
>on one of your layers.

>Before that, double click on the bucket fill item (at least it is
>a double click in Linux). There are options for the fill. Foreground,
>background and current pattern. Choose the pattern as your fill option.

>Click on the pattern sample on the main menu and choose the pattern
>you want.

>With some layer selected on your image, click the rectangle select
>item on the menu.

>Now use that to select a rectangular region.

>Now you are set.

>With the rectangular region showing its "marching ants" border
>(it is selected), click on the bucket fill item on the menu.

>Now just click in the rectangular region you have selected.

>So ... configure the bucket fill for the pattern fill you
>want. Select something using a select tool. Click on/in the
>selected region with the bucket fill tool selected as the
>action to take.

>>        I want to do this to ... learn how to use The Gimp.

>You will :-)

1. Define Pattern, the bucket fill - but HOW do I keep the original pattern size

Ok, so I create a "filled" black circle about .01cm (yes *incredibly*
small).

I then use define pattern, so I can use it in bucket fill.

Now I want to use bucket fill to fill in a new selection with my newly
defined pattern. The problem is it doesn't keep the original size - I
should have got millions of little circles (too small for the eye to
see), but when i bucket fill with my pattern, photoshop changes the
scale & I end up with about 6 massive black filled circles?

Any ideas how I can use bucket fill with my pattern & keep the
original size?

many thanks....Rob.

2. shape & texture matching?

3. Newbie Qs: Creating QTVR content

4. happy99

5. UV mapping & displacment/bump (Newbie level Qs)

6. Partitioning a 2D Concave Polygon into Convex Polygons

7. LW[6] More newbie Qs: volumetric lights cast shadows

8. Newbie Qs Re: LW and Video Toaster, LW vs 3DS

9. using fill doesn't fill everything?

10. Fill patterns required.

11. Metallic Fill Pattern?

12. Flood-fill with lasso'ed pattern