Wi-Fi 'Hot Spots' Allow Laptop, PDA User to be Covertly Tracked

Wi-Fi 'Hot Spots' Allow Laptop, PDA User to be Covertly Tracked

Post by Monty Solomo » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 04:11:14

By Simson L. Garfinkel
Special to The Seattle Times

If you have one of those fancy new wireless Wi-Fi or 802.11(b) cards
in your laptop or handheld computer, you probably know about the
increasing number of "Wi-Fi hot spots" where you can get wireless
Internet access -- often without paying.

What you may not know, experts warn, is that these hot spots can also
use your wireless card to track your movements as you walk around.
Meanwhile, other people using the same hot spots can covertly monitor
all of the information that you send over the air.

<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134462403_bt...>

1. Wi-fi, How to Keep Disk From Fragmenting With Always on Wi-fi

I have my laptop connected to a home wi-fi network which is 'always on'
connected to cable modem.

Find that my hd is active quite a lot, even while screen is in auto
dark mode, when laptop is not actively being used.

Usually have email and web browser open even while pc is in 'sleep
mode'.

Do I need to close my web browser to keep HD from spinning
occassionally, while machine 'asleep'?

Hate to have to turn machine off to prevent frequent fragmentation.

TIA,

tom

2. PRB: Connecting with SMS Admin on NT Workstation

3. Paris-Wide Wireless Internet Hotspot 'Wi-Fi' Pilot Launched

4. Is your composer running slow?

5. 'Wi-Fi' Gives Cell Carriers Static

6. Connecting win98 to W2kPro

7. Forget Tin Cans, These Gizmos Improve Wi-Fi Trouble Spots

8. Speak Easy Module ?

9. Wi-Fi Internet Access Is Hot, But Profit Potential Is Tepid

10. Wi-Fi's Broken Promise

11. Apple: There's no "a" in Wi-Fi

12. Where Hi-Fi Meets Wi-Fi: A Wireless Music System

13. Wi-Fi Users Warned of Pirates