GIMP 1.3 build for Win32

Post by Dave Near » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:11:43

Hi all,

Anyone have a build of the GIMP 1.3 for Win32? It should be
fairly straightforward - Win32 is an official target platform for
gtk+ 2.2, and the GIMP should also have no win32 patches required
(or at the very least, the core should build OK, even if a couple
of plug-ins still don't play nice). I haven't managed it - at
least not with MingW and Cygwin. Things seem to go pearshaped
during the glib build.

If there are binaries floating about, would it be possible to get
them put up on Tor's site?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
                David Neary,
        E-Mail: bolsh at gimp dot org

GIMP 1.3 build for Win32

Post by Phil Harp » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:07:35

> Hi all,

> Anyone have a build of the GIMP 1.3 for Win32? It should be
> fairly straightforward - Win32 is an official target platform for
> gtk+ 2.2, and the GIMP should also have no win32 patches required
> (or at the very least, the core should build OK, even if a couple
> of plug-ins still don't play nice). I haven't managed it - at
> least not with MingW and Cygwin. Things seem to go pearshaped
> during the glib build.

> If there are binaries floating about, would it be possible to get
> them put up on Tor's site?

> Cheers,
> Dave.

just incase tor hasn't already replied( i HATE newsgroup delays!), i
suspect the answer is no, not under any circumstances, 1.3 is a
development version.

or something similar.

GIMP 1.3 build for Win32

Post by Dave Near » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:56:27

Phil Harper said:

>> If there are binaries floating about, would it be possible to get
>> them put up on Tor's site?

> just incase tor hasn't already replied( i HATE newsgroup delays!), i
> suspect the answer is no, not under any circumstances, 1.3 is a
> development version.

It would be nice to have a proof of concept that gimp 1.3 does in fact build
straight out of CVS for Win32. Preferably before we go into feature freeze :)

I'm guessing that any packages for windows would be clearly marked "This might
mess everything up".

Dave.

--
"This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put"
-- Winston Churchill

GIMP 1.3 build for Win32

Post by Michael Schumache » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:07:40

> Phil Harper said:

> >> If there are binaries floating about, would it be possible to get
> >> them put up on Tor's site?

> > just incase tor hasn't already replied( i HATE newsgroup delays!), i
> > suspect the answer is no, not under any circumstances, 1.3 is a
> > development version.

> It would be nice to have a proof of concept that gimp 1.3 does in fact build
> straight out of CVS for Win32. Preferably before we go into feature
> freeze :)

Looks like the hard thing isn't GIMP 1.3 itself - configure works,
compiling isn't a problem - at least, where are no errors. The trouble
starts when it comes to linking 'gimp.exe'.

It seems to be impossible to get all required libraries in
the required versions. Sure, there is GNUWin32 and Tor has linked to some
official win32 releases at gnu.org, but in the end, there are always
undefined references (something from libintl and pangoft2)

Quote:> I'm guessing that any packages for windows would be clearly marked "This might
> mess everything up".

Instead of putting up some precompiled binaries, someone should
provide a detailed description of building GIMP 1.3 on Win32 -
including a list of the _exact_ versions for each lib and where to find it.

HTH,
Michael

GIMP 1.3 build for Win32

Post by Tsu Dho Nim » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:30:59

>Hi all,

>Anyone have a build of the GIMP 1.3 for Win32? It should be
>fairly straightforward - Win32 is an official target platform for
>gtk+ 2.2, and the GIMP should also have no win32 patches required
>(or at the very least, the core should build OK, even if a couple
>of plug-ins still don't play nice). I haven't managed it - at
>least not with MingW and Cygwin. Things seem to go pearshaped
>during the glib build.

Which is why we all wait for the code to be declared stable and
the person with the magic touch to tweak it.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

GIMP 1.3 build for Win32

Post by Dave Near » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:07:18

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:30:59 -0700, Tsu Dho Nimh said:

Quote:> Which is why we all wait for the code to be declared stable and
> the person with the magic touch to tweak it.

The code is stable... if it doesn't build in Win32 now, it will
probably not build in 2 months when the next stable release
happens. It would be very nice to have Windows binaries for 1.3+
(whatever it eventually gets called) the day the main release
comes out.

Cheers,
Dave.

--

Post by Phil Harp » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 02:20:38

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:30:59 -0700, Tsu Dho Nimh said:
> > Which is why we all wait for the code to be declared stable and
> > the person with the magic touch to tweak it.

> The code is stable... if it doesn't build in Win32 now, it will
> probably not build in 2 months when the next stable release
> happens. It would be very nice to have Windows binaries for 1.3+
> (whatever it eventually gets called) the day the main release
> comes out.

> Cheers,
> Dave.

hmmm, i thought it was a development tree and therefore, by
definition, unstable, i supose GIMP-Unfinished may be a better title,
but anyway, yes, it would be very nice to have GIMP 1.4 released on
all major platforms simultaneously, has GTK2 performance on win32(c)
come up to being anywhere usable yet? (if you're not aware of a
problem go and grab a win32 build of Dia or Sodipodi and attempt to do
something usefull that would take 5 mins on X in less than an hour ;))
come to think of it, has GTK2 in general had any speed tweaks yet?
i seem to recall Tor saying that it did work on win32 but he wasn't
releasing bins, but i can't remember exactly.

GIMP 1.3 build for Win32

Post by Dave Near » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 04:10:20

On 25 Jun 2003 10:20:38 -0700, Phil Harper said:

Quote:> has GTK2 performance on win32(c)
> come up to being anywhere usable yet? (if you're not aware of a
> problem go and grab a win32 build of Dia or Sodipodi and attempt to do
> something usefull that would take 5 mins on X in less than an hour ;))

I wasn't aware of a problem - if there is one, then it would be
nice to have it looked at before we have a gimp stable build out
there...

Dave.

--

Post by Ernst Lipp » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:17:11

> hmmm, i thought it was a development tree and therefore, by
> definition, unstable, i supose GIMP-Unfinished may be a better title,
> but anyway, yes, it would be very nice to have GIMP 1.4 released on
> all major platforms simultaneously, has GTK2 performance on win32(c)
> come up to being anywhere usable yet? (if you're not aware of a
> problem go and grab a win32 build of Dia or Sodipodi and attempt to do
> something usefull that would take 5 mins on X in less than an hour ;))
> come to think of it, has GTK2 in general had any speed tweaks yet?
> i seem to recall Tor saying that it did work on win32 but he wasn't
> releasing bins, but i can't remember exactly.

There is a working version of GTK-2.2.1 on Tor's gimp download
page. I've used it to compile my plug-in.

BTW There is a bug in the spin-buttons when you are using
something else than "." for the decimal point separator
in your regional settings (most europeans will use a ",").

greetings,

Ernst Lippe