Need info on SP-1 switches

Post by Roger Gervai » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:16:18

Does any one out there have any info on SP-1 central office switches. I am
doing a study on the Canadian Telecommunication System and have encountered
deployment of these switches in most Canadian provinces.

--
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

Need info on SP-1 switches

Post by John McHarr » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:04:57

> Does any one out there have any info on SP-1 central office switches. I am
> doing a study on the Canadian Telecommunication System and have
> encountered deployment of these switches in most Canadian provinces.

> --
> The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

I believe the SP-1 was a computer driven mini crossbar switch from Northern
Electric. This would make it a lot like the 1ESS, except for the crossbar
instead of reed switches. Northern lost the rights to build Western
Electric designs after the #5 Crossbar. I think SP-1 was their first big
independent effort.

The computer went on to become the first core processor for the DMS-100
series, which came out of the same division of BNR and succeeded the SP-1.
The early, at least, DMS-100s kept the mini crossbar for electrical test
access. They were mounted on the back of the line module.
--
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

Need info on SP-1 switches

Post by Roger Gervai » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:24:31

Thank you very much.

Roger

> > Does any one out there have any info on SP-1 central office switches. I
am
> > doing a study on the Canadian Telecommunication System and have
> > encountered deployment of these switches in most Canadian provinces.

> > --
> > The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

> I believe the SP-1 was a computer driven mini crossbar switch from
Northern
> Electric. This would make it a lot like the 1ESS, except for the crossbar
> instead of reed switches. Northern lost the rights to build Western
> Electric designs after the #5 Crossbar. I think SP-1 was their first big
> independent effort.

> The computer went on to become the first core processor for the DMS-100
> series, which came out of the same division of BNR and succeeded the SP-1.
> The early, at least, DMS-100s kept the mini crossbar for electrical test
> access. They were mounted on the back of the line module.
> --
> The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

--
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

1. SP-2188 / SP-2388 Standards

I just received some news from Joe Decuir, chairman of TR29.2 on
availability of the Class 1 and Class 2 proposed fax standards.

For further information contact the EIA at:

        2001 Eye Stree, N.W.
        Washington, D.C. 20006
        202-457-4900

Class 1 suggests a very simple interface where almost all of the work
to implement the fax emulation (the infamous T.30 state machine) is
done in the host. Basically commands to send/receive HDLC data, and
send/receive fax data are defined. You get to do the rest.

Class 2 provides a more complicated interace where the fax emulation
is done in the modem, but controlled by the host. Approximatetly 40
commands are defined to control the modems behaviour, transfer data,
and control the emulation of the fax protocols. You have to know
enough of the T.30 state machine to control it, but you don't have to
actually implement it at the host level. [While this sounds hard, it's
simple enough that procomm can send or receive a fax using this
protocol with a script and one additional program to send/receive the
fax images. The extra program is apparantly only required due to
procomm being unable to pass null bytes.]

Stuart Lynne    Unifax Communications Inc.

2. intro stuuff for METAFONT ----> WHERE????

3. Datek Streamer - IE 5.0 (SP-1) - DSL issue???

4. CGI/BIN info needed

5. NTP on SP-1

6. Upgrading PalmPilot III OS and Desktop Software

7. Q: Any info on Floriate (sp.) Fax Modem

8. corrected version of Computational Geometry Day

9. Need info about Cisco catalyst 2948G switch..Urgent

10. CISCO Switch ATM info need !!!

11. Ringdale Megaswitch - info needed on DIP switches

12. Need switch/command info for Micom Dialnet 3000 modem

13. INFO NEEDED: Switching gadget for fax/voice for modem