Newbie Question about font

Post by Talon Kaard » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I've just got linux and i'm trying to get a hold of gimp but i'm having a
hard time installing fonts, can TrueType font for windows work with gimp??
if yes how??  So if anyone can explain how to install fonts for gimp i would
really appreciate.

Best regards

Talon Kaarde

Newbie Question about font

Post by Nicolas Boutho » Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>I've just got linux and i'm trying to get a hold of gimp but i'm having a
>hard time installing fonts, can TrueType font for windows work with gimp??
>if yes how??  So if anyone can explain how to install fonts for gimp i would
>really appreciate.

1) Fonts fr X-Window

   First get the fonts. ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/fonts holds two packages
   of fonts (one free, one shareware) that are lovely :-) Then unpack
   the fonts in the apropriate directory (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts for
   redhat). Next step, use mkfontdir in the dir where you unpacked the
   fonts to make an index of fonts contained in tis dir. Last, use
   command 'xset fp+ /my/path/to/fonts' to make X aware of new fonts
   available. Restarting gimp after that helps too :-)

2) Fonts for windows.

    Eventhough ttf are not realy designed to go along with Xwindow, it's
    possible to use them with a little trick.  What you need to do is to
    settle a ttf fonts server on your machine (or one of your network at
    your option). This little program will make the fonts available on
    request through a network connection at any time for X-Window. "At
    home it works" (tm). I use xttfsrv.

Hoping this helps.
   Nico

--
Nicolas Bouthors - CISV France NJR - www.efrei.fr/~bouthors/contact.html

Newbie Question about font

Post by Phisc » Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Windows TT fonts-

If you have RedHat 6, the ability to use windows true type fonts is built
in, you just need to enable it.

Post by Tor Lillqvis » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I seem to have trouble getting smooth fonts and smooth bumpmaps with
> true types under win 95 even with anti alias. Under Linux some of the
> fonts seem to scale and bump very smoothly.

I don't know if this posting is relevant to you, but it might be
interesting as background information about GIMP's text tool on Windows:

Currently in the GTK font selector (which the GIMP's text tool uses) the
preview field displays the text as smoothed automatically by the MS font
machinery. (Assuming you have installed the font smoothing add-on to
Win95. I think it is included by default in Win98, and certainly in
Win2000.) If you zoom in the preview field with spyxx or some similar
display tool (X11 users: think "xmag") you will notice this smoothing
works quite nicely.

However, the actual text that the GIMP uses after you click OK is
anti-aliased (smoothed) "manually" by the GIMP (this code is the same
both on X11 and Windows) by simply rendering the text at 3 times the
desired pixel dimensions, and averaging each destination pixel from 3*3
rendered pixels. The result is not nearly as good. (This is not
pro-Windows propaganda, it's just natural, as Windows has access to all
the hints and stuff for the font. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.)

I have considered to skip this "manual" anti-aliasing for Windows, and
simply use the better anti-aliasing that Windows already does. To work
well also on those machines where the MS font smoothing isn't installed
or turned off, probably the code should check whether the preview
contains any grey pixels before skipping its own anti-aliasing.

Quote:> PS: Tor is my hero for porting that critter to W95 !

(blushing) thanks.

--tml