Encryption Help Needed

Post by edd586y.. » Wed, 04 Mar 1992 11:27:56

I have a presentation to do on DATA ENCRPITION for the third year of my
computing course.

If anyone can give me any infomation, or even example programs ... I
would probably think you're god!

Thanks in advance.

Jase

Encryption Help Needed

Post by Monty Solomo » Fri, 06 Mar 1992 01:53:27

> I have a presentation to do on DATA ENCRPITION for the third year of my
> computing course.
> If anyone can give me any infomation, or even example programs ... I
> would probably think you're god!

Encryption software is considered an export-controlled technology by
the U.S.  Commerce and State Departments and is restricted from being
distributed outside of the U.S.

1. Encryption Help Needed

       Wrong.  Some European countries do require something like that,
but not the US.  You can buy crypto boxes in the US and use them as
much as you like.  You just can't export them.  There was an attempt
to enact something like that last year in Senate Bill 266, but,
pressured by the computer community, Congress refused to enact it.

       Wrong.  There are penalties associated with intercepting
certain types of radio communications in the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act, but this is not related to encryption.

       Wrong.  Recent developments in differential cryptanalysis have
shown, much to the suprise of many people in the field, that when NSA
modified IBM's Lucifer into DES, they made it stronger.  A technique
has been discovered that will crack Lucifer, but not DES.  This has
been discussed extensively in sci.crypt.

       Breaking DES by brute force with a supercomputer is not yet
feasible, although building special-purpose hardware to do the job is
quite practical if you have a few million to throw at the problem.

John Nagle

2. Form opens up to middle of itself, not the top

3. ISDN router 2nd router on LAN

4. Need encryption modem

5. OS/2 Newsgroup Reader for CIS

6. Need in-line encryption devices or "security modems"

7. Networking

8. ISDN Encryption Device Needed

9. Need Work Cited on Encryption Method for ISDN

10. Need encryption box: ether->ether, and routable over IP

11. Help with Cisco 11.2 Encryption

12. Terminal pgm src wanted/Online encryption help