Wi-Fi's Broken Promise

Post by Monty Solomo » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:49:24

So far, its vision for the future has remained so-so.

BY TOM KRAZIT, IDG NEWS SERVICE

IF THE HYPE IS to be believed, the widespread adoption of the wireless
Internet will change the way PCs, handhelds and websites are sold, and
will alter how computer users live, work and play.

What's interesting is that the hype persists. Maybe it's the lack of
much else to cheer about in IT these days. Vendors are offering a
future vision of "hot spots" everywhere so that home computer users
move unencumbered from room to room while mobile workers can keep
plugging away from airports, restaurants and, according to Intel's
latest marketing blitz, football stadiums and swimming pools.
But even members of the Wi-Fi Alliance, a nonprofit consortium of
vendors involved in the wireless market, acknowledge that obstacles
must be cleared before wireless networking becomes part of the
mainstream corporation's IT budget, or part of a consumer's monthly
communications bill.

What's the Problem?

http://www.darwinmag.com/read/040103/wifi.html

Wi-Fi's Broken Promise

Post by d.. » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 08:54:14

> So far, its vision for the future has remained so-so.
> BY TOM KRAZIT, IDG NEWS SERVICE
> IF THE HYPE IS to be believed, the widespread adoption of the wireless
> Internet will change the way PCs, handhelds and websites are sold, and
> will alter how computer users live, work and play.

Has this guy not looked around?  The reason that the commercial
rollout of hot spots is so slow is because no one wants to pay for
what they can get for free.

When I moved recently, I had a delay in getting DSL hooked up at my
house.  I just drove around the block, and found 10-15 Wireless
networks, a couple of them with strong enough signal to connect from
my upstairs bedroom.

I think the pay per minute services will eventually fail, except in
captive markets like airports.  Other than that, I expect pay listing
services to thrive, and more and more places like MacDonalds to
appear, where a paying customer is entitled to free internet access
for a while, kind of like validated parking.

I don't expect to pay $39.95 a month for an occasional connection to a
Starbucks coffee shop, when I already have DSL at home.

Wireless might get tacked on as a service from your regular ISP, the
way dialup is today.

1. Wi-fi, How to Keep Disk From Fragmenting With Always on Wi-fi

I have my laptop connected to a home wi-fi network which is 'always on'
connected to cable modem.

Find that my hd is active quite a lot, even while screen is in auto
dark mode, when laptop is not actively being used.

Usually have email and web browser open even while pc is in 'sleep
mode'.

Do I need to close my web browser to keep HD from spinning
occassionally, while machine 'asleep'?

Hate to have to turn machine off to prevent frequent fragmentation.

TIA,

tom

2. MRTG & Cisoc Ports

3. Paris-Wide Wireless Internet Hotspot 'Wi-Fi' Pilot Launched

4. Maxtor Drive

5. Wi-Fi 'Hot Spots' Allow Laptop, PDA User to be Covertly Tracked

6. World Wide Free Internet Access .

7. 'Wi-Fi' Gives Cell Carriers Static

8. Introducing New Product

9. Where Hi-Fi Meets Wi-Fi: A Wireless Music System

10. Apple: There's no "a" in Wi-Fi

11. Wi share Wi-Fi?

12. Roaming, on Wi-Fi networks -- makes no sense~?