DOSBS on PBX?

Post by Barton F. Bru » Mon, 01 Jul 1996 04:00:00

MITEL's digital PBX phones are ISDN at heart, but does Mitel
provide any support for random ISDN TAs on station ports
or does one have to buy a better PBX elsewhere.

I am specifically interested in using a SX200D that has a T1
from telco. NO I don't want to pay MITEL to make it a LITE
system and then pay for their $7500 LITE PRI box only to
be ripped off BUSINESS MESSAGE UNITS from home for telecommuting,
I just want to dial in in "VOICE BEARER" mode and come in on a
normal T1 from the CO and into BRI connected TAs on the back side
of the PBX.

Seems a shame to have to buy a pile of BRIs for telecommuters when
T1 to the CO is so handy.

What brand of PBX makes this cheap and easy?

DOSBS on PBX?

Post by Bill Garfie » Mon, 01 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>MITEL's digital PBX phones are ISDN at heart, but does Mitel
>provide any support for random ISDN TAs on station ports
>or does one have to buy a better PBX elsewhere.

MITEL's digital PBX phones are -not- compliant with ISDN (2B1Q)
encoding. Yes, they are full digital over a single pair, and yes,
their inter-machine (MSDN) trunks use a mutation of 23B+D but
it's not ISDN.

Quote:>I am specifically interested in using a SX200D that has a T1
>from telco. NO I don't want to pay MITEL to make it a LITE
>system and then pay for their $7500 LITE PRI box only to
>be ripped off BUSINESS MESSAGE UNITS from home for telecommuting,
>I just want to dial in in "VOICE BEARER" mode and come in on a
>normal T1 from the CO and into BRI connected TAs on the back side
>of the PBX.

>Seems a shame to have to buy a pile of BRIs for telecommuters when
>T1 to the CO is so handy.

A conventional channelized T1 can only carry 8 BRIs providing a total of
16 bearer channels and 8 data (D) channels.

A PRI line, though delivered over what might at first seem to be the
same 1.544 Mbps facility, is 23B+D with 23 bearers and a single
-composite- data channel.

My 12-year-old explained it best:  "It's the same but it's different."

Quote:>What brand of PBX makes this cheap and easy?

When you find one, let us know.

| Ever since I was a young boy I've played the silver ball; |
| From Soho down to Brighton, I must have played them all;  |
| But I ain't seen nothing like him in any amu*t hall;  |
| That deaf, dumb and blind kid sure plays a mean pin ball. |

DOSBS on PBX?

Post by Fred R. Goldste » Wed, 03 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am specifically interested in using a SX200D that has a T1
>from telco. NO I don't want to pay MITEL to make it a LITE
>system and then pay for their $7500 LITE PRI box only to
>be ripped off BUSINESS MESSAGE UNITS from home for telecommuting,
>I just want to dial in in "VOICE BEARER" mode and come in on a
>normal T1 from the CO and into BRI connected TAs on the back side
>of the PBX.

Ten years ago somebody at Mitel told me the industry's dirty little
(not so) secret -- they don't build BRI sets because  they want to
lock you in via proprietary desktop sets.

Anyway, all you need is an "R-interface" data system.  Take a router
with 56k sync serial ports, for instance, and  hook them to the 56k
sync serial applique that most PBXs have.  Make a DOSBS call into a
DID T1 trunk and it'll come out of the applique at 56 kbps.

I did this for a while.  I used DOSBS (Gandalf) into an ISDN CO to
call a non-ISDN CO into a non-ISDN SL-100 PBX with a Datapath (56k)
unit on it; that fed a Gandalf 56k bridge port.  It even worked between
PBXs over T1 trunks, using call forwarding!

Now if that isn't a good use of DOSBS that *isn't* just a tariff hack,
then what is?
--

Opinions are mine alone; sharing requires permission.

DOSBS on PBX?

Post by Alex Hardist » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> ... Ten years ago somebody at Mitel told me the industry's dirty little
> (not so) secret -- they don't build BRI sets because  they want to
> lock you in via proprietary desktop sets.

They should also have told you BRI sets end up more expensive with less
functionality? -- Anyway, 10 years ago, there was not much to connect a BRI
set too!

--

PQM Consultants
Chepstow, UK  tel +44 1291 626 180 / fax +44 1291 626 190