Service to call US 800 #'s from Canada

Post by Dale Krame » Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Is there a service that I can use that allows me (in Canada) to call a toll
# in the US and then get tied into a line that lets me call an 800 number
that can not be normally dialed from Canada.  Is there any way at all
possible to call a US 800 # from Canada?

Dale Kramer

Post by nilsph.. » Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>Is there a service that I can use that allows me (in Canada) to call a
toll
># in the US and then get tied into a line that lets me call an 800 number
>that can not be normally dialed from Canada.  Is there any way at all
>possible to call a US 800 # from Canada?

Try AT&T access lines. I do not have the Canadian number, in the US
800-CALLATT and 800-321 0288  work. Then you would have to use an AT&T or
possibly local Telco credit card.  I use this outside of North America to
call US 800.  There is a rumor that  881 and 882 will be used to cover 800
and 888 from within the NANP (country code "1) but outside the US, I am
not sure if it includes Canada.

Tell me your results!

Regards

Nils Andersson

Post by Mark J. Cucci » Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Is there a service that I can use that allows me (in Canada) to call a toll
> # in the US and then get tied into a line that lets me call an 800 number
> that can not be normally dialed from Canada.  Is there any way at all
> possible to call a US 800 # from Canada?

> Dale Kramer

The following is supposed to work, but might not in all cases, due to the US
routing or billing aspects of the 800 (and 888) number and its carrier - the
same might also work for calling Canadian 800 (and 888) numbers -- from
Canada.

If the 800/888 number is not available for you to dial (free), from within
Canada (or at least BC), you can agree to PAY for part of the call, if you
still can't find the 'pots' (geographic) telephone number to call.

"Replace" the 800 with 880; "Replace" the 888 with 881.

Not all US carriers are allowing this form of access - sometimes due to that
the called customer with the 800/888 number didn't want to pay for any
incoming calls from outside of a paid-for (purchased) region. They might
still have to pay their carrier for the US inward (or portion of the US
inward) part of the 800 number.

Some US 800/888 numbers get the originating ANI of the caller, and then use
that for "pay-per-call" purposes, such that you PAY them something, as they
use your telephone number (when they found out when you dialed their 800/888
sexline, horoscope, etc), and then try to have the telcos eventually BILL you
for something!

If callers are dialing (and agreeing to pay) for "out-of-band" areas, the
called 800 number might not be able to get a billable ANI on their end to
"make up charges" to bill for, to that ANI. Those sleaze pay-per-call 800/888
numbers would 'refuse' calls placed via a 'legit' "caller-pays" 880 replace
code (for 800) and 881 replace code (for 888).

--
MARK J. CUCCIA   PHONE/WRITE/WIRE:     HOME:  (USA)    Tel: CHestnut 1-2497

Tel:UNiversity 5-5954(+1-504-865-5954)|New Orleans 28  |fwds on no-answr to
Fax:UNiversity 5-5917(+1-504-865-5917)|Louisiana(70128)|cellular/voicemail

Service to call US 800 #'s from Canada

Post by Margaret Nga » Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Try dialing same number with 1-700-xxx-xxxx instead of 1-800-xxx-xxxx.
Doesn't work all the time but sometimes it's OK.

--
Margaret Ngai
SynreVoice Technologies Inc.

Post by Linc Madis » Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Try dialing same number with 1-700-xxx-xxxx instead of 1-800-xxx-xxxx.
> Doesn't work all the time but sometimes it's OK.

It shouldn't ever work.  "700" is not permitted to be used in this manner.
The "700" pseudo-area-code is reserved for carrier-specific uses; i.e.,
in the U.S. if you dial 10xxx-1-700-aaa-bbbb and 10yyy-1-700-aaa-bbbb
(different carrier codes, but the same 1-700 phone number), you may get
wildly different results at wildly different rates.  (Same applies with
the newer 101xxxx carrier codes).  Even if "700" is not being used in
Canada for this purpose, it is not permitted as a "caller-pays 800" code.

As Mark Cuccia pointed out, the "approved" method for allowing people
outside the U.S. to dial (and pay for the call to) U.S. 800/888 numbers
is to replace 800->880 or 888->881.  BCTel has implemented this, for
example, in British Columbia.  I don't know about other provinces.

--
** Any unsolicited commercial e-mail sent to this address will be
subject to a $1500 processing fee.  Sending mail to this address,

Post by Mark J. Cucci » Wed, 13 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Try dialing same number with 1-700-xxx-xxxx instead of 1-800-xxx-xxxx.
> Doesn't work all the time but sometimes it's OK.

>> Is there a service that I can use that allows me (in Canada) to call a
>> toll number in the US and then get tied into a line that lets me call an
>> 800 number that can not be normally dialed from Canada.  Is there any way
>> at all possible to call a US 800 number from Canada?

The Bellcore N.American Numbering Plan (approved by the Industry Numbering
Committee) 'reserved' special area codes for 'international' originated
caller-agrees-to-pay to call an 800/888 number not normally available from
that location are 880 for 800, and 881 for 888.

These are supposed to work from British Columbia in Canada to call 800/888
numbers in the US which don't buy origination from Canada, and maybe even
800/888 numbers in Canada which might not have purchased origination from the
Canada's BC province. However, some 800/888 number holders might try to block
that form of access, as in some situations, they still have to pay for the US
portion of the inbound 800/888 call.

As for the use of 700 ... that special area code is assigned to each and
every carrier for its own purposes. Some carriers *might* have turned *their
own* applications of 700 into a 'caller-pays' 800. However, since Bellcore
NANPA and the INC have made an industry standard of 880 & 881, you would
think that those carriers will 'withdraw' use of 700 for 'caller pays' 800,
if any carriers ever did use 700 for that purpose.

