Errors running gimp 1.2.0 on Solaris 2.6

Errors running gimp 1.2.0 on Solaris 2.6

Post by Gerhard Buergman » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:15:01



I recently compiled gimp 1.2.0 on Solaris 2.6
When I try to run gimp, I get a lot of warnings, like:

Quote:> Gdk-WARNING **: shmat failed!

> Gimp-WARNING **: Failed to open palette file /usr3/bg/.gimp-1.2/palettes/Bears:
> can't happen?

> Gimp-WARNING **: Failed to open palette file /usr3/bg/.gimp-1.2/palettes/Bgold:
> can't happen?

. . .

Quote:> gimp: shmat() failed: Disabling shared memory tile transport.
> gimp: pipe() failed: Unable to start Plug-In "dbbrowser"
> (/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.2/plug-ins/dbbrowser)
> gimp: pipe() failed: Unable to start Plug-In "script-fu"
> (/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.2/plug-ins/script-fu)
> gimp: pipe() failed: Unable to start Plug-In "Perl-Server"
> (/usr/local/lib/gimp/1.2/plug-ins/Perl-Server)

. . .

Quote:> Gimp-WARNING **: module load error: /usr/local/lib/gimp/1.2/modules/libcolorsel_gtk.so:
> ld.so.1: gimp: fatal: /usr/local/lib/gimp/1.2/modules/libcolorsel_gtk.so: open failed:
> Too many open files

> Gimp-WARNING **: module load error:
> /usr/local/lib/gimp/1.2/modules/libcolorsel_triangle.so: ld.so.1: gimp: fatal:
> /usr/local/lib/gimp/1.2/modules/libcolorsel_triangle.so: open failed: Too many open files

and so on. What to do?

Thanks,
Gerhard

 
 
 

Errors running gimp 1.2.0 on Solaris 2.6

Post by Adam Ste » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:50:13




Quote:> I recently compiled gimp 1.2.0 on Solaris 2.6
> When I try to run gimp, I get a lot of warnings, like:

>> Gdk-WARNING **: shmat failed!

>> Gimp-WARNING **: Failed to open palette file /usr3/bg/.gimp-1.2/palettes/Bears:
>> can't happen?

>> Gimp-WARNING **: Failed to open palette file /usr3/bg/.gimp-1.2/palettes/Bgold:
>> can't happen?

> . . .

I have the same problem also under Solaris 2.6.  These initial problems are due
to the error of having to many files open.  It looks like all the errors
listed are due to having too many files open.  What's going on?  Does Solaris
2.6 have a default limit that is too small?

--

Disclaimer: Any/All views expressed
here have been proved to be my own.   [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]

 
 
 

Errors running gimp 1.2.0 on Solaris 2.6

Post by hun.. » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:48:35


I have the same problem in Solaris 2.7 as well. I think it is the GTK
toolkit since, I also installed bluefish and got the same problem.

Any thoughts? Any solutions?





> > I recently compiled gimp 1.2.0 on Solaris 2.6
> > When I try to run gimp, I get a lot of warnings, like:

> >> Gdk-WARNING **: shmat failed!

> >> Gimp-WARNING **: Failed to open palette file /usr3/bg/.gimp-
1.2/palettes/Bears:
> >> can't happen?

> >> Gimp-WARNING **: Failed to open palette file /usr3/bg/.gimp-
1.2/palettes/Bgold:
> >> can't happen?

> > . . .

> I have the same problem also under Solaris 2.6.  These initial
problems are due
> to the error of having to many files open.  It looks like all the
errors
> listed are due to having too many files open.  What's going on?  Does
Solaris
> 2.6 have a default limit that is too small?

> --

> Disclaimer: Any/All views expressed
> here have been proved to be my own.   [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/
 
 
 

Errors running gimp 1.2.0 on Solaris 2.6

Post by M?rten Svantess » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 23:03:08



> I have the same problem in Solaris 2.7 as well. I think it is the GTK
> toolkit since, I also installed bluefish and got the same problem.

> Any thoughts? Any solutions?

The error:

Quote:>> Gdk-WARNING **: shmat failed!

is a problem with GTK. The reason is that the defults for shared
memory in Solaris are to low.

It can be fixed by adding the following lines (or something like it)
to /etc/system

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=16777216
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=16

Quote:>> Gimp-WARNING **: Failed to open palette file
>> /usr3/bg/.gimp-1.2/palettes/Bears:
>> can't happen?

is a Gimp specific error. The guess that solaris default limit for the
number of open files is correct. (Actually it's the descriptors that
run out, descriptors are used for, among other things, pipes except for files.)

