choosing crop selection

Post by hou5to » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:31:50

Trying to learn how to use GIMP, ... didn't find it in the manual ...
maybe it's just late,...but all i want to do is choose a rectangular
area of a picture.  I click on "Choose Rectangular Region" and then
using the mouse, choose a portion of the picture that i want to keep.
But then what?  Hitting Enter does nothing, and when I Right-Click and
go through the options I'm not having any luck there either.  I know
this has to be VERY simple, .... which isn't saying a lot for me
tonight.  Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
larry

choosing crop selection

Post by robert » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:14:53

2 ways

1) (The easier usually IMHO) Use the crop tool rather than the rectangular
selection tool to make the selection.  It's the 9th box on my version of
gimp.  To me it looks like an old foutain pen viewed from the side. Use
that to select the region you want to keep.

2) (Usually harder).  Use the selection tool(s) to select and area.  Note
that if your selection isn't rectangular, it will be later.  Crop only
works on rectangular selections.  Now choose the crop tool, and in the
dialog box that will pop up as soon as you make another selection, choose
from selection and the crop box will match (in a rectangular fashion; try
it with an ellipse to see what I mean) your first selection.

> Trying to learn how to use GIMP, ... didn't find it in the manual ...
> maybe it's just late,...but all i want to do is choose a rectangular
> area of a picture.  I click on "Choose Rectangular Region" and then
> using the mouse, choose a portion of the picture that i want to keep.
> But then what?
>  Hitting Enter does nothing, and when I Right-Click and go through the
> options I'm not having any luck there either.  I know this has to be
> VERY simple, .... which isn't saying a lot for me tonight.  Anyway, any
> help would be appreciated. thanks,
> larry

choosing crop selection

Post by Blinky the Shar » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:48:22

> 2 ways
> 1) (The easier usually IMHO) Use the crop tool rather than the rectangular
> selection tool to make the selection.  It's the 9th box on my version of
> gimp.  To me it looks like an old foutain pen viewed from the side. Use
> that to select the region you want to keep.

I think it's supposed to be a scalpel.  That's what I've always figured
it for, anyhow.

For OP:   Alternate - Shift-C  (here, anyway)

--
Blinky                              Linux RU 297263
Spam: The Boulder Pledge   http://snurl.com/boulder

choosing crop selection

Post by hou5to » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:54:07

> 2 ways

> 1) (The easier usually IMHO) Use the crop tool rather than the rectangular
> selection tool to make the selection.  It's the 9th box on my version of
> gimp.  To me it looks like an old foutain pen viewed from the side. Use
> that to select the region you want to keep.

Yep, that's what I was looking for.  As I suspected, right under my nose
the whole time.

thanks for helping.

choosing crop selection

Post by William Kendri » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:09:35

> 2 ways

> 1) (The easier usually IMHO) Use the crop tool rather than the rectangular
> selection tool to make the selection.  It's the 9th box on my version of
> gimp.  To me it looks like an old foutain pen viewed from the side. Use
> that to select the region you want to keep.

It's actually a little cropping tool; a knife kind of thing. ;^)

But yeah... Crop tool's the way to go, to crop an image. ;)

-bill!

--

http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill/       http://newbreedsoftware.com/tuxpaint/

1. Crop to selection

Working through some tutorials and this one has me stumped.
http://www.jasc.com/tutorials/nieuwenstein/crop2selection.asp?
I am unable to get freehand selection to be isolated with a white
background for the area outside of the crop. I keep getting a rectangle
which appears to be the maximum height and width of my selection. Anyone
know what I am doing wrong?

--
Graham Thorley

Like Art? visit         http://www.ArtByJudy.com

                       ---NO SPAM IN EFFECT---

2. Lightning ???

3. Selection a la Crop

4. Any Ray Dream 4.1 problems with OS8?

5. Crop to Selection in v7.04

6. convert monochromatic frequency to RGB values

7. 7.02 Crop to selection problem

8. Image>Crop to Selection Not Working

9. crop to selection??

10. Repeating the selection and cropping of an area

11. PSP6 Crop to selection problems