Some Caribbean carriers had (still do?) been using 400 for 'caller-pays' 800
to such normally toll-free numbers in the US and Canada which didn't purchase
toll-free access from the Caribbean. Most of those originating locations
included Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, and other "Cable & Wireless" islands.
The Dominican Republic (GTE's Codetel) had/have been using 300 for the same
purposes.

Two years ago (Summer 1994), prior to 880 (and 881) being reserved as the
industry standard for 'caller-pays' 800 (and 888), Bellcore NANPA had
submitted to the INC (which was studying the matter of reserving 880) copies
of faxes between Bellcore and the various Caribbean locations. NANPA was
quite disturbed that the local island telcos in the Caribbean had 'self
assigned' themselves use of not officially assigned North American Numbering
Plan numbering resources. As far as the remainder of N.America was concerned,
300 & 400 (used as Area Codes or SAC's) were not yet assigned, but when they
will be, it will be a system-wide assignment, not intended for any local
entity or single carrier to 'self assign' themself such codes.

I've been told that such Caribbean islands which have been using 400 (or 300)
do 'intend' to 'switch over' to the use of 880/881, and cease use of 400 (or
300) from their networks.

However, according to GTE Codetel's "products & services" webpage - which
might not have been updated recently - and only available in Spanish -
http://www.codetel.net.do/codetel/proseco.html - and don't ask me to
translate anything here - I don't speak Spanish - I can 'somewhat' comprehend
what IS mentioned here (as I'd previously read about their use of 300):

"USA 300: Lnea 300, abre las puertas del mercado de los Estados Unidos para
acceso a las lneas 800 domsticas en dicho pas."

they are still using 300 as the 'caller pays' replace code to call US (and
Canadian?) 800 numbers which didn't buy toll-free origination from the
Dominican Republic.

MARK J. CUCCIA   PHONE/WRITE/WIRE:     HOME:  (USA)    Tel: CHestnut 1-2497

Tel:UNiversity 5-5954(+1-504-865-5954)|New Orleans 28  |fwds on no-answr to
Fax:UNiversity 5-5917(+1-504-865-5917)|Louisiana(70128)|cellular/voicemail

Service to call US 800 #'s from Canada

Post by Doug Fitzpatri » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

:>
:>>Is there a service that I can use that allows me (in Canada) to call a
:>toll
:>># in the US and then get tied into a line that lets me call an 800 number
:>>that can not be normally dialed from Canada.  Is there any way at all
:>>possible to call a US 800 # from Canada?

If you us BC Tel you can dial 880 to access the 800 numbers that aren't
available. The cost is $.18/minute.

Regards,
Doug

Delta, BC, Canada

Post by Danny Batema » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> > Is there a service that I can use that allows me (in Canada) to call a toll
> > # in the US and then get tied into a line that lets me call an 800 number
> > that can not be normally dialed from Canada.  Is there any way at all
> > possible to call a US 800 # from Canada?

> > Dale Kramer

> The following is supposed to work, but might not in all cases, due to the US
> routing or billing aspects of the 800 (and 888) number and its carrier - the
> same might also work for calling Canadian 800 (and 888) numbers -- from
> Canada.

> If the 800/888 number is not available for you to dial (free), from within
> Canada (or at least BC), you can agree to PAY for part of the call, if you
> still can't find the 'pots' (geographic) telephone number to call.

> "Replace" the 800 with 880; "Replace" the 888 with 881.

This works from Israel, via Bezek, to only (until next year) overseas
carrier.
When dialing an 800 or 888 number a recording from Bezek informs you
that you can
dial the toll-free number using 880 and pay usual direct dialing rates.
The
interesting part, is that Bezek gives you the same recording if you dial
888!!

> .[snip..]
> --
> MARK J. CUCCIA   PHONE/WRITE/WIRE:     HOME:  (USA)    Tel: CHestnut 1-2497

> Tel:UNiversity 5-5954(+1-504-865-5954)|New Orleans 28  |fwds on no-answr to
> Fax:UNiversity 5-5917(+1-504-865-5917)|Louisiana(70128)|cellular/voicemail

| Danny Bateman            Telrad Telecommunications    TX1 S/W
Department |

+972-8-927-3487 |

1. Service Wanted to Call US 800 Numbers From Canada

BC Tel offers this, but it is available only in British Columbia.
Several long distance carriers *used* to offer it when they had
line-side access, but the feature was lost when they converted to
trunk (ie "equal") access. It may still be available from some of the
smaller line-side resellers -- that would depend on where Mr. Kramer
is.

Of course the real solution would be for US companies with 800 and 888
numbers to realize that they have potential customers outside of the
50 states. This is a continuing grievance for Canadians, who could
dial the 800 numbers if only the companies advertising them would
instruct their carriers to allow calls from Canada.

It's even worse in other parts of the world -- it's astounding how
many computer companies, for example, run ads which are seen world
wide, with no method of contact except a US-only 800 or 888 number.

IAN ANGUS

Angus TeleManagement Group           http://www.angustel.ca
8 Old Kingston Road                  tel: 905-686-5050 ext 222
Ajax ON L1T 2Z7     Canada           fax: 905-686-2655

3. 800 service in Canada & US

4. DHCP Relay

5. Need Canada LD Company; I Need to Call Canada-Only 800 Number

6. DJGPP on Windows XP

7. How to Reach an 800 Number Restricted to US From Canada

8. Why is listener dying ?

9. Dialing "Blocked" US 1-800, 888, 877 Numbers from Canada

10. Dialing "Blocked" US 1-800, 888, 877 Numbers From Canada

11. How Can One Dial a US 1-800 Number From Canada?