Using Sprint's FONLINE 800 service in the residence

Using Sprint's FONLINE 800 service in the residence

Post by Bill Cer » Thu, 02 Aug 1990 14:19:00

I've had Sprint's 800 service in my home since April, and I'm
pleasantly surprised that both the service and the billing has been
flawless to date (a sudden triple knock on the wooden desk).  At first,
the folks at the national sales center (1-800-mumble) refused to allow
me to order "residential" 800 service, but that was back in February
when FONLINE 800 orders were gushing in.  The two-step solution was to
go thru my regional Sprint sales office, and operate a business from my
home.  In February, as now (thru Sep 30), the installation charges are
waived (save $50).  The monthly is $10, and Canadian service is
available for an add'l monthly charge.  So far, my usage has been 100
to 250 minutes per month, for an average of .17/min (the majority being
evening & night calls, from the West Coast).  My favorite feature is
the billing detail: if the call originated in an equal access office,
you get the full 10d of the party that called you.  Sort of a time
delayed Calling Line ID.  8-)

I've been keeping track of other "residential" 800 service offerings,
but Sprint still has the highest "fun factor," IMHO.
--
Bill Cerny

1. C & W 800 Service vs. Sprint 800 Service

Sprint:  800 877 4646
Signup fee: Was $0 for a while.  I think you can talk them into
waiving the 'official' signup fee if you try.  Say some nasty stuff
about ATT and maybe they'll give you a break! :)

Sprint monthly fee: $10 /month Sprint bills in six second increments.
What about C&W?  It's nice to be able to check voice mail from
anywhere in the US for one cent!  (Of course, it's more if there are
messages for me.)

This is a neat feature.  Sprint doesn't have anything similar, as far
as I know.

It's not that impressive.  The Sprint service reps can do the same
thing, but I'm not sure how quick they are about changing the POTS
number that the 800 number rings in to.  I have call forwarding on my
POTs number and use that to control where the 800 number rings.

(I don't know if phones in Alaska and Hawaii can connect to my 800 #.)

eli

2. Visualization and Creativity

3. Sprint 800 Service

4. Strangeness in switch-to-other-buffer

5. MCI and Sprint Pitch 800 Service to Households

6. NFS for IRIX 5.3 and 6.2

7. OS/2 Application Gripes

8. Sprint Personal 800, Using SSN

9. Sprint's Answer to ATT USA Direct / International 800

10. A New 'Follow Me' 800 Service is Available

11. 800 Wrong Number to Private Residence

12. Pin 800 Numbers (was Re: MCI One Breaks its 800 Number Service)