Tool for tile creation?

Post by Michael Schumache » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 23:10:52

> Hi there

> I am looking for a tool that allows the part of an object that is
> dragged outside the border of an image to appear in the opposite edge
> so that it facilitates easy creation of tiled backgrounds for
> webpages. Have you heard of this in GIMP or know where I should look?

This is what you're looking for:
http://www.gimp.org/tut-patt1.html

HTH,
Michael

Tool for tile creation?

Post by Osca » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 05:08:05

Michael,

It looks interesting, but the tutorial tells the user to NOT TOUCH THE
BORDER when drawing.

What I want to do, is for example to have an object in a layer, and be
able to move it around. When it exits the edge I want the part of the
object that does so to appear in the opposite edge. I still want to be
able to play around with the object. This would be the best way to do
it for a designer.

I am used to PhotoShop, and I am installing GIMP only because it is
programmable and has a lot of features, because I want this feature.
The tutorial is talking about offsetting, and I assume that is a
function, like crop. Will it work on any image?

Oscar

Tool for tile creation?

Post by Phil Harp » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 06:17:49

> Hi there

> I am looking for a tool that allows the part of an object that is
> dragged outside the border of an image to appear in the opposite edge
> so that it facilitates easy creation of tiled backgrounds for
> webpages. Have you heard of this in GIMP or know where I should look?

> Oscar

if you dont want to bother with the tutorial play with <image> - image
- transforms - offset
and click the offset by 2 button.

of use <image> - filters - map - make seamless

Tool for tile creation?

Post by Uni » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 14:16:18

>>Hi there

>>I am looking for a tool that allows the part of an object that is
>>dragged outside the border of an image to appear in the opposite edge
>>so that it facilitates easy creation of tiled backgrounds for
>>webpages. Have you heard of this in GIMP or know where I should look?

> This is what you're looking for:
> http://www.gimp.org/tut-patt1.html

That's an impressive tutorial.

Thanks!

Uni

Quote:

> HTH,
> Michael

Tool for tile creation?

Post by Osca » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 01:48:35

Not trying to seem too rude or arrogant here, this seems like the
perfect function for making ugly 1996-style programmer-style tile
patterns.

For a designer it is better to be able to drag them around, play with
them on layers, and use some kind of live-tool for doing this. Are you
sure this can be used on all images?

What I want to create is a BIG gif, let us say 1500x400. The
horizontal compability would be most important.

Oscar

> > Hi there

> > I am looking for a tool that allows the part of an object that is
> > dragged outside the border of an image to appear in the opposite edge
> > so that it facilitates easy creation of tiled backgrounds for
> > webpages. Have you heard of this in GIMP or know where I should look?

> > Oscar

> if you dont want to bother with the tutorial play with <image> - image
> - transforms - offset
> and click the offset by 2 button.

> of use <image> - filters - map - make seamless

Tool for tile creation?

Post by Phil Harp » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 21:39:14

no, you cant drag, but play with setting the offset manually, once
you've worked out how large an offeset you need the tool is almost as
good as a draggy droppy one.
the offset by 2 button is only good if you want to split directly to
the edges.

> Not trying to seem too rude or arrogant here, this seems like the
> perfect function for making ugly 1996-style programmer-style tile
> patterns.

> For a designer it is better to be able to drag them around, play with
> them on layers, and use some kind of live-tool for doing this. Are you
> sure this can be used on all images?

> What I want to create is a BIG gif, let us say 1500x400. The
> horizontal compability would be most important.

> Oscar

> > > Hi there

> > > I am looking for a tool that allows the part of an object that is
> > > dragged outside the border of an image to appear in the opposite edge
> > > so that it facilitates easy creation of tiled backgrounds for
> > > webpages. Have you heard of this in GIMP or know where I should look?

> > > Oscar

> > if you dont want to bother with the tutorial play with <image> - image
> > - transforms - offset
> > and click the offset by 2 button.

> > of use <image> - filters - map - make seamless

Tool for tile creation?

Post by Alessandr » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 06:35:16

Tutorial for seamless tile, but in italian language, at link
http://space.tin.it/edicola/lwcon/gimp/tutorial/pattern-seamless.htm
http://space.tin.it/edicola/lwcon/gimp/tutorial/make-patterns.htm

Alexander

1. Sprite creation tools to replace Media Architects tools

Can anyone suggest a set of tools for creating sprites for irregular button
creation similar to Media Architects tools. They were great but they went
out of business a few years ago and I need a good replacement any
suggestions.

Ed

2. original VIDEOBLASTER under win 95.

3. tile creation program

4. I'll Trade 3D Studio R4 for Inspire

5. Tile creation ?

6. Leveller Erode plug-in 200% faster

7. Fast tile creation

8. Rough Edges

9. Shrimp - Free Shader Creation Tool for Linux/*nix

10. REQ : GIF creation tool

11. tools for animation graph creation

12. MPEG or FLI creation tool for Unix

13. tools for animation graph creation