Caller ID box that lets me block "Out of Area" calls?

Caller ID box that lets me block "Out of Area" calls?

Post by BugSweep » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 09:46:11

What caller ID box let's me block "Out of area" calls? I've seen boxes that let
you add numbers to a block list or that let you block anonymous calls. What I
want to block is the "Unavailable" or "Out of Area" calls. These are *always*
telemerketers. My friend said radio shack makes a box that does this, but I
checked and they don't stock this item anymore.
--
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

Post by Andy Ye » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 03:29:26

> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
> Subject: Caller ID box that lets me block "Out of Area" calls?
> What caller ID box let's me block "Out of area" calls? I've seen boxes
that let
> you add numbers to a block list or that let you block anonymous calls.
What I
> want to block is the "Unavailable" or "Out of Area" calls. These are
*always*
> telemerketers. My friend said radio shack makes a box that does this, but
>checked and they don't stock this item anymore.

Are you sure that ONLY telemarketers return the "Out of area" display?
--

Post by Hudson Leight » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 04:53:23

> Are you sure that ONLY telemarketers return the "Out of area" display?
> --
> The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

When one of my customers a local newspaper calls, I get "out of area"
and they are 15 blocks away :).

They get their local service from somebody other then Qwest, McLeod?

Nobody I have talked to at the paper knows why they are "out of area"
and it has caused problems for employees that have some sort of
"call rejection" on their home phones, who are calling home from work.

-Hudson

--
http://www.skypoint.com/~hudsonl
--
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

Caller ID box that lets me block "Out of Area" calls?

Post by Wes Leatheroc » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 05:58:45

Quote:> What caller ID box let's me block "Out of area" calls? I've seen boxes that let
> you add numbers to a block list or that let you block anonymous calls. What I
> want to block is the "Unavailable" or "Out of Area" calls. These are *always*
> telemerketers. My friend said radio shack makes a box that does this, but I
> checked and they don't stock this item anymore.

    While most "out of area" calls are telemarketers, some
of them come in from businesses or individuals I do business
with and if they were all blocked I would lose some important
calls, as well as the occasional personal call that comes in
with that lack of identification.

Wes Leatherock

--
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

1. Is "Call Waiting Caller ID" Different Than "Caller ID"?

CWID is supported by the V.92 protocol.

The "problem" I see in what you're trying to do is that the modem will
only pick up the CWID info while it it is off hook.

So, If you have broadband access to the 'net, and just want to use
your modem to act as a call-logger (incoming calls only), it will only
log "first calls", NOT calls coming in while you're already on the
phone.

I have a USR Courier V.Everything ... and I'm waiting fo the V.92
upgrade from their web site.

I think what you really need is something like a telephony card like a
Brooktrout or something like that.

Don Russell

2. Job opportunity at Sun Microsystems in Milpitas, CA

3. mac compression

4. Quick + dirty Motorola S record downloader ?

5. Easy way to block "out of area" callers ?

6. internet express, anyone hear of them?

7. GTE sends "blocked" Caller ID

8. Caller ID reports "Out of Area" ?

9. Q about using "Call Waiting ID" & Box when I'm online

10. Meridian 1 Blocking Calling-Line ID ("*67") on Analog Trunks

11. Which octets are "PAP ID" and "CHAP ID"