run gimp-plugins without X-Server?

Post by Yves Klet » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 01:12:07

Hi to everyone,

is it possible to run a perl-gimp-script without a running X-Server? Im
using gimp1.2 under Linux (SuSE 8.0). I wrote a little ugly script to
automatically (non-interactively) add some text (time&date) to some
*-snapshots via cron. This works fine (from the console), but only if I
have X up running and if the user running the script has access to the
current display.

It would be nice if I could invoke the script without X, because different
users can log onto this machine and this certainly confuses the process.

I am very new to scripting with gimp (uhm, I started yesterday :-) , so
please forgive me if Im getting the whole thing wrong. Any help is greatly
appreciated,

Yves

run gimp-plugins without X-Server?

Post by Michael Spun » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 05:59:27

Hi Yves!

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 18:12:07 +0200

> It would be nice if I could invoke the script without X, because
> different users can log onto this machine and this certainly confuses
> the process.

What you need is Xfvb (X Virtual Framebuffer) which is usually part of
XFree86. Perhaps this is of any help for you:
http://gug.sunsite.dk/tutorials/tomcat17/

CU, Michael

--

--=[ http://www.technoidone.de/ ]=--

Post by Michael Soibelma » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 13:46:09

> Hi Yves!

> On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 18:12:07 +0200

>> It would be nice if I could invoke the script without X, because
>> different users can log onto this machine and this certainly confuses
>> the process.

> What you need is Xfvb (X Virtual Framebuffer) which is usually part of
> XFree86. Perhaps this is of any help for you:
> http://gug.sunsite.dk/tutorials/tomcat17/

> CU, Michael

Isn't that  Xvfb?

run gimp-plugins without X-Server?

Post by Yves Klet » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 20:27:45

Hi,

and thanks!

The solution with xvfb work just fine (only had to find that xvfb
first - it is in the xextra package of SusE 8.0). When using a perl-script
instead of
invoking "gimp -b ..." I had to export the display of xvfb first, but that
was it.

BTW, is it normal that the script takes much longer to execute under xvfb
than under a "real" X-Server? Is there some kind of tweak here?

Anyway, thank you very much,
Yves

> > Hi Yves!

> > On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 18:12:07 +0200

> >> It would be nice if I could invoke the script without X, because
> >> different users can log onto this machine and this certainly confuses
> >> the process.

> > What you need is Xfvb (X Virtual Framebuffer) which is usually part of
> > XFree86. Perhaps this is of any help for you:
> > http://gug.sunsite.dk/tutorials/tomcat17/

> > CU, Michael

> Isn't that  Xvfb?

1. Gimp without X-server

hi,
excuse me because i'm not good in english !

my problem is !

i will lunch script perl to manipulate gimp and
generate a jpg image wthout having an X
environnement.

for this i have :
   -lunch perl-server,
   - virtual X (Xvfb)
   - and Gimp wich can't be lunch :o( it generate
this error message : Glib-CRITICAL **: file
gash.c: line 138 (g_hash_table_lookup): assertion
'hash_table != NULL' failed.

** ERROR **: could not find handler for message:
5.

tank you for your help and ui any one have another
idea to lunch a script perl-fu without having an x
environnement will be the wellcome.

bye, Fethi.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Toy Story 2 DVD

3. gimp without x-server?

4. live charts

5. Starting Perl-Server without starting Gimp

6. POV Ray Trace

7. Xserver runs out of logical swap space

8. What do you think of my truespace images?

9. Running OpenInventor apps through an XServer

10. OpenGL without X server?

11. : Rendering to a file, without an X-server

12. Gimp Server Extensions

13. GIMP Artist Needed For Server Side Programming