US Sprint Cancels Rush Limbaugh 900 Service!

Post by John Higd » Thu, 17 Oct 1991 16:31:00

> I can understand US Sprint's desire to protect their network from
> overload, but their action today seems a bit harsh, to say the
> least ...

Several observations. First, Sprint has previously annouced its
intention to discontinue 900 service for everyone eventually. Second,
I guess Sprint has never heard of "choke" methods for dealing with a
high volume of calls directed to a single number. I know for a fact
that MCI knows how this is done (although in the situation that I was
aware of, they botched it badly).

Once again, this is an example of when the going gets tough, the OCCs
will fold on you every time.

        John Higdon         |   P. O. Box 7648   |   +1 408 723 1395

US Sprint Cancels Rush Limbaugh 900 Service!

Post by William Kuchars » Thu, 17 Oct 1991 05:43:45

Listening to today's (10/15) Rush Limbaugh program, a very interesting
event occurred.  Mr. Limbaugh had a 900 phone number, (900) VIP-RUSH,
which you could call to get information about his program and, more
importantly, to leave comments on a voice mail system.

Well, today Rush urged listeners who wanted to make a comment
regarding Judge Thomas and were frustrated attempting to call in to
the radio program to call the 900 number and leave comments there (he
had someone monitoring the voice mail and was occasionally playing
selections on the air.)

About one hour into the program, Rush announced a new number for the
VIP-RUSH line, because US Sprint had CANCELLED their service in
mid-show, stating that they were unable to deal with the load to their
network and were terminating service IMMEDIATELY.  Their other 900
provider, which uses MCI, said that MCI's network was running at 100%
capacity for a 900 phone poll regarding Thomas on yesterday's show,
but MCI didn't yank their service, either.

I can understand US Sprint's desire to protect their network from
overload, but their action today seems a bit harsh, to say the
least ...

William Kucharski, Solbourne Computer, Inc.     | Opinions expressed above

uucp:   ...!{boulder,sun,uunet}!stan!kucharsk   | of Solbourne...
Snail Mail: 1900 Pike Road, Longmont, CO  80501

US Sprint Cancels Rush Limbaugh 900 Service!

Post by John M. O'Shaughnes » Fri, 18 Oct 1991 01:52:09

I find it hard to believe that anyone's 900 service was cut off
(permenently?) due to technical reasons.  One of the neat things I
remember about my visit to Sprint's command center in Atlanta was that
any surges in calls could be easily rerouted.  Now, of they blocked
the calls due to service overload because of some contractual
agreement, that I might understand.

Open Systems Architects, Inc.    Minneapolis, MN

US Sprint Cancels Rush Limbaugh 900 Service!

Post by Thomas La » Sat, 19 Oct 1991 02:37:33

Quote:> About one hour into the program, Rush announced a new number for the
> VIP-RUSH line, because US Sprint had CANCELLED their service in
> mid-show, stating that they were unable to deal with the load to their
> network and were terminating service IMMEDIATELY.  Their other 900

It sounds to me as though the idea of a 900 *line might be a good
idea for Sprint to install.

Tom

US Sprint Cancels Rush Limbaugh 900 Service!

Post by Bryan Richards » Sun, 20 Oct 1991 02:10:58

Quote:O'Shaughnessy) writes:

[discussion about quick disconnection of 900 service]

Quote:> (permenently?) due to technical reasons.  One of the neat things I
> remember about my visit to Sprint's command center in Atlanta was that
> any surges in calls could be easily rerouted.  Now, of they blocked
> the calls due to service overload because of some contractual
> agreement, that I might understand.

There is an important difference here, that was hinted at in Mr.
Higdon's message.

"Re-routing" calls is a good thing if the calls are likely to be
completed, and, as a result, generate revenue.  This allows calls to
use idle circuits to other switches to be used in combination to
complete the call.

However, calls to this 900 number are not very likely to actually be
completed.  Thus, if they are "re-routed" to the destination and
occupy circuits that could otherwise be used for other, completable
traffic simply so the caller can hear a busy signal from the far end,
this is poor network management.  Re-routing is not appropriate for
these calls.

What should have been done by Sprint, if this was indeed the problem,
was to *the calls as they came into the network, allowing only a
small portion to actually attempt to complete to the far end.  This is
a much more elegant solution to avoiding over-loading a network than
it is to disconnect service entirely.  Whether or not Sprint has this
capability, and to what extent, I do not know.

Additionally, I do not know if this overloading was the reason service
was disconnected.  It was simply the implication in the initial
message.

AT&T Bell Laboratories and, for 1991, Purdue University
Disclaimer:  Neither AT&T nor Purdue are responsible for my opinions.

1. US Sprint Cancels Rush Limbaugh 900 Service!

It should be noted that Sprint provides not only the 900 carrier
services, but also operates a 900 Service Bureau from a division
called "Sprint Gateways."  I'd be willing to bet that Rush doesn't
have his own CPE for the 900 number, and that he uses the service
bureau.  I'm sure the network can effectively deal with high load
(even if "dealing with it" just means returning an "all circuits busy"
message), but that the voice processing equipment at the service
bureau may not.  If all the ports are constantly busy, ALL of Sprint's
900 service bureau customers may have a busy condition.  The Sprint
Gateways people are probably quite sensative to this, as I'd imagine
that other 900 customers would have a legitimate complaint that their
lines were unreachable, and might provide motivation to switch to
another carrier.  If Sprint had its act together, it would have in
place something within the network which would limit the number of
concurrent calls to any particular 900 number, so that a flood of
calls would not cause blockage at the service bureau.  That's a big
"if" in the case of Sprint, though ...

2. RedHat sendmail Hang

3. Rush Limbaugh ate my modem!

4. NEC 6x4 drivers needed

5. Rush Limbaugh VS BA DSL

6. SQL syntax for ASP

7. Cancelled Checks (was: SPRINT PLUS is Now Their Basic Service)

8. Setting the from line

9. AT&T & Sprint In 900-Number Class Action Suits

10. US Sprint Providing One-Way Service

11. US Sprint restricts some Int'l Long Distance Service?

12. REVISED: 5mi cordless (Lucent/EnGenius SN-900; 900 MHz)