There are two limits for the number of descriptors, one soft and one
hard. The default on solaris is that only the soft limit is to low,
which means that it can be fixed. The exact command depend on
the shell. Check the manpage for limit.

In sh you could use:
ulimit -Sn 256

That gimp uses this man filedescriptors is on the other hand a bug,
which is declared fixed and won't exist in the next release.

--
                - M?rten


mobile: +46 (0)707390385  *** phone: +46 (0)8 16 62 29

 
 
 

Errors running gimp 1.2.0 on Solaris 2.6

Post by Adam Ste » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 01:07:29




Quote:>>> Gimp-WARNING **: Failed to open palette file
>>> /usr3/bg/.gimp-1.2/palettes/Bears:
>>> can't happen?

> is a Gimp specific error. The guess that solaris default limit for the
> number of open files is correct. (Actually it's the descriptors that
> run out, descriptors are used for, among other things, pipes except for files.)

> There are two limits for the number of descriptors, one soft and one
> hard. The default on solaris is that only the soft limit is to low,
> which means that it can be fixed. The exact command depend on
> the shell. Check the manpage for limit.

> In sh you could use:
> ulimit -Sn 256

> That gimp uses this man filedescriptors is on the other hand a bug,
> which is declared fixed and won't exist in the next release.

The ulimit command does indeed fix the problem (Solaris 2.6).  I've already
changed the values for the shared memory for the last release, so I personally
wasn't getting the shared memory error.

Any idea when the next release that fixes this "too many open files" bug will
be out?

--

Disclaimer: Any/All views expressed
here have been proved to be my own.   [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]

 
 
 

Errors running gimp 1.2.0 on Solaris 2.6

Post by Randy Jon » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 13:39:14





>>>> Gimp-WARNING **: Failed to open palette file
>>>> /usr3/bg/.gimp-1.2/palettes/Bears:
>>>> can't happen?

>> is a Gimp specific error. The guess that solaris default limit for the
>> number of open files is correct. (Actually it's the descriptors that
>> run out, descriptors are used for, among other things, pipes except for files.)

>> There are two limits for the number of descriptors, one soft and one
>> hard. The default on solaris is that only the soft limit is to low,
>> which means that it can be fixed. The exact command depend on
>> the shell. Check the manpage for limit.

>> In sh you could use:
>> ulimit -Sn 256

>> That gimp uses this man filedescriptors is on the other hand a bug,
>> which is declared fixed and won't exist in the next release.

> The ulimit command does indeed fix the problem (Solaris 2.6).  I've already
> changed the values for the shared memory for the last release, so I personally
> wasn't getting the shared memory error.

> Any idea when the next release that fixes this "too many open files" bug will
> be out?

I had the same problem with "too many open files" on Solaris 2.6, 7 and 8.
What I discovered is that there is a "close(fd);" line left out of the
GIMP_SOURCE_DIR/app/patterns.c file which came with the gimp-1.2.0.tar file
I downloaded from one of the ftp sites. I found this out by both trial and
error and also by comparing the source of the patterns.c as contained in
the gimp-1.2.0.tar against the patterns.c contained in cvs for gimp-1.2.0.
For some reason they are not the same???

If you edit the patterns.c file and insert a line after line number 300
that reads "close(fd);" and recompile this will fix the "too many open files"
bug.

A diff patterns.c(fixed) patterns.c(buggy) looks like:
301,302d300
<   close(fd);
<

I have also fixed the "shmat() failed" problem by adding the following lines to
/etc/system and rebooting:
* set the following for gimp
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10

----------------------------------
Randy Jones

----------------------------------

 
 
 

1. POV-ray in Solaris 2.6 x86?

Has anyone had any luck compiling POV-ray under Solaris 2.6 x86
(Intel)?  I haven't been able to, but admittedly, I'm no genius.  If
anyone has any info, let me know.

Steve Wolfe

(remove the "nospam." to reply)

2. TAnimate

3. opengl on solaris 2.6

4. games and loading word processor files into vb40 pro.

5. Gnuplot 3.7 variables , under Solaris 2.6

6. Standard for 3-D graphics?

7. Gnuplot for Solaris 2.6

8. installation problems of 3.7 on Solaris 2.6

9. Gnuplot 3.7 Installation problem on Solaris 2.6

10. Binary on SUN Solaris 2.5/2.6

11. obtaining gnuplot manual for Solaris 2.6