quite tired of ICBTollFreeNews.Com spam

Post by Eric De Mun » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 20:43:17

John,

[ Pardon me if you're not John Levine. This is from memory, that you're
  standing in for Pat Townson. If it's you, Pat, reading this, I hope
  you're well. I miss your wit and occasional cantankerousness. (-: And
  the really clean editing job you do.
]

Is Judith Oppenheimer a sponsor of the Telecom Digest? If not, as a
somewhat long-time reader (ten years, now) of Telecom Digest, I find its
regular appearance really inappropriate. It's a commercial post, it's
filled with CAPS, and it's not 7-bit clean.

May I ask why it's permitted to air, over and over and over again?

Please forgive my rant. To me, Telecom Digest is a clean and pristine
"old-time" place on the Net, and this litter regularly coming to rest on
the neatly manicured lawn is especially jarring. 38 can't be too young
to be pining for the "old days" on the Net....

Regards,
Eric
--

http://www.ixian.com/ead/    | Mountain View, CA   | ED DD 4C 81 AA C9 D1 A5
--

Post by Wes Leatheroc » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 00:10:50

> John,

> [ Pardon me if you're not John Levine. This is from memory, that you're
>   standing in for Pat Townson. If it's you, Pat, reading this, I hope
>   you're well. I miss your wit and occasional cantankerousness. (-: And
>   the really clean editing job you do.
> ]

> Is Judith Oppenheimer a sponsor of the Telecom Digest? If not, as a
> somewhat long-time reader (ten years, now) of Telecom Digest, I find its
> regular appearance really inappropriate. It's a commercial post, it's
> filled with CAPS, and it's not 7-bit clean.

> May I ask why it's permitted to air, over and over and over again?

> Please forgive my rant. To me, Telecom Digest is a clean and pristine
> "old-time" place on the Net, and this litter regularly coming to rest on
> the neatly manicured lawn is especially jarring. 38 can't be too young
> to be pining for the "old days" on the Net....

> Regards,
> Eric
> --

> http://www.ixian.com/ead/    | Mountain View, CA   | ED DD 4C 81 AA C9 D1 A5

      Whatever are you talking about?  As the newsgroup comp.dcom.telecom
it is probably the cleanest group or electronic publication on the net.

      No ads, no caps, and all 7-bit.  (I read it on a 7-bit
terminal.)

      Does anyone have recent word on Pat's health or circumstances?

Wes Leatherock

--
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

quite tired of ICBTollFreeNews.Com spam

Post by Jay R. Ashwor » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 05:00:45

On 9 Feb 2001 06:43:17 -0500,

Quote:> Is Judith Oppenheimer a sponsor of the Telecom Digest? If not, as a
> somewhat long-time reader (ten years, now) of Telecom Digest, I find its
> regular appearance really inappropriate. It's a commercial post, it's
> filled with CAPS, and it's not 7-bit clean.

Judith was in fact a sponsor of the digest, but I haven't seen (in the
admittedly only couple weeks I've been back on Usenet) any postings of
her digest here.

Quote:> May I ask why it's permitted to air, over and over and over again?

As the other reply noted, have we missed something?

Quote:> Please forgive my rant. To me, Telecom Digest is a clean and pristine
> "old-time" place on the Net, and this litter regularly coming to rest on
> the neatly manicured lawn is especially jarring. 38 can't be too young
> to be pining for the "old days" on the Net....

:-)

I suspect you didn't realize that the newsgroup is currently being
moderate by a robot until after you posted this; good job not going too
far over the line.

I dunno where Pat is; I gather from some offhand comments that it's a
closely held secret.  I miss him, too.

But it hasn't been too bad; the robot (which is, indeed, operated by
John Levine, or at least, he set it up) seems to be doing a pretty good
job...

Cheers,
-- jra
--

Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink
The Suncoast Freenet         The Things I Think
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

quite tired of ICBTollFreeNews.Com spam

Post by Marshall A. Levi » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 05:31:30

I find (found) them very annoying, too.

Very easy solution(s):

if you read the digest on usenet, add it to your kill file
if you read the digest in email, add a mail filter rule
--
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

quite tired of ICBTollFreeNews.Com spam

Post by John R Levi » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 05:52:06

Quote:>Judith was in fact a sponsor of the digest, but I haven't seen (in the
>admittedly only couple weeks I've been back on Usenet) any postings of
>her digest here.

Judith still is a sponsor of the digest.

I'm not comfortable putting stuff with ads out on usenet, so her
messages go into the e-mail version of the digest but not out to
usenet.  I find them pretty interesting, so since I read the digest on
usenet, I've subscribed to them directly.

Quote:>I dunno where Pat is; I gather from some offhand comments that it's a
>closely held secret.  I miss him, too.

It's not secret, I talked to him on the phone yesterday.  He's in a
nursing home near Chicago and he was sounding pretty good.  I'll dig
up the address and post some more details.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 387 6869

Member, Provisional board, Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail
--
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

quite tired of ICBTollFreeNews.Com spam

Post by Jay R. Ashwor » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 11:52:41

On 9 Feb 2001 15:52:06 -0500,

Quote:> I'm not comfortable putting stuff with ads out on usenet, so her
> messages go into the e-mail version of the digest but not out to
> usenet.  I find them pretty interesting, so since I read the digest on
> usenet, I've subscribed to them directly.

Oh.  *That's* why I didn't know what he was talking about.  :-)

Quote:> >I dunno where Pat is; I gather from some offhand comments that it's a
> >closely held secret.  I miss him, too.

> It's not secret, I talked to him on the phone yesterday.  He's in a
> nursing home near Chicago and he was sounding pretty good.  I'll dig
> up the address and post some more details.

Hmmmm... had sounded like one previously.  We look forward to hearing;
I'm sure a blizzard of Get Well This Century cards wouldn't ruin his
outlook any.  :-)

Cheers,
- jra
--

Post by John David Gal » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 11:52:54

> I'm not comfortable putting stuff with ads out on usenet, so her
> messages go into the e-mail version of the digest but not out to
> usenet.  I find them pretty interesting, so since I read the digest on
> usenet, I've subscribed to them directly.

On Usenet they would be easy to filter out; unlike a spammer, she always
uses the same subject line with only the issue number changed.  But in a
mail digest I would expect it to be a problem, because you can't filter
anything unless you have some kind of "digest splitter" running locally.

I'm all for including newsletters like hers, Telecom Update (Canada), etc.
even though I filter most of them out.
--
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail