How Can One Dial a US 1-800 Number From Canada?

How Can One Dial a US 1-800 Number From Canada?

Post by wood » Thu, 22 Jul 1993 04:30:00

There are Canadian long distance resellers like Smart-Talk Network
(STN) and Fonorola that have offered access to U.S. 800 numbers for
some time now.

Of course, one can also sign up for a service like Telepassport <plug,
plug> which could give such access as well.

On a related topic, now that many ITU folks have joined us, what's the
exact status of an international toll-free country code? Are there
serious plans to get something like an 800 country code assigned for
international calling?

David Leibold

Post by Gerry Geor » Fri, 23 Jul 1993 10:04:24

> On a related topic, now that many ITU folks have joined us, what's the
> exact status of an international toll-free country code? Are there
> serious plans to get something like an 800 country code assigned for
> international calling?

I was just talking to the manager of commercial services at Cable &
Wireless in St. Lucia (C&W is a government approved monopoly in most
of the English-speaking Caribbean islands). She informed me that toll
free service will be available soon to businesses (or anyone who wants
to pay ...).  Access is determined by zones: zone 1 being the Eastern
Caribbean islands (Trinidad in the south thru to Antigua or is that
St. Kitts as the northern-most island). Zone 2 extends to include
Jamaica *and* the US (not sure but also includes Canada), etc.  I
asked what the dialed numbers would be like and I was told --
1-800-xxx.xxxx

[BTW, while their general rates are ridiculously high IMO, *and* they
are a monopoly, they do not have any restrictions to the number of
lines they will feed to a residence, as long as they have the circuits
available -- good news for me.  Soon ...]

1. How Can One Dial a US 1-800 Number From Canada?

I'm posting this for a friend ...

A friend in Canada wants to dial 1-800 numbers in the US from Canada
but most of the time he cannot. I know there used to be a number in
the US he could call to dial out 1-800 numbers but I forgot it. (I
don' t even know if it is still running.) Please e-mail me because I
don't use usenet/netnews that much. Thanks in advance.

[Moderator's Note: Please tell your friend that he can call USA 800
numbers *if the owner of the number wants to be called from Canada* by
simply dialing the number in the usual way. If the call does not go
through, then the USA subscriber *does not want* to pay for calls from
Canadians. Certain carriers allow you to call the USA on your nickle,
*then* continue on the USA side to an 800 number. But you must pay to
get to the USA unless the owner of the 800 number has agreed to accept
calls from international points.   PAT]

2. Oracle resource files on a Data General Aviion

3. WANTED: Amiga games

4. Dialing "Blocked" US 1-800, 888, 877 Numbers from Canada

5. How to run c program in command line

6. Dialing "Blocked" US 1-800, 888, 877 Numbers From Canada

7. Filenames

8. Dialing "Blocked" US 1-800, 888, 877 Numbers from Canada

9. How Can One Dial a US 1-800 Number From <Somewhere>?

10. Dialing US 1-800 # from Canada

11. US 1-800 Number Access From Japan