Gimp FITS images violate FITS standard

Post by Marc Pou » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

The Flexible Image Transport System (FITS) is an image format
invented by and primarily used by astronomers.  One of the founding
principles of the format is that all records must be 2880 bytes long.
(2880 is divisible by both the byte and word lengths of all computers
available at the time the standard was proposed: 6,8,12,16,18,24,32,36,48,60 and 64.)
Thus a file size should be divisible by 2880.  I just saved a JPG as
FITS using gimp 1.1.9 and the file size is 1175580 bytes.  This violates
the FITS standard! Granted, most FITS readers will let this slip by
with no ill-effects. But, the data should be padded with zeroes to
fill out the record.

The original paper describing FITS may be found at:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=1981A%26AS......

More current information on the FITS standard may be found at:
http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/astro/fits/fits_home.html and http://www.cv.nrao.edu/fits

Marc Pound
Astronomy Dept
University of Maryland, College Park

1. Gimp FITS violates FITS standard.

Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gimp
Subject: Gimp FITS images violate FITS standard
[...]

2. How do I import Lightwave motion data?

3. Beizer curve fitting/ B-spline Fitting

4. Fonts

5. weighted fitting - standard deviation vs. variance

6. Answer : Gradient Title Bar in Win95/NT

7. Fitting text to a curve // GIMP 1.1.25

8. PNG standard may violate patent!

9. warping and image fitting

10. scaling image map to fit

11. POVRAY: Fitting image size and object extensions?

12. Warping and image fitting