Anyone Seen Call Transfer Like Vonage

Post by nospam-0.. » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:21:28

Actually, I *have* seen call transfer like Vonage, from the VoIP
company that did it first: VoicePulse (http://www.voicepulse.com/).
In the last three or four months, VoicePulse has introduced several
new and innovative features, and call transfer just happens to be one
of them.  Once VoicePulse had introduced the feature, Vonage customers
apparently started requesting it, and when Vonage implemented it they
even used the same code (90#) to initiate the transfer.  I'm not
saying VoicePulse was the first to ever do something like this, but
Vonage *definitely* wasn't the first.

I've been watching the VoIP scene develop for the past few months and
one thing I've noticed is that among the "big three" VoIP providers
(VoicePulse, Packet8, and Vonage), VoicePulse looks to be the clear
leader in features now, and is even a bit less expensive than
Vonage. I think the only reason they aren't the larger company is
because they have numbers for incoming calls in relatively few area
codes.  But that said, just a few days ago they announced that they
are offering numbers in the 212 area code in New York City.  Somehow,
I have a feeling those are going to get snapped up rather quickly!

Anyone Seen Call Transfer Like Vonage

Post by Frequent_Flye » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 02:22:48

I have been keeping my eye the leaders in Home VoIP myself and I agree
wiht you about Voicepulse features.  However, I believe Vonage will
counter with some of the features.

In my area, I only had the choice of Packet8 and Vonage.  I went with
Vonage because of the features.  At the time, Packet8 was more
expensive and required a contract.  That have since lowered their
price and don't require a contract.  Since Vonage has not lowered
their price, my understanding is they are going to continue to add
features to the 39.99 plan for no additional charges.

FF

Review of Vonage:
http://www.schapers.org/vonage.html

Quote:> Actually, I *have* seen call transfer like Vonage, from the VoIP

Post by John R. Cover » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 17:11:06

> In the last three or four months, VoicePulse has introduced several
> new and innovative features, and call transfer just happens to be one
> of them.  Once VoicePulse had introduced the feature, Vonage customers
> apparently started requesting it, and when Vonage implemented it they
> even used the same code (90#) to initiate the transfer.

Well, if VoicePulse introduced it in the last four or five months,
then they copied Vonage, not the other way around.

I first subscribed to Vonage in October (October 09, 2002, to be
precise), and the call transfer feature (#90) was operational as of at
least that date, over nine months ago.

As for "home Centrex call transfer" -- this feature is generally
included in home Centrex, and although it may be described as only
allowing transfer to other "stations in the Centrex", since home
Centrex is not a real centrex -- speed calling is used for internal
dialing -- there is no real Centrex built in the switch, but Centrex
features are applied to the line, you end up with the ability to
transfer a call to anywhere.

But it wouldn't surprise me that no one at the business office knows
that.

/john

1. Anyone Seen Call transfer Like Vonage

Vonage has a great free feature called call transfer.

"It's easy to transfer a call to a third party. Just press the flash
button or switch hook on your Vonage line telephone and dial #90. Dial
the 11 digit number where you want the call transferred. Then dial #
and you will hear a dial tone. Hang up the phone and the transfer will
take place. "

I would use vonage but I am over 19K from my CO so I can only get ISDN
(type) connection at the moment. So the quality is not reliable
enough.

Any other telcoms offering such a feature?

Thanks.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note:  Yes, any of the telcos which offer
'home centrex'-like features have that offering, which is all of the
Bell telcos, and many independents. Ask at your local telco, but I
do not know off hand what tradename they use for home centrex. PAT]

2. biggest switch with ios 12

3. Anyone Seen Call Transfer Like Vonage - Seems NOT!

4. Req: Printing protected PDF files

5. Vonage dropping calls every 20-30 mins: anyone else?

6. Change Pocket Theme (*.tsk) automatically

7. USR Sportster, NT 4.0, call drop: anyone seen this work?

8. Norton Ghost - error 12020

9. fastest transfer method I have seen.

10. Vonage local calling areas

11. Vonage/Cisco ATA - Incoming Calls