Fonts showing up in xlsfonts missing from Gimp font list

Fonts showing up in xlsfonts missing from Gimp font list

Post by Ethan Brow » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 01:04:45

I'm running Gimp on Mandrake 8.2.  There are fonts that show up when
I run xlsfonts that also show up in the font selection list in the
gnome-terminal dialog.  However, they don't show up in the Gimp
texttool fontlist.

The font in question is lucidatypwriter located in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi.

Help is appreciated, thanks

--
--Ethan Brown
--Author: WheresTheGig.com (free online band service)

Fonts showing up in xlsfonts missing from Gimp font list

Post by Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsc » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 06:37:20

Quote:

> I'm running Gimp on Mandrake 8.2.  There are fonts that show up when
> I run xlsfonts that also show up in the font selection list in the
> gnome-terminal dialog.  However, they don't show up in the Gimp
> texttool fontlist.

> The font in question is lucidatypwriter located in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi.

Maybe the checkbox "Font types: Bitmap" in the filter tab of the text tool
isn't set?

Ciao,
        Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Post by Ethan Brow » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:18:56

    >> I'm running Gimp on Mandrake 8.2.  There are fonts that show up when
    >> I run xlsfonts that also show up in the font selection list in the
    >> gnome-terminal dialog.  However, they don't show up in the Gimp
    >> texttool fontlist.
    >>
    >> The font in question is lucidatypwriter located in
    >> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi.

    Marc> Maybe the checkbox "Font types: Bitmap" in the filter tab of the text tool
    Marc> isn't set?

    Marc> Ciao,
    Marc>    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Hi Marc--

I checked the filters dialog, but only the center selection (I'm not
at my home computer now, but I think it is the 'scalable' selection)
was active.  There are three checkboxes, but the other two are not
enabled (not responsive to clicking, in technical terms :-).  All
other list (foundry, etc) selections were selected as "*".

I'm really puzzled by this.  Usually once you get X to see the fonts,
Gimp sees them too.

--Ethan

Post by Mike Davie » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 00:32:02

>     >> I'm running Gimp on Mandrake 8.2.  There are fonts that show up
>     >> when I run xlsfonts that also show up in the font selection list in
>     >> the
>     >> gnome-terminal dialog.  However, they don't show up in the Gimp
>     >> texttool fontlist.

>     >> The font in question is lucidatypwriter located in
>     >> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi.

>     Marc> Maybe the checkbox "Font types: Bitmap" in the filter tab of the
>     text tool Marc> isn't set?

>     Marc> Ciao,
>     Marc>     Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

> Hi Marc--

> I checked the filters dialog, but only the center selection (I'm not
> at my home computer now, but I think it is the 'scalable' selection)
> was active.  There are three checkboxes, but the other two are not
> enabled (not responsive to clicking, in technical terms :-).  All
> other list (foundry, etc) selections were selected as "*".

> I'm really puzzled by this.  Usually once you get X to see the fonts,
> Gimp sees them too.

> --Ethan

I am having problems with GIMP not recognising fonts as well. I too am
using ML8.2 and GIMP 1.2.3. I have a lot of TrueType fonts in a directory
/home/mike/.fonts/ which are recognised by all other applications, eg OOo,
KDE, etc but not by GIMP.
I have checked Virtual Quickstart Guide 'The GIMP for Linux & Unix', and
various FAQs from the GIMP web site but things are no clearer.
Can anyone help. I know this appears to be a common problem for new GIMP
users.

Fonts showing up in xlsfonts missing from Gimp font list

Post by Karl and Tanya Pizzolat » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 01:32:02

Quote:> Maybe the checkbox "Font types: Bitmap" in the filter tab of the text tool
> isn't set?

> Ciao,
>    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

OK, I have a really stupid noob question as I'm having a similar
problem:

How do you get to the "filter" tab of the text tool config options?

I double-clicked on the text tool, and the tool options dialog came
up.  But there were no font types filter checkboxes, and no tabs.
Most notably, "use dynamic text" option was there.  Is that the
correct place to look for these options?  I also went through all the
gimp configuration general options (screen scaling, undo depth, etc.
but didn't find the text tool filters.

I am using gimp-1.2 in slackware 9.0.

BTW, the fonts I'm missing are some Adobe Type1 fonts I installed
using KDE's font manager.  Pan (which uses gtk+2.x) sees them just
fine, but I don't know if that really has anything to do with gimp-1.2
seeing them.

Thanks,

Karl Pizzolatto.

Post by Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsc » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 05:03:08

> How do you get to the "filter" tab of the text tool config options?

> I double-clicked on the text tool, and the tool options dialog came up.
> But there were no font types filter checkboxes, and no tabs. Most
> notably, "use dynamic text" option was there.  Is that the correct place
> to look for these options?  I also went through all the gimp
> configuration general options (screen scaling, undo depth, etc. but
> didn't find the text tool filters.

Just choose the text tool and click where you want the text to appear.
Then you'll get a dialog where you choose the font and enter the text.
This dialog has three tabs. The rightmost is named "Filter".

Ciao,
        Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Post by Philippe Grassi » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:43:00

>>     >> I'm running Gimp on Mandrake 8.2.  There are fonts that show up
>>     >> when I run xlsfonts that also show up in the font selection list
>>     >> in the
>>     >> gnome-terminal dialog.  However, they don't show up in the Gimp
>>     >> texttool fontlist.

>>     >> The font in question is lucidatypwriter located in
>>     >> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi.

> I am having problems with GIMP not recognising fonts as well. I too am
> using ML8.2 and GIMP 1.2.3. I have a lot of TrueType fonts in a directory
> /home/mike/.fonts/ which are recognised by all other applications, eg OOo,
> KDE, etc but not by GIMP.
> I have checked Virtual Quickstart Guide 'The GIMP for Linux & Unix', and
> various FAQs from the GIMP web site but things are no clearer.
> Can anyone help. I know this appears to be a common problem for new GIMP
> users.

Hello,
I am interrested in your question.
Did any of you get any answer to the font problem in The GIMP ? I am running
Mandrake 9.1 (The GIMP 1.2.3). Fonts work under KDE and other programs but
not for most of them under The GIMP.
I would appreciate help.
Many thanks
Philippe

Post by Mike Davie » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 03:35:53

>>>     >> I'm running Gimp on Mandrake 8.2.  There are fonts that show up
>>>     >> when I run xlsfonts that also show up in the font selection list
>>>     >> in the
>>>     >> gnome-terminal dialog.  However, they don't show up in the Gimp
>>>     >> texttool fontlist.

>>>     >> The font in question is lucidatypwriter located in
>>>     >> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi.

>> I am having problems with GIMP not recognising fonts as well. I too am
>> using ML8.2 and GIMP 1.2.3. I have a lot of TrueType fonts in a directory
>> /home/mike/.fonts/ which are recognised by all other applications, eg
>> OOo, KDE, etc but not by GIMP.
>> I have checked Virtual Quickstart Guide 'The GIMP for Linux & Unix', and
>> various FAQs from the GIMP web site but things are no clearer.
>> Can anyone help. I know this appears to be a common problem for new GIMP
>> users.

> Hello,
> I am interrested in your question.
> Did any of you get any answer to the font problem in The GIMP ? I am
> running Mandrake 9.1 (The GIMP 1.2.3). Fonts work under KDE and other
> programs but not for most of them under The GIMP.
> I would appreciate help.
> Many thanks
> Philippe

Looking thru' this newsgroup, the question of fonts appears to be a common
problem but as far as I can see there haven't been any answers.

Post by Karl and Tanya Pizzolat » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 00:13:03

> > How do you get to the "filter" tab of the text tool config options?

> Just choose the text tool and click where you want the text to appear.
> Then you'll get a dialog where you choose the font and enter the text.
> This dialog has three tabs. The rightmost is named "Filter".

> Ciao,
>    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Thanks,

I tried that over the weekend and it didn't work.  However my system
has both gtk+-1 and gtk+-2 installed.  When I removepkg gtk+-2, I see
the dialog.

Still can't get my fonts, though.

Solution:  Build and install gimp-1.3.14.  Works great!

1. Fonts not showing up in Gimp text font dialog

There are fonts that show up when I run xlsfonts, and also show up
in my gnome-terminal font selection dialog that don't show up in
my Gimp texttool font dialog.  Any ideas?

The particular font in question is lucidatypwriter located in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi

My platform is Mandrake 8.2 on x86.

Help is appreciated,

--Ethan

2. trying- don't read

3. Announce: Font Fetch for QXP Opens Missing Fonts!

4. Zooming a 3D Scene

5. Fonts not showing up in list

6. KPT on Powermac?

7. Some hard-to-find font problems solved - but still some font ID missing

8. 3D fonts, 3D fonts from 2D fonts, common fonts data

9. Removing deleted fonts from the font list in PM6.5

10. fonts FONTS fonts

11. fonts fonts fonts!

12. Shrinking bitmapped fonts (TeX PK font files to Sun font files)